forum

[Archived] All taps are dropped under high load

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Score_Under
Problem Details:
When the computer is under high load (e.g. try a parallel compile (make -j10) of some large software like firefox or linux), sometimes Osu will stop processing taps. When this happens, the z/x(-equivalent) keys can't be used to hit circles or the start of sliders, but you can still get 100 points for following a slider with one of them held down. Sometimes, but not always, the audio will hiccup immediately before this happens. Restarting the play (including quick retry) fixes the issue, but it can ruin an otherwise perfect play.

This seems to happen regardless of the process priority and without any actual noticeable lag.
It also seems to affect spectating. Not 100% sure about this though, it could always be the other person being silly.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
(See update)

osu! version: 20150628.1cuttingedge

Update:
It's CPU load that causes the issue, rather than GPU/IO/etc.
When it happens, on my end it appears as if the tap buttons stop working (things stop becoming tappable) but sliders still give 100s and the tap indicators on the right still work.
On the spectator's end, from what I can tell it looks like I've hit where locally it thinks I'm missing, and then when I fail locally the spectator sees the cursor stop moving until the HP drains to zero and it fails on their end too. Interestingly, K1 is reported as M1 to the spectator while this issue is occurring.

Here's what it looks like locally: https://youtu.be/vbU2buTwpYE?t=1m11s (Video taken from a phone because running a screen recorder on an already heavily loaded CPU would probably not go well at all)
Here's what it looks like from the spectator's end (a different play, but cut to almost exactly where the issue started): https://youtu.be/6h-mRE5JUC4
IIRC locally it showed me as missing those notes that I hit in that video.
Bara-
I think this is your PC
If it's not
FIX THIS BUG
It bothers me so much (well, I also have a very low end PC so I guess that's the case)
Topic Starter
Score_Under
Further update:

1. While the issue is present, music does not pause when the game is paused (I haven't seen what happens on unpause yet...)
  2. If you spectate and the issue occurs, it looks like the person being spectated is missing everything and getting 100s on sliders. The game then says "buffering" every few seconds, frantically trying to reset the spectated game to a valid state.
  3. If the spectator encounters this issue and then the person being spectated pauses, the spectator sees the pause but still hears the music play (as when pausing in singleplayer under the influence of this issue)