forum

[invalid] When holding both L and R in CtB

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Dephix
I find it weird that the catcher doesn't move when i do that, isn't it common sense in 2D games that when pressing the forward button, the character always moves forward regardless of whether the back button was being held down or not? So i think having an alternate control would be nice, where the catcher always moves to the direction of your last pressed button without considering the holding state of the other button, the catcher would be moving if atleast one of L and R buttons is held down.

R down = moving right
R down L down = moving left
R down L down L up = moving right
R down L down R up R down = moving right
Shurelia
Let's say.

Right = +1

Left = - 1

If you pressed the Right and Left button on the same time it'll be.

Right + Left : (+1) + (-1) = 0 = (No moves).

So that's a normal situation if you pressed both of the buttons at the same time.
Granger
All your requests thus far were to simplify and make ctb easier... how about, you git gud instead?

That aside, the way it currently works, stopping when you press both is the least weird behaviour imo.
Topic Starter
Dephix

Granger wrote:

All your requests thus far were to simplify and make ctb easier... how about, you git gud instead?

That aside, the way it currently works, stopping when you press both is the least weird behaviour imo.
how about, you git gud instead of using a custom skin to make things easier?
Bara-
Uhm, this'll indeed make the game easier and it will break most current replays
It's a no for me
Granger

Dephix wrote:

Granger wrote:

how about, you git gud instead of using a custom skin to make things easier?
Uhm, wut?
NextMiss

Dephix wrote:

I find it weird that the catcher doesn't move when i do that, isn't it common sense in 2D games that when pressing the forward button, the character always moves forward regardless of whether the back button was being held down or not? So i think having an alternate control would be nice, where the catcher always moves to the direction of your last pressed button without considering the holding state of the other button, the catcher would be moving if atleast one of L and R buttons is held down.

R down = moving right
R down L down = moving left
R down L down L up = moving right
R down L down R up R down = moving right
Dont need it! And why changing controls?
Topic Starter
Dephix
because the current one is flawed
Incorrect
Should we also add the option to move the CtB character up and down? Since that's also "common sense" in 2D games? The current system isn't flawed, you just need to learn how to bring one finger up, and another down in a fraction of a second. (Which isn't as hard as it may sound ;))
-Maus-

Granger wrote:

how about, you git gud instead?
abraker
Hello, OP, look at exgon, now at yourself, now back at exgon, now back to yourself. Sadly, that's not you, but if if you stopped complaining and and practiced to get better, you could me like him. Look at your rank, now here, where are you? You’re on a feature request forum asking for a request to benefit your rank. That keyboard, back here. It's a thing you press left and right. Look again, that a thing you use to get better. Anything is possible when set your mind to it. I’m on a -.

reference anyone?
Oinari-sama
The thread is heading towards negative direction again :/

I talked to a few CtB players and the thought of holding both keys never crossed their mind. Apparently this is one of those things that goes away with experience.

Based on the feedbacks I'm denying this. If you still feel that this is needed after having 10000 play counts please feel free to make a new request.
Topic Starter
Dephix
Why do you guys care so much about ranks and skill? It's just a matter of playing more, isn't it? Do you really need to go to people's profile in order to judge their opinions? The point of this thread isn't to make the game easier. I'm trying to improve the game, not to become the best in terms of skill like most of you, so pls stop comparing me to Exgon or you or anyone else.
Granger

Dephix wrote:

Why do you guys care so much about ranks and skill? It's just a matter of playing more, isn't it? Do you really need to go to people's profile in order to judge their opinions? The point of this thread isn't to make the game easier. I'm trying to improve the game, not to become the best in terms of skill like most of you, so pls stop comparing me to Exgon or you or anyone else.
The thing is, you're simplifying a skill based game. Thats not to say wonky controlls are a good thing to have (ala earliest shooters where you had to aim your gun with the keyboard) but the current behaviour is just fine as is, they're not wonky.
Being able to avoid pressing both buttons at the same time is a skill, one that plays a rather fundamental role on ctb (if not going unoticed most of the time for reasons ill explain further down), adding to what makes ctb a skill game.

I used to be terrible at zigzag patterns because this, i did not have this skill so i was moving inefficently, causing me to miss fruits. Its making me suck, the mechanics dont take my hand and lead me. Now why is this a good thing?
It adds to your skill progression, just as you have to learn to read higher AR or get a feel for the catchers movement speed, you have to learn to press your buttons the right way. It sepperates the good from the bad.

So basically, play more and git gud. Now, unsurprisingly, once you git gud this isnt even the slightest bit of a issue, without even thinking about it you just dont press both buttons at the same time. Frankly, i never thought about it untill i saw your suggestion either.

changing that mechanic accomplishes exactly... nothing, except making the game a bit easier, mostly for people who suck.
Topic Starter
Dephix

Granger wrote:

Being able to avoid pressing both buttons at the same time is a skill
you meant holding?
being good with FL is also a skill
i dont like it not because its hard but because its LAME making the game less interesting to play, i would still want it to change even if it would make the game much much harder
Granger
Pressing, holding, same thing. The act of pressing down a button and holding it in that posistion, obviously.
Yeah, it is. But FL hiding stuff around you is "lame" so remove FL's hiding stuff.

Honestly, im not getting the impression you're thinking your arguments trough before you state them... so tell me, how would removing this feature make the game more interresting to play? If you dont mean because its making the game easier. And tell me how the fact that being good at FL is a skill is relevant to the discussion in any way?

You're stating it makes the game better, more interresting to play, but how so? You never stated it.

(Funfact: I never even checked out your profile, but i do think that you just need to PlayMore™ and you'll simply not need/want this simplification anymore)
Shurelia
This is getting nowhere.
Oinari-sama

Shurelia wrote:

This is getting nowhere.
Then don't bump a marked request?

Locking.