forum

played for 2 years. limit?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-SprinG-
i have been playing osu for 2 years and now im wondering if i am at my limit for performance. i dont seem to see myself improve :o
deletemyaccount
Playcount/Total Hits>Time played

And no, you aren't at your limit. You have to challenge yourself and actually try to improve if you want to get better.

i believe in you
Yuudachi-kun
You've played comparatively little in two years compared to what you could have. You should really try more.
buny
You're like a person that goes to the gym for 10 minutes a week and complain that you don't make any progress
Yuudachi-kun

buny wrote:

You're like a person that goes to the gym for 10 minutes a week and complain that you don't make any progress
Nah, there are people here posting playing for 3 years with 3,000 playcount and 300,000 hits. This guy is more like an hour every two days.
buny

Kheldragar wrote:

buny wrote:

Nah, there are people here posting playing for 3 years with 3,000 playcount and 300,000 hits. This guy is more like an hour every two days.
You're being way too generous
Deva
You should play more NF and DT on 6 star maps. Will make you better in no time.
Bauxe
If you've played for 2 years I've played for 8 years.

I haven't played for 8 years.
pandaBee

Kheldragar wrote:

This guy is more like an hour every two days.
That's more than enough to make some decent progress.
AmaiHachimitsu
There are people who hit your total playcount within a month. I think it tells more than any verbal explanation.
At this playcount you're far far from any limits.
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

This guy is more like an hour every two days.
That's more than enough to make some decent progress.
He is rank 17k.

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

There are people who hit your total playcount within a month. I think it tells more than any verbal explanation.
At this playcount you're far far from any limits.

Hits > Playcount

OP has 3.6 million hitcount. You would need 120,000~ hits a day everyday to get that. What is that, a 9 hour play day? You could just retry spam after every 10,000 points for many plays to boost up your playcount and still hardly get any hits yet it looks to some people like you played a lot. Playcount means less.

Are you saying that the experience from playing World's End or any other longer map without restarting would be equal to or less than a few retries of a tv sized song?
pandaBee

Kheldragar wrote:

He is rank 17k.
I was actually talking about the gym, dawg. You can get real swole in 1 hour every other day.
I Give Up
Even hitcount isn't that accurate if you compare a stream player to a jump player. One gets five times the hitcount in the same amount of time playing.
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Even hitcount isn't that accurate if you compare a stream player to a jump player. One gets five times the hitcount in the same amount of time playing.
But which is more accurate, total plays that you can spam every 10-15 seconds on a map for or hits where it could only be slightly skewed if you play LOTS and lots of streams? (And even then you still have to play compared to fast retry spamming) In which case you're probably really fucking good at streaming. Wouldn't you expect it to even out slightly because of playing different types of maps?
ZenithPhantasm
@OP quit game or play more
chainpullz
I think if you averaged the time I've played across the full 2 years I've been playing on off for it would be like 5 hours a week maybe and that's being EXTREMELY generous. I have 50% more hits than you and consider myself to barely play. I'm with buny on this one. It's like hitting up the gym for 10 minutes a week and expecting to see results.
AmaiHachimitsu

Kheldragar wrote:

Hits > Playcount

OP has 3.6 million hitcount. You would need 120,000~ hits a day everyday to get that. What is that, a 9 hour play day? You could just retry spam after every 10,000 points for many plays to boost up your playcount and still hardly get any hits yet it looks to some people like you played a lot. Playcount means less.

Are you saying that the experience from playing World's End or any other longer map without restarting would be equal to or less than a few retries of a tv sized song?
Unnecessary clinging to details. PC is the most effective way of depicting one's experience because we assume the player isn't stupid enough to spam retries.
Even if he had 70k PC he is still far away from any possible limit unless he suffers from some hand injury.
The best thing you can do is just to keep playing without thinking too much. Think only when you have to.
Mayoi Hachikuji

ExSpringWind wrote:

i have been playing osu for 2 years and now im wondering if i am at my limit for performance. i dont seem to see myself improve :o

I have played for 2 years too. My playcount is +100k. The difference between you and i. "I am Addicted" Are you?!
Yuudachi-kun

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Unnecessary clinging to details. PC is the most effective way of depicting one's experience because we assume the player isn't stupid enough to spam retries.
Even if he had 70k PC he is still far away from any possible limit unless he suffers from some hand injury.
The best thing you can do is just to keep playing without thinking too much. Think only when you have to.
Why is this the most effective way as opposed to hits? You haven't explained anything. What does it offer over hits?

If someone has 5,000,000 hits and 20,000 playcount I'm going to say he's probably more experienced than the person with 2,000,000 hits and 25,000 playcount. How can you say the guy with a higher playcount is more experienced? Assuming not spamming retries does nothing when you can just look at hits instead and people DO do that.
Popolittz
Look at me. My play count is high af compared to my hit count. OP, imho you don't hit your limit till you've played actively for 6 months straight and see no progress. Even then, if you just take a break for a week and start playing again like I did, you can still improve.
chainpullz
If you aren't putting in at least 300k key presses a month you don't play this game. It would take me less than an hour each day to hit that benchmark. God forbid I put in half that many in a single weekend if I want to.
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

If you aren't putting in at least 300k key presses a month you don't play this game. It would take me less than an hour each day to hit that benchmark. God forbid I put in half that many in a single weekend if I want to.
On an average day I'll do something like 20,000 to 40,000 and the highest I've gotten a day is like ~50,000. Thank you what pulse. (Yes, I pulse before I play and I think the amount of chatting for key presses is insignificant.)

I only play for 2-4 hours.
Deva

Kheldragar wrote:

the highest I've gotten a day is like ~50,000
Dude it took me 3 days to get 70k wtf
Yuudachi-kun

HK_ wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

the highest I've gotten a day is like ~50,000
Dude it took me 3 days to get 70k wtf
It also looks like you're playing 1 star songs.
Deva
Not everyone is as good as you
Yuudachi-kun

HK_ wrote:

Not everyone is as good as you
I'm referring to the note density in 1 star maps vs 5 star maps.

I could play the same maps as you and not come close to 50,000 hits for a day even if I played for hours.
Deva
So that actually means that i overdid it?
otoed1
Offtopic: HK_ why do you bother with so many SS, I feel like you could be a lot better than you are atm. Lol.
Barusamikosu

otoed1 wrote:

Offtopic: HK_ why do you bother with so many SS, I feel like you could be a lot better than you are atm. Lol.
SS > PP
Yuudachi-kun
I have the optimal amount of SS.
chainpullz
I did 140k in a day once and had a RSI scare for a few days afterwords. I can see doing 60-70k in a 5 hr play period on a day off or something (ie. 2 of these on a weekend) and still getting that number of keypresses out of a weekend without risking long-term wrist damage though. I try not to push myself beyond 40k in a day now just out of fear for my wrists and knowing that if I average 30k keypresses a day I'll be on pace with what Rafis averaged so there's no need to push beyond that.
TakuMii
All of these people using rank numbers to evaluate their progress... I remember getting to 80k within a month of playing, and I bet you that I was at least 10 times worse than you guys back then.

Protip: the only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. Rank doesn't actually mean that much until you get close to the top. Just focus on what you need to improve on, and you'll surely get better.
Yuudachi-kun
I like using pp.

YayMii wrote:

Protip: the only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. Rank doesn't actually mean that much until you get close to the top.
Why? Compare yourself to others and your past self so you can see where you stand.

e: Today I got between 150-250 plays and ~38,000 hits. This is from 3 hours of playing.
TakuMii

Kheldragar wrote:

YayMii wrote:

Protip: the only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. Rank doesn't actually mean that much until you get close to the top.
Why? Compare yourself to others and your past self so you can see where you stand.
The PP system is designed to be farmable to the point of saturation (as in, at lower ranks you can actually rank up simply by playing more), so for most players, the only thing it really measures is effort. Maybe I exaggerated a bit by saying "close to the top", but I've seen at least a few players that aren't as high in rank as their skill indicates, simply because they don't want to spend time getting S-ranks on maps that don't challenge them (then again, it's called a performance rank for a reason... If they don't want to make performance-worthy scores, it's their fault. But that's besides the point).
Also, focusing solely on being better than others could potentially stress you out and that could potentially cause demotivation. I've been there, it really sucks.
Yuudachi-kun

YayMii wrote:

The PP system is designed to be farmable to the point of saturation (as in, at lower ranks you can actually rank up simply by playing more), so for most players, the only thing it really measures is effort. Maybe I exaggerated a bit by saying "close to the top", but I've seen at least a few players that aren't as high in rank as their skill indicates, simply because they don't want to spend time getting S-ranks on maps that don't challenge them (then again, it's called a performance rank for a reason... If they don't want to make performance-worthy scores, it's their fault. But that's besides the point).
Also, focusing solely on being better than others could potentially stress you out and that could potentially cause demotivation. I've been there, it really sucks.
If someone isn't spending the effort to gain the plays to indicate their skill, then they don't deserve whatever rank they might be and you shouldn't assume their skill until proven otherwise in multi/spectator/whatever. It's not that the people at say, 2k deserve to be lower because some people below them don't work as hard. Those other people should be higher and the ones at 2k deserve the exact amount of pp they worked for. Why should you criticise a system for failing to account for people who aren't trying? Assume I'm the best chess player in the world or something but I never show up to tournaments and only play in parks. Why the fuck should the world at large recognise my skill when I don't bother to win ranked games to raise my rating and just stick to myself?

If you're comparing yourself to others pp wise, then you're comparing yourselves by your BEST plays. By your BEST accomplishments - not your general skill level. I see nothing wrong with this.

You only get ~416 pp simply by playing new maps, and this takes something like 10,000 maps? That's sort of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. 2,000pp is ~36,000 rank and 3,000pp is ~13,000.

YayMii wrote:

I guess this depends on who you are. I feel it sometimes but don't care and just keep playing; I'm still here.
TakuMii
I didn't really mean to criticize the system, it's simply a fact that it's more farmable at lower ranks. What I mean is that the lower you go, the more you'll encounter people that haven't filled their top plays with actual scores that they're capable of. Which means that for many players, they can rank up simply by playing more. It isn't to say the system is bad (it really isn't)... All I'm trying to say is that a player's rank is pretty meaningless until they put effort into raising it. oh and something about how life shouldn't be about comparing yourself to others and should just be about improving yourself, but that kind of message is 2deep4g&r

But I wasn't really targeting that comment at the OP (16k isn't really low enough to be significantly affected by this), it was more towards those who are in the low 5digit ranks due to not playing much or playing maps that are nowhere near their peak (mainly referring to comments like the one otoed1 made... HK_ could easily raise his rank without actually becoming better at the game if he actually focused on it rather than on SSes, but it really doesn't matter if he chooses not to)