forum

Reading problems and ADHD.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GenoClysm
Hi. I'd like to start off by saying, i know i need to play more to improve. That's obvious. And I have. The thing here is that i'm not exactly sure if WHAT i'm playing is right, or if i will gain anything from it.

So anyway, i'm pretty sure i have ADHD. I'm not diagnosed, but it absolutely seems like i have it, given how lacking of focus i am in daily activities as well as osu.

Before now, ADHD wasn't a problem i had to deal with when it came to improving on osu, as i had other things that i needed to improve on, such as aim, streaming, etc etc.

All of a sudden, i'm started tapping in a new way which has doubled my stream speed and now i have mostly no problems with streaming. Of course, i can't really stream 250 BPM yet but i know what i need to do to improve my stream speed.

Right now, i can only really read ar10 and 10.3 properly, anything below and i start to try to speed through the notes WAY faster than i should be.

So what? just play DT and HR to force the AR to be 10 no matter what?

Well, the problem that I've been facing recently is that, even on ar10 and 10.3, i'm starting to move way too quickly and try to hit notes before i can even get a 50, and move to the next. I guess I've been wired to read in a way in that i actively pursue the first note that appears on my screen, but this is proving to be a serious problem. My aim is extremely flow-y, and no matter how hard i try to focus on the next note i HAVE to hit, my brain defaults after a few seconds to the first note appears on the screen, even if i have to hit it 2 or 3 notes into the future.

I'm don't exactly know how to approach this problem. I've been told to learn a lower ARs and play on EZ and learn to snap to every single note, but that seems incredibly painful and kind of diminishes the whole fun factor of the game. I don't find it very fun to be bad at osu!, but i don't find it fun to force myself to be even worse and have to deal with pissing myself off with my ADHD even more.

Are there any ways to cope with having ADHD when playing this game? Help my focus or learn to read properly? I'm asking for specific methods of training, not howtoimproveatosu.tk hurrhurr.

Here's a video that i uploaded that i feel shows what my problem is. Of course, my stream speed is not on par here, but my stream tracking is another awful thing that's come about due to my lack of ability to read, i always track streams into the future and hit all the notes early. I feel like the stream tracking can be improved easier though than the jumps. In the video, there are a lot of jumps that i aim for, hit way too early, and then move to the next note, resulting in every note being a miss but my cursor hits every single note a little too early. If you see anything else i'm fucking up in the video, please tell me. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FTQ0Fs35WA
Yuudachi-kun
Listen, if you're not diagnosed you DO NOT have it; stop trying to take your lack of focus as adhd until a legitimate doctor diagnoses you.
ZenithPhantasm
Take pills. Bupropion helped for me.
It might cause constant 100bpm heart rate and exhaustion

Also happy 2k posts to me 8-)
pandaBee

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3

@ OP
First off, in the video the problem isn't just the reading, the bigger problem is that the map is too hard for you. Play some easier stuff.
You don't need to force yourself to do EZ, but going back and relearning ar 8-9 should be helpful. P.S. streaming fast doesn't matter if you miss half the notes, and can't accuracy for shit. Why are you even bothering to play HR at that level when your acc is so bad? Even if you have add you have a choice to make, either stop practicing backwards and try to tailor your plays toward more productive methods of practice, or just keep doing w/e you want and have 'fun.' Your choice brudda.

TLDR;

Play easier maps
Relearn ar 8-9
your streaming looks like garbage so practice it again from the basics
speed doesn't matter when you can't hit anything. Don't neglect acc too much.
Topic Starter
GenoClysm

Kheldragar wrote:

Listen, if you're not diagnosed you DO NOT have it; stop trying to take your lack of focus as adhd until a legitimate doctor diagnoses you.
Why is that so? ADHD is simply a disorder, not a tag put applied to people once they have a diagnosis. I haven't been checked for ADHD, and i'm not going to tell you how i struggle or try to prove you wrong, but the statement you made that without a diagnosis it's impossible for me to have it is ridiculous.

Regardless i made this thread to ask how or what i can do to reduce ar10 syndrome and reading errors like i've described. I'm not asking for you to help me solve my medical problems. I simply pointed out the problem i'm having and stated that ADHD MIGHT be a possible cause IF i have it. And what would I do IF i had it.
Topic Starter
GenoClysm

pandaBee wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3

@ OP
First off, in the video the problem isn't just the reading, the bigger problem is that the map is too hard for you. Play some easier stuff.
You don't need to force yourself to do EZ, but going back and relearning ar 8-9 should be helpful. P.S. streaming fast doesn't matter if you miss half the notes, and can't accuracy for shit. Why are you even bothering to play HR at that level when your acc is so bad? Even if you have add you have a choice to make, either stop practicing backwards and try to tailor your plays toward more productive methods of practice, or just keep doing w/e you want and have 'fun.' Your choice brudda.
I play Snow Drive to practice my jumps, which if you watch the video, you'll see i can do just fine except for the extra crazy ones. It's all hit or miss, my ability to hit jumps in the video is not consistent, it's either all of them or none of them. Of course the map overall is too hard for me, i'm not cookiezi, but it should be obvious that certain sections of the map are not a problem for me, and that's why i play the map.

I also have that video in particular because if i uploaded my usual HR or DT plays which demonstrate me getting relatively good accuracy but missing a triangle jump or jumps for extended periods of time, i don't feel like it would highlight what mistakes i'm making enough. If you watch closely, some of the really crazy jumps i can aim right but read wrong, i miss every note because i hit every note early.

I personally feel that no improvement or LITTLE improvement comes out of playing maps that get me PP. If it takes me 50 retries to improve a score from an A with 1 miss to an S with zero, i've effectively increased my ability to hit a single note where i haven't been able to before. That's it. I tend to play maps that challenge me, where there's plenty of room for improvement. Why i play maps that have a lot of room for improvement is obvious.

Could you explain to me why playing challenging maps is not a productive way of practicing? I understand that re-learning to read lower ARs will definently help me here. Clearly if i'm clocking 40% accuracy on a 490 style map i'm not getting anything out of it. But if i can get accuracy that you see people passing with, get Cs, etc, i feel like at that point i understand the map enough to improve by playing it.
Yuudachi-kun

GenoClysm wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Why is that so? ADHD is simply a disorder, not a tag put applied to people once they have a diagnosis. I haven't been checked for ADHD, and i'm not going to tell you how i struggle or try to prove you wrong, but the statement you made that without a diagnosis it's impossible for me to have it is ridiculous.

Regardless i made this thread to ask how or what i can do to reduce ar10 syndrome and reading errors like i've described. I'm not asking for you to help me solve my medical problems. I simply pointed out the problem i'm having and stated that ADHD MIGHT be a possible cause IF i have it. And what would I do IF i had it.
Self diagnosis is a bunch of bullshit when you're not a qualified expert. Stop fooling yourself and using what YOU THINK might be the cause of something as an excuse for the problem or else don't even bring it up.

Maybe, get this, your "struggle" could be something completely normal that happens to normal people and not due to ADHD! Or it might be due to ADHD! How do you know if you're not the millions of other people who do and do not have it!?
Yes I uhh have self diagnosed autism and this must be the reason I have trouble communicating with people yes quite. How do I know? Well uhh you see I have feels and my feels are what decides whether or not I do
Topic Starter
GenoClysm

Kheldragar wrote:

Self diagnosis is a bunch of bullshit when you're not a qualified expert. Stop fooling yourself and using what YOU THINK might be the cause of something as an excuse for the problem.
I didn't come here to present excuses, i came here to ask for ADVICE. Clearly you don't understand that i'm asking for tips on improving my ability to read, not asking for people to come here and give me free pp to compensate for a disorder. You also avoided the question i asked: Why do you know that if i don't have a diagnosis i don't have it? Please, either provide constructive information on my thread or stop shitposting. I don't need you to tell me to stop making excuses or to tell me i don't know what i'm talking about, that's not what i asked for. If you're not going to answer any question i have or give me any insight, and just plainly tell me that i'm wrong, then i'll ask you politely to please leave.
Yuudachi-kun

GenoClysm wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Self diagnosis is a bunch of bullshit when you're not a qualified expert. Stop fooling yourself and using what YOU THINK might be the cause of something as an excuse for the problem.
I didn't come here to present excuses, i came here to ask for ADVICE. Clearly you don't understand that i'm asking for tips on improving my ability to read, not asking for people to come here and give me free pp to compensate for a disorder. You also avoided the question i asked: Why do you know that if i don't have a diagnosis i don't have it? Please, either provide constructive information on my thread or stop shitposting. I don't need you to tell me to stop making excuses or to tell me i don't know what i'm talking about, that's not what i asked for. If you're not going to answer any question i have or give me any insight, and just plainly tell me that i'm wrong, then i'll ask you politely to please leave.
I'm not saying you don't have it - I'm saying that it's very likely that you're saying a bunch of bullshit that's not true because it's a self-diagnosis and that it should be assumed you don't until proven otherwise.

Are you really saying that calling into question things that you've stated at the beginning of the thread AND IS IN THE TITLE OF THE THREAD as shitposting? Please, really?
pandaBee

GenoClysm wrote:

i can do just fine except for the extra crazy ones.

I personally feel that no improvement or LITTLE improvement comes out of playing maps that get me PP. If it takes me 50 retries to improve a score from an A with 1 miss to an S with zero, i've effectively increased my ability to hit a single note where i haven't been able to before. That's it. I tend to play maps that challenge me, where there's plenty of room for improvement. Why i play maps that have a lot of room for improvement is obvious.

Could you explain to me why playing challenging maps is not a productive way of practicing? I understand that re-learning to read lower ARs will definently help me here. Clearly if i'm clocking 40% accuracy on a 490 style map i'm not getting anything out of it. But if i can get accuracy that you see people passing with, get Cs, etc, i feel like at that point i understand the map enough to improve by playing it.
1. You couldn't do any of the hard parts of the map, period. I saw you flunk every stream, miss every semi-complicated pattern, basically anything that wasn't a simple jump/burst or a slider/mini-slider you just failed at. That's a pretty large portion of the map.

Generally people when playing maps either train consistency, or try to break some kind of plateau (learning to do a pattern, a jump, a new type of skill such as streaming, a unique sequence of hit circles that you find a bit confusing, etc. etc.), and you aren't accomplishing much of either by playing that map at your current level.

2. I never said not to play challenging maps. There's challenging, and then there's flailing about and mashing through every single semi-difficult part of a map - which is what I saw personally.

3. This depends on how you define challenging. However, keep in mind that you shouldn't base anything on passability, since that doesn't really reflect much. Surviving a map =/= map is good for practice. You should never feel happy about playing for Cs really. I can't really say much since I don't know how you practice, but if it usually looks like what you showed in the video, then refer to my early post for my personal recommendations for dealing with your issues.
Topic Starter
GenoClysm

pandaBee wrote:

]

1. You couldn't do any of the hard parts of the map, period. I saw you flunk every stream, miss every semi-complicated pattern, basically anything that wasn't a simple jump/burst or a slider/mini-slider you just failed at. That's a pretty large portion of the map.

Generally people when playing maps either train consistency, or try to break some kind of plateau (learning to do a pattern, a jump, a new type of skill such as streaming, a unique sequence of hit circles that you find a bit confusing, etc. etc.), and you aren't accomplishing much of either by playing that map at your current level.

2. I never said not to play challenging maps. There's challenging, and then there's flailing about and mashing through every single semi-difficult part of a map - which is what I saw personally.

3. This depends on how you define challenging. However, keep in mind that you shouldn't base anything on passability, since that doesn't really reflect much. Surviving a map =/= map is good for practice. You should never feel happy about playing for Cs really. I can't really say much since I don't know how you practice, but if it usually looks like what you showed in the video, then refer to my early post for my personal recommendations for dealing with your issues.
Alright, i'll take what you said into consideration. Passbility is something that should absolutely be considered, if you can get a nomod play on a map, then you can absolutely improve it through repetition and playing the map more. I'm not playing snow drive for the hard parts of the map, as there aren't many people who CAN do the hard parts of the map, I play it for the easier parts, which are still by no standard EASYPZ, and would still register as a 5.5+ star map.
Thanks for the insight though.
Hello, I am Skilled doctor from overseas, and I here to give Diagnosis,

you are an idiot

you don't have adhd

you're just bad

play maps more suitable for your rank then flailing your cursor around, mashing, missing and saying that you probably have adhd

learn to read

stop being retarded
Astrofiziks
adhd is one of the various disorders my therapist diagnosed me with, in my case i get distracted very very easily and don't have the patience to do long maps at all. i don't really know what to say other than just practice moving more slowly. and don't touch dt or hr you'll just mess yourself up more.
if you seriously do think you have adhd you should look into getting medication to help you out with it. it kinda just sounds to me like you're playing things too hard for you though.
Topic Starter
GenoClysm

Astrofiziks wrote:

adhd is one of the various disorders my therapist diagnosed me with, in my case i get distracted very very easily and don't have the patience to do long maps at all. i don't really know what to say other than just practice moving more slowly. and don't touch dt or hr you'll just mess yourself up more.
if you seriously do think you have adhd you should look into getting medication to help you out with it. it kinda just sounds to me like you're playing things too hard for you though.
This is sort of off topic but are the meds worth it? I know people are calling me an idiot for self-diagnosing but i'm honestly fucking tired of being hyperactive, not being able to pay attention or focus at all, making careless mistakes, messing up my own speech and speaking too fast, and too much, etc etc. I would love the ability to perform better in school and not seem like such a fucking asshole in social situations when i interrupt people and monopolize conversations. From what i know, the side effects are kinda shitty, and the lack of appetite thing could be a serious problem for me as i'm already very underweight. Do you take them?
Rickput
honestly i started practicing EZ mod a bit and it taught me to watch/listen and wait for the correct time to hit the note, regardless of AR or difficulty of the map.

If EZ mod annoys you too much, try playing some easy/normal difficulties nomod. They're slow enough to practice waiting for notes. I had a very minor case of your problem, but it was enough to start hitting too early on AR 8&9.
-Makishima S-
At least you have social life, how about being silent, unsocial person who have problem to talk with others irl? I would love to talk too much, sadly i cannot.
Don't complain, don't search excuses.
Until you don't get proper medical diagnose, you cannot talk like "you have something" becouse you don't have it. Simply.
Perfection in what you are doing is achieved by hard work, not excuses and crying over something.
You could be supprised how many walls can human break by proper work and belief in himself.

Don't even dare to take any meds without consultation with proper doctor, it's not fuckin wise.
Ninonuko
Fix your unstable rate on AR 10 before you go to lower AR
stop playing DT for a while

I don't believe if you have ADHD, how could you survive od 9,8 hp 9,8 if you hit everything too early?
I don't think you're idiot, you're just overestimate your weakness
Astrofiziks

GenoClysm wrote:

This is sort of off topic but are the meds worth it? I know people are calling me an idiot for self-diagnosing but i'm honestly fucking tired of being hyperactive, not being able to pay attention or focus at all, making careless mistakes, messing up my own speech and speaking too fast, and too much, etc etc. I would love the ability to perform better in school and not seem like such a fucking asshole in social situations when i interrupt people and monopolize conversations. From what i know, the side effects are kinda shitty, and the lack of appetite thing could be a serious problem for me as i'm already very underweight. Do you take them?
if you're already underweight then yes the lack of appetite would be a very serious problem. i'm taking adderall right now and i went from 126 lbs to 102 lbs in an extremely short amount of time. sometimes i get weak and dizzy and fall over because i go so long without eating.

i'm not an expert obviously but because of that i don't think meds would be a good idea for you atm. better safe than sorry
buny
"how do i improv

i hav adhd canot improve"
KanoSet
if u think u got ADHD go to doctor.. it's serious matter y'know
if u wanna get better make a training method for your self.. what u lack and what u need and work on them by your strategy
and that:

buny wrote:

"how do i improv

pandaBee
Sounds like someone needs to go see some kind of doctor.

buny wrote:

"how do i improv

Don't let the mosquitoes in at night. Beauty sleep is very important for your fingers.
dung eater
use hit indicators, go for high acc/low hit spread, listen to hitsound in strim
play slow strim
play maps that are harder to read (actually hav overlap and hav some mor complex tapping to [not jsut singles/triples etc])
tap to beat
play lower ar
dl a ton of beatmaps and everything from the mappers u like, find new guest diffs etc and then dl everything from them

learning stuff takes time
I Give Up

GenoClysm wrote:

i know i need to play more to improve
Play more.
pandaBee

Astrofiziks wrote:

i went from 126 lbs to 102 lbs in an extremely short amount of time. sometimes i get weak and dizzy and fall over because i go so long without eating.
I hope this implies you are a cute little girl and not a starving man because that sounds awfully dangerous if you're not.
show more