forum

Mapping preliminaries

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
eh - - -
Yo,

this thread has the focus on newer mapping generation and community growth.

Growth

As nearly every mapper is aware Osu is getting more known , this includes people from everywhere will be popping up and this influences the percentage of mappers . wich also include worse ones , people who arent patient and so on.

To be fairly honest i would count myself to those who are impatient to make a large map project from scratch (attempted already 2 songs , but lack of base understanding made even with days investment to much headache), and lack the propper commitment to learn what is needed to go for every part that will truly make myself proud of submitting this to Osu rankings.

I am unsure if this growth is handled already by the staff by increasing the QAT members or not .
But what is sure is that they are getting their job done , however even their its more bandaiding then giving it enough deep thought to make up for it.
My concern here is the maps that will be in main focus of the competive , and high level players.

Star rating , CS size , OD the pp affectors

Through all eras of mapping there have been known overvalued maps ,
i do not posses knowledge of the code of how every number in a map will result in the Rating that the map will spit out.

But what is publicity known it appears to be harder to adjust then it may seem.

However with the introduction of the star system in 2014 it has been made incredible easy for new mappers that want to get known to have their goal already set in one direction , to not appear invisible . aka high star rating

Star rating itself is influenced by very simple patterns that are known , and it exist way harder to master maps that are simply of no value , are well done and even without playing some of them look beautifully done.

Maps influence on player skill progression and visibillity

With more faster ranked maps that are hugely less challenging as you have more options to choose from many profiles in many player skillplateaus end up with similar maps .

It is the shocking truth

This does influence the progress of all players , even at the highest level
I could give examples for a good set of maps at the highest level but i let that slide for now to put my finger on something more recent.

But before that , one more thing if the numbers come together to create a more ranking deserved attentioncommitment at very high star rating maps , ill point something clear out but this is problably needed.

A map of such a competive factor will not just stay a month in focus , it may have its challenge place for even 2 years to come and for that top notch Quality support is what i aim for in this thread.

The example scapegoat "Dragonforce - Cry Thunder" , it is seemingly easier to compare with other maps of that area since they are something of their own league.

First of all an emotional rant that would take offensive to more artist hearts then just mine , both of his Dragonforce maps have the tag inside how big his investment of time for those 2 things were , from my perspective those numbers seem way to low for such a project and show the clear lack of structure that makes a great Dragonforce map.

the lack of needed attention flow and seemingly sudden stuff , wich also is present in " Last Journey Home "
The previous ranked Dragonforce maps do not posses those extreme factors of max time filler vs playing a map that is appropiate for its difficulty percentage spread

Extensive abuse of simple star rating increase , Cry Thunder is the perfect example of this it is basicly a minefield of trianglejumps . wich scalre crazy with the star rating .

Lack of visual challenges into said sudden patterns , also a good comparison . i am aware those dragonforce maps cant be mapped at inhuman level for 8 minutes straight and based on the flow it naturally makes sense to have slower parts . But even there you can fiddle with HP . and patterns that make people not fall asleep while playing this. The older Dragonforce maps made a good job at that.

So basicly the up and downs are adding into a map that has no good physical approach to them . If we go by player striving to progress , something that flows better is better to hold on without pulling a hulk to even pass a part of the pattern everytime while a player with 30 k ranks below is even bored at the slow parts...

I have problably more things that could make sense towards this and problably will add more regarding the map if its needed but that is more of a quick overview analytic approach...

What is more the goal of this thread is to come to a solution for mapping and the influence on the community.

My Idea

As it stands were in the dark of how Osu Code could be adjusted to have a more logical value spread to make undervalued maps come closer to overvalued maps in terms of clear difficulty.

So if that will tend to pose a bigger problem to go adjust the code towards propper value my base idea is to filter maps more specificly and publicity.

- Monthly pending maps

Base idea is to have maps give after submission a clear wait time of a start from a month till the end , if its submited in the middle of the month it will appear on next months list.

Those pending maps will kind of act like qualification and could even fit in the same area . Maps that are with a quick overview fall already off to even fit in the next months list are naturally gone already . Might even give them weekly priority based on Kudosu priority . Appears logical to give this pattern a shot.

However the goal of this is to filter maps out of the mass , especially those of higher attention value based on what reward they give , and if it is justified by quality work.

By this system a certain percentage of maps will be planed to have the full pass on ranking eternity. While giving the others more time to polish without appearing that the decission is made to rash or its your next typical " 3 - 2 - 1 the next QAT batman " that of course will just get shitted on can take more pride and justice of this work. and also more respect towards decissions. ( sentence build max lvl potato i know)

This will mean maps after a certain value of rating , and popularity by ratings already in the Qualification phase will have a more methodic approach on what to rank first , rather then 1 week and pray and have QATs all time bombarded by the flood of new stuff.

Clear Bonuspoints in this system will have mappers that are already established , have not much to worry about then a small delay with minor adjustments . While the overall Quality of ranking can be paid more attention to.

I hope that something along those lines will bring mapping , and ranking towards more joy for everyone.

~ Shian-aaa
abraker
Uh is there a tl;dr version? From what I can make of this thing, are you saying that mappers are abusing the SR system to sacrifice difficulty over quality? And is your suggestion to extend the qualified list from a week to a month?????

Something tells me you used google translate, which is a bad start already. :/
Woddles

abraker wrote:

Uh is there a tl;dr version? From what I can make of this thing, are you saying that mappers are abusing the SR system to sacrifice difficulty over quality? And is your suggestion to extend the qualified list from a week to a month?????

Something tells me you used google translate, which is a bad start already. :/
I had a tough time deciphering this myself, but that is pretty much what he is suggesting.

@OP try your best to use proper punctuation rather than ending mid-sentence and talking about something completely different on the next line.
abraker
Warning: People will start hating you for this. The ranking process is already tedious as is. You say you tried a couple beatmapping projects, but I doubt you even know what it feels like to go through the ranking process. Get at least 1 map ranked, then I can take you more seriously.
Bara-
Uhm, how about no?
Think about the new (not so good) mappers
If they submit a map, you want that it gets qualified after a month (which is way to small, considering most maps get ranked in multiple months) and then a rating comes. If it's good, it can stay, if it's bad it'll go away, right?
But, new mappers don't know much about mapping and thus creat unplayable maps. Those will get a rating of 3 at most. Getting to hear many people dislike your map is terrible.
I don't really mind it, as the problem with my maps is that it doesn't get attention from BN xD

Also, people need to put effort in ranking their maps, uploading and wait for a few weeks is not good. You need to ask for mods, you need to apply them to get better etc. A speedrank is never good.

Also, people should stop mapping for the sake of the difficulty being high
You don't map songs because you want them to be difficult, you map them because you like the song and want to map it, not to satisfy hvick or WWW

It's a little too long, so, as Abraker said, an tl;dr wouldn't hurt (cause I also have a feeling a made a few mistakes into interpreting it as it's on the long side)

abraker wrote:

Warning: People will start hating you for this. The ranking process is already tedious as is. You say you tried a couple beatmapping projects, but I doubt you even know what it feels like to go through the ranking process. Get at least 1 map ranked, then I can take you more seriously.
True, the ranking process is harsh. I have one map, 2 years old, not ranked (with 172 SP >.<)
But you need to continue and improve yourself, you'll get a ranked map one day (so did I, a few months ago, it only took me 4 months)
Akali
Fun fact, every 3 points of a plane that aren't on one line form a triangle
TicClick
fun fact: even if they're all lined up, they still form a triangle
Akali
Interesting
Bara-
180 degrees
Mazzerin
the cornerless equilateral triangle
abraker
Triangles are for squares