forum

How to progress smartly through the basic levels of gameplay

posted
Total Posts
show more
Deva

yamane-kurou wrote:

on topic... so basically if a map is in the 99%-100% collection it's basically not interesting for training and is only played for fun right?
Train you accuracy, unstable rate, aim, consistency, streaming speed/stamina.
So yea, everything.
Topic Starter
Endaris

yamane-kurou wrote:

on topic... so basically if a map is in the 99%-100% collection it's basically not interesting for training and is only played for fun right?
that's pretty much correct.
99%+ always means that you can do most parts of the map with very high consistence and that the troublesome parts aren't plenty or difficult enough to make the map worthwile for practice. It doesn't have to be worthless for practice but maps from lower brackets are better in most cases.
Barusamikosu

yamane-kurou wrote:

You can always go for the SS
yamane-kurou
and another question....

what should I do with the Maps that I know are way above my skill. like at the moment I can play maps around between 1.5 and 2 stars... yeah I know I suck XD should I still play 4, 5, 6 star difficulties of a song with no fail to sort them into <88% or can I just put them there without playing because I just know there is no way for me to pass them.
Topic Starter
Endaris
You don't put maps into a bracket before you played them.

The first is sightreading maps you didn't play before.
Use a rather broad difficulty range here. As the maximum difficulty I would recommend a stardifficulty you're confident that you can get a B on though.

To find such maps you can set filters by typing "star>a.bc star<x.yz" and then happily press F2 or filter by difficulty and work your way through(If you downloaded a lot of maps you can skip songs where the preview sounds disgusting to you).
It's up to you where you put the edges of your search. If you're aware that you can't play 4-star maps you should choose your upper border accordingly.
Mahogany

Endaris wrote:

yamane-kurou wrote:

that's pretty much correct.
99%+ always means that you can do most parts of the map with very high consistence and that the troublesome parts aren't plenty or difficult enough to make the map worthwile for practice.
I assume you mean to say this if you've already FCed the map? I have plenty of 5 star maps I've gotten 99% on but have yet to FC, and would still learn a lot from playing them.
Topic Starter
Endaris
But
Maho
This is for beginners between 0 and 1500pp
No beginner is an accuracyspook like you are(and most more experienced players aren't as well). If they get good acc they do because they can read the map and have the speed and aim to get good acc on it.
The vast majority of bad accuracy at this level comes from misreading, lack of speed or lack of technique. It's obvious that it doesn't apply to someone who mastered the game's basics.
Mahogany
I suppose you're right

I've lost my understanding of easier diffs xd
Topic Starter
Endaris
As stated in OP it stretches to roughly 1500pp which roughly equals the ability to play any map up to 3.5 stars that isn't poorly mapped or very special. It's just an estimate from me though. I still use this system.

When moving on to easy and medium insanes you'll get very different results depending on how much the map caters your skillset - this already applies to easier maps but the further you move the greater the difference becomes. As you can see from my topplays I have some 99%+ FCs on maps that are 4,5-4,95 stars but this is due to the map catering my skillset very well:
They are relatively aimheavy, not very fast, easy to read and possess no longer streams(more than 8 notes) and on some of them triples even tend to end on a slider which makes them easier to get 300s on.
This is a combination that a lot of players are good at which why some of these maps are also considered "farm-maps" to get some easy pp.

And then there are maps like this:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/119582

This map has a tricky rhythm and you need good reading to see if the stacked notes are 1/2 or 1/4. As it's also kind of fast you don't have time to think and it is hard to get good accuracy on it. I have to give a serious effort to gain about 95% and I'm not consistent enough to FC it even though it has only 3,78 stars. And in this example the map is not bad, it's me who is bad.
There are other maps around 3.5-4 stars that are too hard for me to either FC or get good accuracy on.

Now the lame thing is that if I keep sightreading maps from 3.5-4 stars I get bored cause any map that follows the aimheavy+easy to read pattern is relatively easy and I can get a lot of good plays into my higher brackets without finding a map that is suited for practice due to this kind of map being dominant.
This is obviously boring and as a result I prefer sightreading stuff from 3.8 stars up to 5 stars(and let other ppl give me hard maps at low star diff).
As a result the star diff of the maps I practice by brackets and the star diff of maps I sightread diverges and most maps that turn out to be good practice on sightread are maps that I have to play with NF AND due to the difficulty sort I won't even play them for a long time due to lower star maps "blocking" me.

Theoretically you're right. Of course this system should keep being useful if one really focuses on getting an allround-skillset but my intention was to give new players a practice system that will give them a grasp of the basic things they need to enjoy the game for a long time:
Being able to play smooth triples, medium jumps, read some non-obvious patterns and maintain good accuracy overall(if they want to).
It's up to everyone where he wants to go with his gameplay but these things will help you out on every map.
The ability to SS this map is nice and dandy but there's no need for it to enjoy the game for a very long time regardless of your motivation to play.
SkullFull
THAT'S PERFECT!

You're really helping me Endaris :) Thanks
Hibiya-chan
Bookmarked and Subscribed Topic. Tnx :)

Looks like training maps won't be my only collection from now on ;)
meedow shom
but do i really need to set my framerate limiter to 240 fps (normally my pcs doesn't even pass the 110 fps)

because i got an annoying headache every time i play now and i noticed a major input delay and so a performance decrease

Note:i have a 60hz monitor
Topic Starter
Endaris
No you don't have to do it but you may see noticeable issues when trying to get good accuracy on OD8+.
The gamemechanics only work on a per-frame basis. Every click you do will be assigned towards the active frame (or the next one, not sure)
120FPS = 1 frame per 8.3ms
This means that the detected input will be off by about 4.2ms on average from your real input and by up to 8.2ms in singular worst case scenarios.
If you compare this with the ranges for OD found here it becomes fairly obvious that such a random deviation inputwise can have a noticeable influence on your accuracy. On OD10 you need to be at almost twice as accurate to assure getting SS compared to a hypothetical infinite framerate.
On 240FPS this random deviation is already halved -> 2ms random deviation and 4.1ms in worst case is already a lot less likely to become relevant for accuracy.
Experienced players can actually perceive the difference between 120FPS and unlimited due to hitsounds having a slight delay that may be long enough in the worse cases to be audible regardless of OD since the delay affects hitsounds as well.

This is completely unrelated to the refreshrate of your monitor! Only related to the gamemechanics as explained above.
If you are getting a headache from playing after altering your framerate feel free to switch back.
If your PC can't handle 240FPS switch back as well. osu! is optimized to run at very high FPS(like 1000 or so) therefore even the worst toasters are usually able to do 240FPS when there are no other programs opened and the skin used runs small filesizes. Toasters being able to run this well is also related to the game-engine and graphics running on the same thread.

Another thing you can try regarding headache is setting a custom FPS which you can do by opening the file "osu!.Username.cfg" (Username will be the name of your windows account I think).
In this file there's a line called "CustomFrameLimit = 240".
When you press F7 to switch through your FPS-settings this one will appear between 120 and Unlimited(after restarting osu!). Changing it to a number that isn't dividable by your monitor refreshrate may reduce screentearing and make the monitor more comfortable to look at again. It also gives you the opportunity to use a framerate lower than 240 that is still above 120 so you get the best of each side.
Yuudachi-kun
Holy shit, I can edit that to like 960 right?
Topic Starter
Endaris
Yep. Even though you probably confirmed it yourself already.
mizuki-chan
The fps tipp was new to me. Thanks for sharing this !
kaetschap
thank you for the guide! :)
DarthSkrill
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/9130102

Well, that's all my silver s's... This is gonna take a long time.

What do I do when the map's so easy I only have dt plays on it? It feels like I'm putting them in a place below what they deserve... Anyways, I don't really want to do all the extra work of separating them out.
Topic Starter
Endaris
Hi, personally I ended up making separate collections for maps with a difficulty increasing mod (excluding HD in most cases).
They're called HR in my case because I originally made them when I wanted to start learning HR but anything modded goes in there, EZ, DT, HD on low AR maps and even some FL.

If you don't want to do the work then don't. It's more for beginners anyway as you'll be able to know what you want to play and competently do so at your level.
DarthSkrill
In mania, star rating is so bad that 5*=4.5* at its worst. I really don't know what I'm gonna get on a completely new map...

Edit: actually 5.3<4.2
SpasticSurgeon
Sorry to necro this but is there anyway to get these new % collections at the top of my list? I have many collections that are dear to me already.
KupcaH

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Sorry to necro this but is there anyway to get these new % collections at the top of my list? I have many collections that are dear to me already.
Yes, put dot in the beginning of collection name. Like:
.<88
.88-92%
.92-95%

etc.
SpasticSurgeon

KupcaH wrote:

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Yes, put dot in the beginning of collection name. Like:
.<88
.88-92%
.92-95%

etc.
thx
kujubuo
i have just seen op being online on forums so i wanna ask this (i think this doesnt count as necro)

what should i do with the maps that i get lower than 88% should i play them?
Lirrnaiad
yes this is necro

no you don't unless you're playing it for fun
dung eater
necro, can you migrate to my fortress and write a book please
Topic Starter
Endaris

eminegeaslan wrote:

i have just seen op being online on forums so i wanna ask this (i think this doesnt count as necro)

what should i do with the maps that i get lower than 88% should i play them?
Yes, of course!
Maps below 88% are maps you are very bad at and it's upon you to identify why:
There are maps that are very low SR and that you may have immense trouble reading. It is totally worthwhile to practice these!
On the other hand, if you just played Image Material NF for fun and got 60% and sorted it into that collection then it should be relatively obvious that both your aim and stream skills are very very far away from being able to sensibly practice 7* marathon maps.

Sorting via SR essentially automatically orders them for you and tells you which maps in your 88% folder you should play.
If you have a hypothetic 200 maps in your <88% folder then I would generally say it does not make a lot of sense to play the latter 150 for practice purposes in most cases. But play the folder like you would any other as it likely contains the maps that condense a set of your biggest weaknesses and is therefore a great source of (future) practice maps.

Generally speaking which folders you play how much is based on your personal preference as for how much accuracy you consider satisfying for yourself. If you're fine playing the game just up to 97%, then you will probably just play the lower folders a lot more. While the system totally tries to push you into reading and accuracy, the degree of your desired mastery is something you decide for yourself and you can totally just sort out maps like I did as well.

(and no, this isn't a necro as it is 100% relevant to the topic and would not make sense as part of a new topic at all)
Voidedosu
(Technically it's a necro considering it's bringing a 3-year-old post back from the dead, but that's more the letter of the word than the spirit; in spirit this is totally justifiable for the exact reason Eminege described.)

Also I would totally use this if I wasn't an SS player which makes all the percentage sorting pointless. I do sort by estimated pp values (gathered from ezpp and osu-pp) on songs I have yet to SS, though, whenever I get the chance. I also try to separate them into different star ranges and mod usages, although I wager the former could just be condensed and sorted by SR to avoid bloating on collections.
Manishh
My question: what accuracy should I go for if i am trying to be out of comfortzone
(I play 5star and trying to go used to it)
Topic Starter
Endaris

manishmathur wrote:

My question: what accuracy should I go for if i am trying to be out of comfortzone
(I play 5star and trying to go used to it)
Honestly, this is quite difficult to answer because starting at high 4*, map styles start to massively branch out and the map's OD becomes a bigger factor in accuracy as well which leads to a 5.5* OD7 aim map being on a similar level of difficulty for getting 95% acc compared to a 4.5* OD8 stream map with compound timing.
Which is also why this system becomes gradually less useful the better you get because you will entirely end up playing mid 4* high OD maps that are hard to acc.
Not to say that's a bad thing but if you say "outside of my comfortzone" that can go into many different aspects that are very specific to your personal skill as a player.

If you want to challenge yourself, I would personally recommend to simply join multiplayer lobbies. By experience, anything that is called 4* will end up having mostly maps above 4.5* etc.
Just make sure you click the "here" link of Bancho when you join the multiroom so you can sort the maps into your collections after the multi ends if you don't manage it during the multi itself.
Multilobbies usually just throw about anything at you that exists out there and it will also force you to sightread most of the time so it will most likely take you out of your comfortzone.