forum

Not seeing any improvements?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
huu
Hey all.

Just a question regarding my own playstyle.

I've been playing osu! for a bit over 4 months.
I've started out by playing 1-2 star maps at first, just to familiarize and stuff, you know.
After I felt like I was acing them, I moved on to 3 stars and the transition wasn't really that difficult, I adapted to it all.

I feel like now I can generally play most 3 star maps.

But how can I properly move on to playing 4 star maps?
Yeah, I do on and off practices on them, but I can't seem to pass most 4 star maps, or if I do pass - it's either a C or B rank with about 84% accuracy.

I play with keyboard and mouse.

How come I'm not seeing any improvements over the past 2 weeks regarding 4 star maps? I still can't pass most of them.

Some tips on how to improve besides playing a lot would be helpful, really. :)
Renevant
Firstly, these kind of questions belong in Gameplay & Rankings .

Tumbailer wrote:

Some tips on how to improve besides playing a lot
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is really much we can tell you about how to improve except to play more. Your playcount is considerably low at a little less than 2k. It may not seem like it, but you will definitely improve with a little more practice.
Aurani
You haven't even played 2 thousand times in total.

As with any question regarding gameplay: play more.
No, seriously, just play more. The only time when "play more" doesn't work anymore, is when you're one of the top 10 people, because the only thing that differentiates them from the other people in top 10 is that they have a "better body" than the others. EVERY SINGLE person below top 10 just needs to play more - no special powers required, no talent required (unless you want to skip through 5 thousand ranks in a few days, then yes, you require talent, as you can learn faster than people without it) - just plain old clicking.
-sev
playmore
Yuudachi-kun
330,000 hits in 4 months isn't playing.

It's like two weeks of playing.
Endaris
play more implies "don't be an idiot"
You have some bad plays(B for Bad) in your topplays that are in the 3,5-4,0 star range. Anything with A or S is usually below 3,5 stars.
My advice:
1. Play more
2. Stop playing Easy- and Normal-Difficulties with HR and/or DT. At best you will develop bad habits and this kind of play is only for your e-peen. The only mods you should consider playing right now are EZ, HD, NF, HT. No-mod is king.
3. Organize yourself to monitor your improvement. Pick a map that is above your skilllevel and play it like every 7 days with NF. Improvement will be very visible from the accuracy rising with each try.
KanoSet
improving takes time.. a lot of it
play more :)
Topic Starter
huu

Endaris wrote:

play more implies "don't be an idiot"
You have some bad plays(B for Bad) in your topplays that are in the 3,5-4,0 star range. Anything with A or S is usually below 3,5 stars.
My advice:
1. Play more
2. Stop playing Easy- and Normal-Difficulties with HR and/or DT. At best you will develop bad habits and this kind of play is only for your e-peen. The only mods you should consider playing right now are EZ, HD, NF, HT. No-mod is king.
3. Organize yourself to monitor your improvement. Pick a map that is above your skilllevel and play it like every 7 days with NF. Improvement will be very visible from the accuracy rising with each try.
Hands down the most helpful thing in this entire thread.
Thank you. :)
pandaBee
Start going up by increments i.e., 3.0-3.2, 3.2-3.4, etc. etc. Eventually you'll be able to do 4* maps.
FlyingKebab
How much you improve is almost entirely up to the amount you play. 10K is a start 30K is getting somewhere 50K is good 100K+ is very good usually. So in contrast you haven't even decently started. Also if you see people with a high playcount but with a low rank then they are most likely to lazy to play for PP.
Topic Starter
huu

FlyingKebab wrote:

How much you improve is almost entirely up to the amount you play. 10K is a start 30K is getting somewhere 50K is good 100K+ is very good usually. So in contrast you haven't even decently started. Also if you see people with a high playcount but with a low rank then they are most likely to lazy to play for PP.
Gee, that definitely doesn't make me want to stop playing at all.
[/sarcasm]
Deva
Your skill is there, its just invisible. In order to make it visible you just need to play more. The more you play the more you will be able to see your skill.
pandaBee

Tumbailer wrote:

[/sarcasm]
No need for the attitude. He's right for the most part, this game has an incredibly high learning curve.
E m i
8-)attitude
-Makishima S-
I am already going into 4* insane maps range and slowly feeling better on it so my own feeling (or long story short):

3-3,5* Hard maps are tricky, you can find "easy maps" and "hard maps". All depends on bpm and honestly - how creator mapped it. Basicaly you need to get used for more complicated patterns like spaced single taps, spaced small streams, stars, squares, short repeatable sliders, small slider spam, etc.

Once you get used to this (took me long time), start developing snapping, as everyone here will probably confirm - you NEED it for higer level maps and learning snap habit is a long way practice. I feel like you learn this all the time but for easy insane maps you need at least basic to be able catch notes in jumps without falling down on rhythm and reading.

Main issue which (i am also having problem) holds you down - reading. Learn to read each note separately, not by group. If you group notes, simply rip and i am serious. Moment when i was able to read "easy insane" maps (range 3,5-4*) was made when i started reading maps by each single circle. It helps a lot and... it gives fun ^^.

At the end - play more. Your total hits is small, you need way more practice before going into higer level maps and trust me - you will someday feel that actualy "dat impossibru fast wtfbbq insane maps" are decent, you can read them, you can follow rhythm and get this 90%+ score clear. You will gather reasonable amount of maps like this and improve your gameplay.

HF & GL!
Remember to PLAY MORE!
ZenithPhantasm
P L A Y M O R E
Astrofiziks

Tumbailer wrote:

[/sarcasm]
never give up! i believe in you!
pandaBee

Astrofiziks wrote:

Tumbailer wrote:

[/sarcasm]
never give up! i believe in you!
I believed once. And then I met loppy.
Astrofiziks

pandaBee wrote:

loppy is on an entirely different level. not everyone can be as good as him.
-sev

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

P L A Y M O R E
P L A Y M O R E
ZenithPhantasm

Astrofiziks wrote:

pandaBee wrote:

loppy is on an entirely different level. not everyone can be as good as him.

Never Forget
trebby

Kaienyuu wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

P L A Y M O R E
P L A Y M O R E
P L A Y M O R E 8-)
otoed1

CuboidBeats wrote:

Kaienyuu wrote:

P L A Y M O R E
P L A Y M O R E 8-)