posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuudachi-kun

Bauxe wrote:

It won't make you better.
Tablets make everyone better, mate.
pandaBee
The more tablets you buy, the more power you obtain.
xasuma
Wouldn't make a difference I think.
Mafuuu
If you want a different pen for grip/weight then maybe but it really isn't worth it imo.
ZenithPhantasm
C used a Wacom therefore a Wacom is clearly superior.
You wont improve by buying new tablet
Karuta-_old_1
I would have bought the cheaper tablet if there was a choice, those pro players probably got theirs a long time ago
autoteleology

Kheldragar wrote:

The truth that nobody who spent $30-100 on a piece of equipment used only for the game wants to admit
Yuudachi-kun

Philosofikal wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

The truth that nobody who spent $30-100 on a piece of equipment used only for the game wants to admit
Why would this be embarassing? I've spent probably 600 hours on the game so far so good investment.
Gumpy
The H420 is fine you won't see a noticeable difference once you get used to it. The only reason I have a wacom is because I got it for free.
The Gambler
Wacom tablets come with software, so nothing different than an h420.

I only bought Wacom as I fiddle with Anime and Manga Studio from time to time. And bigger surface area means better precision for editing work. Other than that, osu doesn't need an expensive tablet really...
autoteleology

Kheldragar wrote:

Why would this be embarassing? I've spent probably 600 hours on the game so far so good investment.
I don't believe I said that
Yuudachi-kun
The implication is that "not wanting to admit" means "ashamed" or "embarassed"
autoteleology
The point is that most people won't admit that tablets are better suited to osu! than mice. There are zero mouse players in the top ten, despite tablets not having been around at the start of osu!.
TakuMii
But tablets were around back then... Not to mention the fact that osu! was based off of a touch-screen game...
autoteleology

YayMii wrote:

But tablets were around back then... Not to mention the fact that osu! was based off of a touch-screen game...
osu! was originally mouse only. Read the wiki.

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Play_Styles#Mouse-only
TakuMii
I was responding to your statement that tablets weren't around back then... Sure there weren't any tablet players back then, but it doesn't change the fact that people like sayonara-bye are using tablets that are older than the game itself.

And I'll say this again: osu! was based off of a game that played on a touch-screen. If it wasn't for that, people probably wouldn't even be using tablets for this game at all.
-sev

Philosofikal wrote:

The point is that most people won't admit that tablets are better suited to osu! than mice. There are zero mouse players in the top ten, despite tablets not having been around at the start of osu!.
Angelsim reached rank 5 or 6 with mouse.
autoteleology

YayMii wrote:

I was responding to your statement that tablets weren't around back then...
This is not what I meant. The intent of my statement should have been clear with my last response.

Kaienyuu wrote:

Angelsim reached rank 5 or 6 with mouse.
Angelsim isn't using the mouse anymore, so the point is moot.
-sev
No it's not. He reached that rank using mouse, the fact that he changed to tablet a few days ago doesn't mean jack shit.

But yeah if you want put aside 3 years of mouse experience for a few days of tablet play.
autoteleology

Kaienyuu wrote:

No it's not. He reached that rank using mouse, the fact that he changed to tablet a few days ago doesn't mean jack shit.
It most certainly means he agrees with me.
trebby
Up to you.
TakuMii

Philosofikal wrote:

Kaienyuu wrote:

It most certainly means he agrees with me.
It means nothing, and you're trying way too hard to derail this thread.
And I wonder why I keep coming back to this forum...

On-topic: Your tablet is just fine. The only benefits you'd get by switching to a Wacom is the battery-less pen and the larger tablet area, neither of which you really need.
autoteleology

YayMii wrote:

It means nothing, and you're trying way too hard to derail this thread.
If "trying to derail the thread" means "responding to people who quote me", then I suppose yes. But I also suppose that would make you just as guilty as me, for contesting my opinion and creating a debacle.

As far as me being "corrected", we have one person out of ten who used a mouse, which is still pretty much just as damning as far as the current end game of the mouse is concerned. No amount of getting defensive is going to change that. If all you have to argue against that is whining, then it is perfectly okay to agree to disagree, because I don't think anyone wants to read it.

Also, welcome to G&R, where there are no such thing as rails to derail from.

And I wonder why I keep coming back to this forum...
maybe you shouldn't :arrow:
TakuMii
Ehh, I was referring to how you stated your opinion as if it was fact in the first place (I never even disagreed with your opinion... If anything, I was poking at your choice of words). But I'll try to reiterate myself in a way that you might understand: osu! is quite literally a clone of a game that was played using a stylus pen, and Angelsim did not switch to tablet for the purpose of proving your point.
(as for the Top 10 thing: a lot of top mouse players have quit or stopped caring about rank, so the lack of other top10 mouse players is in part due to lack of dedication/motivation... but hey, if a guy can win a Street Fighter 4 tournament with a PS1 controller, anything is possible)
totekingsg1
Well, 420 will have the job done, but I usually suggest directly to buy wacom stuff. Had no problems with them, software is updated, area is bigger, and is easier to find other type of hardware compatible with them.

I know they are expensive, but after drawing and playing A LOT, I promise it was worth.
The Gambler
Just don't buy the silly excuse of a tablet Wacom Bamboo Pad. It isn't worth it, trust me.
TakuMii

The Gambler wrote:

Just don't buy the silly excuse of a tablet Wacom Bamboo Pad. It isn't worth it, trust me.
Didn't they actually release drivers for the Bamboo Pad a while back? I remember it releasing with absolutely no software, but I was hoping that the drivers would at least make the wired version good enough for osu! (although it still wouldn't be that much different from an H420 considering that they're almost the same size).
twackycats
For me, the difference between an H420 and a CTL-480 was enormous.

The H420 tablet itself is pretty solid. The pen, however, didn't suit me at all. The AAA battery added far too much weight and felt clunky.

The pen that came with the CTL-480 feels way more natural. However, the tablet has a coarse surface. If you decided to buy a CTL-480, make sure you get a tablet protector (I got mine from POSRUS through amazon). The protector will reduce the friction substantially allowing for more freedom of movement. Also, the pen nibs will wear down at a much slower rate.

In terms of software, I greatly prefer Wacom's. The H420 software doesn't allow you to input numbers for tablet area which makes it difficult to see the proportionality. The Wacom software also allows you to force proportions which can be beneficial if your display resolution is of the same ratio as your Osu! client.

If you plan on using the tablet for more than just Osu!, then I'd recommend something other than the H420 as well. The CTL-480 has a radial menu which is very customizable and is great for graphic design. There may be some better options on the market, but I haven't tried many other tablets.

People will always say that a new tablet, or just a tablet in general, won't make you better. This is true to some extent. However, if a tablet feels more natural for you, then it's worth the investment in my opinion. Personally, I find playing with a tablet to be much more fun. Sure, I could probably do just as well with a mouse after some practice, but it all comes down to what's more enjoyable.
Mahogany

twackycats wrote:

The H420 software doesn't allow you to input numbers for tablet area which makes it difficult to see the proportionality.
U wot m8?

twackycats

Mahoganytooth wrote:

twackycats wrote:

The H420 software doesn't allow you to input numbers for tablet area which makes it difficult to see the proportionality.
U wot m8?

Hm, the software for my H420 looks completely different...
The pen differences still make a considerable different, personally.