forum

Is a CRT / Box monitor worth it for osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
is it?
Yuudachi-kun
No
Friendan
have fun with your cancer
no
Gumpy

Kheldragar wrote:

No
TakuMii
Only if you're lucky enough to find a really nice one with a high refresh rate. Otherwise, you're better off not getting eye cancer.
FieryLight
Yes if you play game modes other than standard. (Especially Taiko)
TakuMii
Speaking of Taiko: I just remembered that I took a bunch of LCD vs CRT comparison shots almost 2 years ago that are relevant to this question.
It's been forever since I played standard mode on an LCD so I don't know really how much of an advantage it gives, but it makes scrolling modes like Taiko so much more comfortable to play (again, assuming it's set to a refresh rate that doesn't murder your eyes).
placeholder
Pretty much any 19''+ crt will get 120+hz (a few screens can do 200hz+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdDKazOtjM8) on lower resolutions. CRTs do usuallly have better blacks, contrast, viewing angles and colors than any fast response/high refresh rate lcd. First person shooters are the only game with enough movement on screen to notice and really appreciate the higher hz (the steps visible when you do a quick turn are smaller, it feels more fluid). The input delay difference to good lcds is probably so small it's hard to notice vs a gaming monitor.

I don't think it's worth it for osu!. If you want to play with one and do find a good one, it'll outperform lcds in many areas.

A good crt is an all in one gaming/image editing screen.
ZenithPhantasm
Yes because 0 motion blur due to phosphor decay being much faster than lcd pixel transitions
show more