forum

Summer 2015 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
show more
Green Platinum
Okusama ga Seitokaichou: About as good as I'd expect from a series that couldn't get a 20 minute timeslot

Gangsta: Does everything a first episode should, this series should go well.

Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace: Really too much is unknown to make any calls at this point. Seems unique so it shouldn't be overshadowed by another similar series
blissfulyoshi
Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace: It is hard for me to rate mystery series by their first eps, but I feel their logic about accomplice being quite difficult to follow. I feel giving clues and deductions clearly is paramount for a mystery series. On the aniamtion side adding on the really awkward real life like backgrounds and enlarged textues, made every character feel out of place and created a disjoint work. You could call it stylistic, but it felt like it was focusing my eyes to change focus in completely pointless ways.

Gangsta:
Very nice intro ep introducing all the major characters and the setting they live in. Admittedly they did go out of their ways to introduce the families which aren't supposed to be introduced till much later, but they did a good job there.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Gangsta: The quality was decent, nothing too great but it wasn't bad either. It wasn't too fast of a first episode and did a nice job to set up characters and environment.
Lanturn
Gangsta: Not bad. It had good pacing, and the animation was solid. The question for me is if they can hold the quality into the next few episodes. Also I loved the ED theme a more than the opening. It's kinda nice knowing that we might get an Annabel map sometime soon.

Okusama ga Seitokaichou!: Am I the only one who thinks they used the wrong seiyuu for the MC girl? Nothing really stood out for me anyways. Don't really see a point in watching this since other shows could easily provide better fanservice if I wanted it... and I'll probably get it better through To Love Ru (and maybe monster musume??)

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Lapras: So it was alright. Definitely doesn't have any special charm to it. I really disliked the OP theme, but the ending wasn't horrible. I might give it one more episode, but I don't think I'll be sticking with this.

Gate: A bit too censored, and a bit of a slow start. I'm still undecided if I like the MC as well. Definitely need to watch episode 2 before I decide how much I like it. If you haven't watched it yet, then I suggest holding off for a week. Anyways... The micro transaction part was funny and the animation minus the censored battles was decent enough. All the seiyuu's seem to be in place as well. Definitely not bad.

Time to watch more...
blissfulyoshi
Symphogear GX: (watched the raws) I thought I was hyped enough for this show, but I was sadly not. Super crazy intro, amazingly animated concert, and a decent battle scene. So 4 new songs and even a new transformation scene. This went way beyond my expectation.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Symphogear GX: (watched the raws) I thought I was hyped enough for this show, but I was sadly not. Super crazy intro, amazingly animated concert, and a decent battle scene. So 4 new songs and even a new transformation scene. This went way beyond my expectation.
*furiously waits for subtitles* It's an idol anime but I can't help but have the desire to watch it.

EDIT: The 2nd part of Little Witch Academia suddenly appeared. This was in the TBA section so idk where this came from.
blissfulyoshi
Little Witch Academia premiered at AX earlier today (didn't attend the screening though).

Oh well, will watch in a bit assuming I don't call asleep from these last few shows

Miss Monochrome S2:
Cheap, but sort of amusing robot jokes from Miss Monochrome. Nothing amazing, but I'll watch anotehr ep.

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri: Despite how well most of it is animated, a 24minute short story with no drama, poorly animated action, very few jokes, and who knows what else, is bound to put people to sleep. I had so much hope for this show because it was A-1 making it, but I feel really let down.

Wakaba*Girl
A 4-koma that is not funny and badly animated, easy drop.

Edit: As a note, God Eater is making its premier at AX on Saturday night, so a high chance of a release going up for that too.
Green Platinum
Miss Monochrome S2: Yui Horie's autotuned voice is as obnoxious as ever. The opening theme is especially cacophonous. Like season 1 in structure.

Classroom Crisis : I really don't see this turning out amazing. Seems average.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu: The OP threw me off for a bit. Could be okay but survival game anime have never stood up very well and I think the rest will feel too similar to Ouran in nature. It will really need to step up it's game.

GATE: Lost me extremely quickly. At least they didn't keep heath bars or other gaming references.

Wakaba Girl: Cute, that's about it.
blissfulyoshi
Classroom☆Crisis: Idealistic yet naive MCs usually just make me angry, and this show is no exception. Tacking on an environment that obv is against his ideals, just made me hate the mc more. The few lackluster jokes couldn't save this show from my dislike.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
God Eater isn't scheduled to air for another week. The AX showing is prolly a special early showing of it then.
blissfulyoshi
Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Aoharu x Machinegun): Passably animated reverse harem for a tomboyish girl joining a survival game club. Jokes were pass.... yeah everything just seemed good enough to try another ep but not be amazed. Only interesting note is how much environment destruction there was. Door imprints, and ground breaking on the start of your foot movement...... this is not some cray shonen action series I thought.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Symphogear GX: It's all bliss' fault that I like this. I normally don't like idol anime but I can get into fighting idols.

Little Witch Academia 2: A solid 7/10. Most of the problems I had with it is that the fps is below 15 and the pacing is way too fast at many points.
[ yogurt ]
Aoharu x Kikanjuu - By the OP I thought it was yaoi, but it's literally Tsugumi from Nisekoi and airsoft. It has potential for fun.

Classroom Crisis - What blissfulyoshi said. And there were jokes? Didn't notice them.

Gate - Needs more time. I really hope there will be catgirls. Pretty tuned down for a seinen.

Gangsta - Nick is moe. I've been waiting for gangster/mafia anime for quite some time now.

Gatchaman Crowds - S1 was fun, I hope it will be fun as well.

Symphogear GX - My life is SYMPHOGEAR.

To watch: Little Witch Academia, Wakaba Girl, Okusama wa Seitokaichou, Charlotte, Dandelion subs when?

Charlotte - MC is a dick, but looks like he's going to be straightened up. Satisfying 1st episode.

Wakaba Girl - I love cute SoL shorts.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - By the OP I thought it was yaoi, but it's literally Tsugumi from Nisekoi and airsoft. It has potential for fun.

Classroom Crisis - What blissfulyoshi said. And there were jokes? Didn't notice them.

Gate - Needs more time. I really hope there will be catgirls. Pretty tuned down for a seinen.

Gangsta - Nick is moe. I've been waiting for gangster/mafia anime for quite some time now.

Gatchaman Crowds - S1 was fun, I hope it will be fun as well.

Symphogear GX - My life is SYMPHOGEAR.

To watch: Little Witch Academia, Wakaba Girl, Okusama wa Seitokaichou, Charlotte, Dandelion subs when?
I'm waiting to judge Gatchaman Crowds Insight until the actual first episode airs. The one shown was the intro and too much of it was recap for me to make any sort of impact for a first impression.
Faust
Gangsta:

Off to a good impression here. Enjoyed the pacing and the setting.
Nothing very outlandish, and pretty decent voice-acting on Nick's part !

Staying tuned.
meii18
Hetalia:The World Twinkle
The intro of this anime was very colorful for me,a lot of sparkles.Also the ending was awesome,even there's is a 'strange' dance.The part with rackets impresioned me at all, the countries in chibi style and their mochis...A great anime but unfortunately only 3 episodes were released
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Gatchaman Crowds: Insight: The actual first episode definitely left a better first impression on me than the intro episode did. Altho the art style is not extremely detailed, the simplicity of it holds up to that of the first season. The pacing didn't seem too fast or too slow, and the addition of the couple newer characters worked as well.

Working!!!: I fairly like the Working series, and the first episode held up to the charm of the previous seasons. 3 seasons may be over doing it a bit tho...

Aquarion Logos: Nothing too special so far. So far not holding up to the previous Aquarion series for me. I might change my mind later on.
Green Platinum
Charlotte: Interested in what direction this will take. No characters particularly appeal for the time being. The little sister gets on my nerves.

Rokka no Yuusha: The fights look great otherwise the plot seems pretty cut-and-dry.

Shimoneta: Completely nuts
Navizel
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace - I don't really follow the logic in this show. The butterfly might be foreshadowing but for now, the two minutes of walking as intro was pointless. Stupid grayscale on almost all characters is annoying. Even the characters themselves are annoying. The main character is putting me off so much, both in attitude and appearance. Goddamn feminine features. Just make him a girl. His friend just looked like someone who is prying too much because of lack of background. Not going to continue this one. The fact that this show makes murder mysteries look fun and not serious/dark is another factor that put me off. Just like how NGNL made being a NEET look cool.

Classroom*Crisis - Utter boring. Feels like Rolling Girls except in space.

Wakaba*Girl - Unfunny slice of life short. Dropped.

Working!!! - Same old Wagnaria. Inami seems less annoying now. On the first episode at least. I wonder how long it will last.
Green Platinum

Navizel wrote:

The butterfly might be foreshadowing but for now, the two minutes of walking as intro was pointless.
I think the butterfly is there for the Butterfly effect and it's connection to Laplace's demon and the associated thought experiment. It's still a red flag nonetheless.
[ yogurt ]
Rokka no Yuusha - FANTASY ADVENTURE FUCK YEAH.

Dragon Ball Chou - It's Dragon Ball after all.

Shimoneta - It's more than I thought it'd be, that's for sure.

So far I'm liking this season.

DANDELION WHEN.
Green Platinum
Ushio to Tora: A hotblooded shounen series. Nothing too deep but could be a fun watch.

Working!!!: The same formula as the previous 2 seasons. I hope they mix some things up this season I can see it getting dull.

Symphogear S3: Let's be honest this isn't an idol anime, it's a sentai anime.
[ yogurt ]

Green Platinum wrote:

Was it ever anything else than mahou/mecha shoujo power rangers?
Green Platinum

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Was it ever anything else than mahou/mecha shoujo power rangers?

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Symphogear GX: It's all bliss' fault that I like this. I normally don't like idol anime but I can get into fighting idols.
Faust
Gatchaman CROWDS Insight

Cool addition to the existing team. Doesn't have a pair of breasts as large as Hajime but still a cutie.

Pretty stunning OP sequence. Their Prime Minister is an idiot. Will see where this goes.
blissfulyoshi
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai: A lot of dirty jokes, that I didn't always understand and not much else. Plotline felt painful to watch, so I probably can't recommend this to anyone.
Green Platinum

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai: A lot of dirty jokes, that I didn't always understand and not much else. Plotline felt painful to watch, so I probably can't recommend this to anyone.
The series is obviously supposed to be an illuminating insight into hyper liberal social justice ideals, focussing heavily on sex negativity. I wonder if there will be episodes on patriarchy, white guilt and the cis-gendered. /s
EneT
Rokka No Yuusha:
The animation looked really great in the first episode but I can't really say much about the plot. Hopefully the plot holds up as it progresses otherwise I'll just stick around for the animation.

Charlotte:
No idea how this anime will progress but so far I'm liking the main character. Never really have high expectations for A-1 pictures and I see this anime just being something to watch when you want to pass the time.
Lanturn
Classroom: I really don't know what to say. It has that generic emotionless girl that I could care less about. I"m still just trying to figure out what this show is. Overall Blue/Red, but I'll leave blue for now.

Wakaba*Girl: If you enjoy cute things a lot I guess you'll like it? I found this pretty boring though. Thankfully it was only 10 mins.... minus 1:30 for the pointlessly long opening.

Dragon Ball Chou: This is exactly what I wanted. A nice laid back episode with some pretty funny moments, and each character keeps their own unique charm. To be honset, there's no better way to start this series with a nice re-introduction (or rather, just showing off the wonderful personalities) of the characters. It definitely feels like this will be a complete arc if it starts off with a few filler/comedy episodes before going into the action. Even if I'm bias towards this series, I still think this episode did everything it was supposed to, staying true to the dragon ball formula.

Charlotte: Definitely interested in this. Great first episode!

Ushio to Tora: Pretty cool. It definitely catches the 90s style in all aspects. Great first episode to start it off as well, definitely want to continue this.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen: wtf?

Rokka no Yuusha: Strong first episode, all of the characters feel very powerful. I like it. The first battle was very well executed. Looking forward to see how this story plays. Opening/Ending felt very natural as well.

Wakako-zake: Those eyes.

well uh. Definitely found some nice shows so far. Now to wait for the last few to come out tomorrow and the next few days.

small edit:

Aoharu x Kikanjuu: I really don't know what to say to this. I'll probably try one or two more episodes anyways.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Charlotte: I'll keep watching.

Rokka no Yuusha: Solid characters, fights, and design. The story didn't seem to start establishing much till the end but this definitely has a chance.

Dragon Ball Chou: Oh no it's DB.
xxdeathx
Student Council President is my Wife - wtf lol

Gate - quite a fun, interesting first episode and choice of main character. seems like it'll be different now that they've gone into the gate but I have high hopes for this one.

Charlotte - main character seems like a somewhat more selfish (not necessarily a bad thing) Lelouch

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - was not what I was expecting. another one of those "game" animes.

Rokka no Yuusha - this one is really fun. I really like the setting and story so far. Main character is a little conceited but he gets along well with the princess/maid (not hard to tell it was her).

Game of Laplace - nope, another trap character and one that's a little too excited about being a suspect of a murder. i'd like to know who killed the teacher for real but not feeling like sitting through kobayashi being retarded.

Gangsta - I really disliked pretty much everything about this show. Right from the start it is entirely about gangs, murder, prostitution, and corruption with no shortage of gruesome execution scenes and nothing to enjoy. Call me shallow or close-minded, but to me, as a medium anime only works well with the common "standard" content such as action/adventure, comedy, moe, drama, romance, and outside of these kinds of things it's much harder to not be terrible. The weird/edgy shows like this, Ping Pong, Zankyou no Terror are always a gamble, but I think the latter two weren't as bad as this.

A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist - Mildly interesting but not laugh out loud. I feel I must be getting too old for these jokes to be funny.
Rio-
Okusama ga Seitokaichō! - idk what to say about this one, but somehow it reminded me of KissxSis but only with short-episodes imo (and yes, I haven't read the manga yet). I'll give this red for now, because first-episode doesn't really impress me at all...

Gangsta. - First Episode is great and I enjoyed most of the points here (settings, Arts, soundtracks, etc). Also it kinda reminds me of Jormungand, which is one of my favourite Gangster/Criminal Anime.

Gate Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakeri - I think I need more Episodes to think if this series is good or not (just like a typical first episode that happens in most of Apocalypse-theme series, about the humanity crisis and all that). But I think this series will become a promising series to watch later.

Rokka no Yuusha - This series looks promising for me, I hope my impression stays at it is for the next episodes too. also I like the both OP/ED and the Soundtracks too.

Classroom Crisis - I had no idea what really happens in the first episode at all. Either red or blue, but I'll leave this red for now because i don't really found anything special in the first episode (seems generic to me).
[ yogurt ]

xxdeathx wrote:

Gate - quite a fun, interesting first episode and choice of main character. seems like it'll be different now that they've gone into the gate but I have high hopes for this one.
I pray they won't censor it to ground like they did with first episode.
Green Platinum
Welp looks like I won't be seeing anything for a few days. I can barely get above 30kb/s on my net.
Phos24
Ushio to Tora: Pretty nice throwback to the 90's battle shounens, the artwork and animation filled me with nostalgia and it seems like it'll be an interesting ride.

Gangsta: Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but the deaf MC alone is enough to make this worth watching for me at least. Pretty nice OP and ED to boot.

Gate: One of the more interesting concepts of the season. The MC is nice since we finally get an otaku whose character is completely blown out of proportion just for the sake of being an otaku. Also, Dragons vs. Helicopters? Count me in!

Shimoneta: Not sure how to feel about this one. The pervy-ness might be a little too much for me but I laughed at least.

Game of Laplace: That MC can't possibly be a boy, I tell you. Seriously though, I'm not that big of a fan of the art direction but I'm a sucker for murder mystery stuff so if they can pull it of well I'll probably have a way better opinion on this one. Also, that ED is probably one of my favorites of all time already.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu First a trap, now a reverse trap. Great. At least this one left me with a better impression right off the bat. If they are smart about when to follow the made-up serious action of the battles and the rest of the comedy, I'll probably love this one.

Charlotte: I'd heard a lot of hype going on about this one in particular, but if I had to describe my first impression in one word, it would be "bland". I hope this will get better so it can at least live up to its hype but as I was watching it I almost fell asleep. It's by no means bad, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it doesn't do anything special, for now.

Rokka no Yuusha: Loved the first fight, if they can keep introducing more strategic battles instead of "let's overpower them with brute force and the power of magic and friends" this is going to be a good one. But I swear, if I hear anything about being the strongest man in the world even one more time I'm going to punch someone.

Durarara!!x2 Ten: Does this one even count? Anyway, it's Durarara. I expected greatness and that's what I saw.

Classroom Crisis: I was too confused for most of the episode since apparently they didn't even bother trying to explain whatever the hell was going on, but the setting is pretty unique and I liked the soundtrack and visuals, so I'll give it a chance.

That's it for now, I think.
Navizel
Shimoneta - What the f***. Trying too hard with the *** jokes. The Manzai banter (tsukkomi-boke) is lame. I don't even know why the color is blue. Don't ask me. Though I commend Blue Snow for teaching Japan the process of ****** intercourse. Who knows? Maybe she is the one who will solve Japan's declining birth rate.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - even more lame. As if Laplace isn't enough.

Little Witch Academia 2 - AOTS
blissfulyoshi
Rokka no Yuusha: Following the cocky but powerful protag formula that has gotten popular as of late, this show had fairly solid animation (esp during fights) and some fun characters.

Ushio to Tora: I really hate the 90s art. The cliche storyline is not really helping anything (not that I care much about plot when watching anime), but I can't deny that it was done in an okay fashion (nowhere as good as Rokka no Yuusha but it was passable)

Non Non Biyori Repeat:
Very low tension and relaxing, but the few jokes that were thrown in were great. I'm a little worried because of how much of a slideshow this ep was and the lack of nyanpasu, but I have hope.

Durarara!!x2 Ten: Just another contuation of last season, but the op looks lower budget than before, so I'm afraid they are just trying to hurry this along. Like before, there is also nothing original being tried technique wise, so it might get boring fast.

Chaos Dragon: Ignoring the frame skipping first 30s, it was a passably animated with a lot of stills but the use of color was great. Storyline could be well better..., but seeing the fights in the episode 2 preview, I think the fights are what I'll look forward to. (I have a heavy Silver Link bias)
Green Platinum

Welcome to fucking Australia
$140 AUD for this
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Non Non Biyori Repeat: It was relaxing and just fun to watch. Calm and smooth, but some of the moments felt out of place.

Chaos Dragon: What was with the lag at the beginning? The story doesn't seem to be established yet with it. The colours are very bright and bold, which helped with keeping my attention on it. All the blood and fire gives me hopes this will turn out alright.
Lanturn
Chaos Dragon: Eh... was decent I guess but not really anything special. It also feels like the characters should be about 2-3 years older. I want to give it a few more episodes because it still looks promising, but I'm really not that impressed with the first episode.

To Love-Ru: Censoring is as strong as ever in this. Anyways.. basically the same ol stuff.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: I guess if you want a romance anime, then this one will be it? So the first episode was pretty well done. The introduction and personalities of each character is simply amazing. Great Voice Acting, and a great setting. I'm not sure how this will turn out in the long run, but they did a good job with the first episode.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Too many characters! Interesting at least anyways.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa: I really don't care for the art. There are better shows out this season, so I don't really care for it.

I think that's every non-sequel minus monster musume now? (and god eater ff) (and overlord... and yeah.. I guess there is a lot more)
show more