forum

Score Multiplier Forced 1.00x (Tourney/Multi)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +30
Topic Starter
I've never really done this whole forum thing but hey, trying is good.
Anyway, I recently had a conversation with few players (mostly mod players) and we all wanted to see something. Usually during a tournament of some sort there is a restriction to using mods especially because of the score advantage they get and basically forcing mod players to play nomod, where they cannot show their full skill.
So we thought about it and wanted to see something (maybe a new mod or something) that forces the score multiplier to be forced to 1.00x despite any mod being used. This way hidden/hardrock players can use hidden/hardrock without having the score advantage allowing the players to show the actual skill they have.
I personally would love to see this come true mostly because me, myself, is a hidden player. I can play double time better with hidden, and also play general map better with it.
I would love to see this featured in Osu! sometime in the near future.
Thanks for reading!
abraker
The multipliers might not be relevant comparisons to the skill the mods require you to have. Therefore, the optimal comparison would be without multiplier. Additionally, the multiplier is there just to balance the score rankings when using mods (not sure how relevant they will be anymore when per-mod ranking is implemented).

HOWEVER, consider a scenario in which a player scores 12,000,000 nomod and a player that scores 11,000,000 DT. According to the score, the nomod player wins when obviously the DT player would win otherwise. How would you judge the same scores with DT against HD+FL??? It will be hard to rule over which modded player wins over another with random scores. It's like picking which color clothes to buy.
Topic Starter

abraker wrote:

The multipliers might not be relevant comparisons to the skill the mods require you to have. Therefore, the optimal comparison would be without multiplier. Additionally, the multiplier is there just to balance the score rankings when using mods (not sure how relevant they will be anymore when per-mod ranking is implemented).

HOWEVER, consider a scenario in which a player scores 12,000,000 nomod and a player that scores 11,000,000 DT. According to the score, the nomod player wins when obviously the DT player would win otherwise. How would you judge the same scores with DT against HD+FL??? It will be hard to rule over which modded player wins over another with random scores. It's like picking which color clothes to buy.
I'm really sorry but I am not completely fluent with English but from what I understand I believe you are saying that:
In first paragraph you agree with the idea of comparing scores with no multiplier.
And in second paragraph you are saying DT would be the obvious winner in that situation. (If I'm wrong so sorry but can you dumb it down for me? My primary language is not English :c)

I would like to point out that currently you cannot add DT during a multiplayer match without it applying to all the players, so that all player would be playing with a sped up map anyway, allowing every player to have the same difficulty (I'm really bad at explaining :c)
For HD, HR, and FL (even though I doubt anyone can play better with FL) it is a personal choice when you use the free mod option in the multi room. For some players it is easier to play with smaller CS and faster AR. For some it is easier to play when the notes disappear after a short while. I think these mods that makes certain player play better than no mod should somehow be used without a score multiplier to have all the players show their full skill and have the same score balance.
abraker
I would like to point out that currently you cannot add DT during a multiplayer match without it applying to all the players
Oh, right. How dumb of me. Well I suppose it can work, but I'm still skeptical. Let's see what the others say.
Oinari-sama
I just wonder if there's a real demand for this.
Bara-
So
A HT SS should have better score then a HR DT Play with 1x 100
Logics FTW
Topic Starter

Oinari-sama wrote:

I just wonder if there's a real demand for this.
I have had at least 5 players who play HD/HR constantly and agrees on this idea, and I'd think there would be more out there since all 5 came out of the few people I actually know in this game.

baraatje123 wrote:

So
A HT SS should have better score then a HR DT Play with 1x 100
Logics FTW
You are ENTIRELY missing the point. First of all you can't add HT without applying to all players and same goes for DT. I am suggesting this to be done to make tournaments (NOT the actual score ranking on a beatmap, why in the logical world would I suggest that?) a place where players can use mods (especially HD, HR, and for few selected players EZ) that they play better with WITHOUT having the score advantage making it a fair scoring for every player while using mods.

Me, for example, can play virtually any map better with HD since that's what I have played in almost all my Osu! career. However in tournaments I am sometime forced to use no mod (which I am not too skilled in especially with AR9.5 and higher) just because HD will give a score advantage making it "unfair". However if there was a way to make HD and nomod both the same score multiplier (1.00x) then I would be able to use HD allowing me to play with my full skill while another can play with HR which they might play better with and another can play with no mod as they usually do.

This way all the players will be able to play at their best while the score is equally calculated.
VeilStar
This really depends entirely on the kind of tournament.
In official ones I don't see this happening. Keep in mind that tournaments are tournaments. They're not show-offs.
but in community hosted ones? Depending on the type of tournament and rules: Why not.

That being said, I think this is more something that would have to be a customisable option in the tournament client.

So yeah, I don't really see the need for this given that it will probably barely ever be used, but I'm not against it either.
Why not include concrete usage examples to strengthen the request?
Topic Starter

VeilStar wrote:

So yeah, I don't really see the need for this given that it will probably barely ever be used, but I'm not against it either.
Why not include concrete usage examples to strengthen the request?
I'm not entirely sure this will be a good concrete usage example but I guess it's worth writing.
Recently I actually applied for a really minor (I mean REALLY minor) tournament hosted by one person and staffed by participants. This tournament includes maps from SD of near 3.5 all the way to around 5.4 with AR from 7-9.7. Also the rule is to play all the maps with no mods.
Our team, a team of 3, consists of all HD or HDDT players, and yes we knew this was a no mod tournament but we still decided to sign up. We were chatting with each other one day and we all thought this tournament would show our skill a lot more clearly if we were able to use HD, however HD gives extra points therefore making it unfair for those who cannot play HD (or HR or whatever mod).

Another example of a rather more major tournament I have seen is the Osu! Ely Tournament (or OET in short) hosted by Ely. This is his third year with this tournament and one of the OET includes the High Speed Solo Tournament. This consists of people competing with Double Time, and hence the name High Speed it also includes AR9DT. This is what really made me think about the multiplier idea. In this tourney you can use HD all you want along with DT giving a large advantage to HDDT players over just simple DT players. The main skill required in this is speed (which is what makes double time insanely difficult). HOWEVER people who can play better with HD(DT) instead of just DT have a large advantage over players who cannot play HD.

People who can play better on a mod that does not even change the difficulty can win a tournament, which mainly consists of speed, without actually being as skilled in fast maps? That personally is ruining the whole idea of "I think I will host a speed tournament to see who is the fastest" (Just to get this out there I don't think this is exactly what Ely is thinking but it's an example, please forgive me)

If there was something, just a customizable tournament client option (as VeilStar mentioned) will be great I think, that can make this unneeded difference gone I think tournaments would be a lot more interesting, and more people will actually participate in them.
Bara-
OHHH
This is for multiplayer/tournaments
Okay, then I understand it
Topic Starter

baraatje123 wrote:

OHHH
This is for multiplayer/tournaments
Okay, then I understand it
I probably should have mentioned that in the title of the forum. Stupid me :3