forum

Switching to keyboard-only clicking - advice?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Hello, guys and gals. :)

I have a question, and I will keep it simple to spare you time...
... so far I clicked with M2 and K1+K2; M2 for jumps, sliders, normal or slow clicks and stuff... K1+K2 for spamming purposes like streams, quick clicks or when the beatmapper felt like spamming short sliders.

But I tried out clicking with keyboard only for fun (in Autopilot Mode) on a map I could never beat so far, Scarlet Rose - and boom, suddenly I get a 390 combo without any effort, with an all-green performance line as the cherry on top... meaning, since I can do Scarlet Rose in Relax Mode kinda okay, I could technically beat Scarlet Rose with this play method!
And I also noticed that my general movement improves significantly when not clicking with the mouse.

The only PROBLEM:
I can't really click jumps or successive clicks of a normal pace accurately with K1 and K2.
Clicking those with M2 somehow helped me to "snap" to the beat and map, making precise mouse movements and clicking at the perfect moment... but somehow I'm having a hard time doing that when clicking those with K1 or K2.

Is this a common problem, and is there some trick for people like me who switch to keyboard-only clicking?
I hope there are some people here who can give me some advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance to all the helpful people who might reply to this! :)

Greets,
AniGa
Yuudachi-kun
You should switch to using keyboard only.
trebby
Practice enough with it, and you'll get used to keyboard only.

there is no trick, play more
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Hmm... okay :/
And there's really not some way to maybe mentally connect that keyboard clicking and the mouse movement better? Hmpf... >.<
And of course I'll keep going with keyboard. I see how much better I can be that way. ^^

Oh, and weird thing is: When I'm on autopilot, not actually moving the mouse, I click accurately with the keyboard... like I said, I click-own Scarlet Rose. But once I move the mouse to it, the clicks themselves become inaccurate...
... that's sorta odd. O.o

Greets,
AniGa
Yuudachi-kun
Play real songs instead of autopilot scarlet rose hardest map ever.
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
I play that map and others on No Fail to "train".
That autopilot thing was just the thing that made me even get the idea that I'm much better when not clicking with the mouse.
Maenen
Also: disable mouse buttons with f10, that will force you to use the keyboard

you're using different hands for different things so it's going to take some time. it took me about a month to get used to kb only, it'll probably take you less time to do ok since you were already using it for streams. u can do it
Yuudachi-kun
Get a tablet and be forced to use the keyboard like I was.
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
I actually DO have a tablet since I draw manga... but I'm not so sure whether it's worth the "jump" and the learning process. So, whether it will improve my osu! play or steal time from me. ^^
(I disabled the mouse buttons already.)
buny

Kheldragar wrote:

You should switch to using keyboard only.

Kheldragar wrote:

Play real songs instead of autopilot scarlet rose hardest map ever.

Kheldragar wrote:

Get a tablet and be forced to use the keyboard like I was.
you're really going all out

winber should just retire, he can't keep up with this generation of shitposting
Yuudachi-kun
With winber1's constant 600 hour leave of absences and brief returns, I feel the need to take his place.
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

With winber1's constant 600 hour leave of absences and brief returns, I feel the need to take his place.
Ftfy.
Also @ OP PLAY MORE
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Ftfy.
Also @ OP PLAY MORE
You changed shit.
autoteleology
Mouse clicking is fail. I say this as someone who was mouse only up to #50,000. Learn the keyboard, a month in and you will feel stupid for not having starting off that way.
Topic Starter
AniGa_old
Uhm, ya, I'm doing that. Clickin' with K1 and K2, M1 and M2 disabled.
I'm training with that now. Like I already said. ^^
woqx

AniGa wrote:

I could technically beat Scarlet Rose with this play method!
technically you could beat scarlet rose with any playstyle

AniGa wrote:

is there some trick for people like me who switch to keyboard-only clicking?
play a lot and get used to it

AniGa wrote:

this is not a good training method and neither is using relax/autopilot
Topic Starter
AniGa_old

woqx wrote:

AniGa wrote:

I could technically beat Scarlet Rose with this play method!
Actually, not really. With my old playstyle, M2+K1+K2, I can't click that map properly.

woqx wrote:

AniGa wrote:

is there some trick for people like me who switch to keyboard-only clicking?
play a lot and get used to it
On it. ^^

woqx wrote:

AniGa wrote:

this is not a good training method and neither is using relax/autopilot
Like I said, I only did that to see whether I could click it the other day.
And you think playing No Fail is a bad idea? May I ask why? Well, if you say so, then I guess I'll just play normally ^^
E m i
do you know the meaning of 'technically'?
-Makishima S-
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/330295

Single tap all day long.
Also good to train controled alternating game style.

HF & GL
woqx

AniGa wrote:

woqx wrote:

Actually, not really. With my old playstyle, M2+K1+K2, I can't click that map properly.
It's totally possible to beat the map with your old playstyle, the only reason you "can't click that map properly" is because you're not good/experienced enough.
What i was trying to say is that while some playstyles are usually considered better, anything can work if you spend enough time learning it. You could even beat the map if you were clicking with your toes and holding the pen with your mouth, but it would require a lot of experience with this playstyle

AniGa wrote:

And you think playing No Fail is a bad idea? May I ask why? Well, if you say so, then I guess I'll just play normally ^^
Playing NoFail isn't necessarily a bad idea, the problem is that you're using it to get Cs and Ds on insanely difficult maps. You would normally die after about a second because you have no idea what you're doing. Don't play these maps
Topic Starter
AniGa_old

[Taiga] wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/330295
Single tap all day long.
Also good to train controled alternating game style.
HF & GL
Thanks for that mapset! Should help getting my now-the-click-hand up and working. :P

woqx wrote:

AniGa wrote:

It's totally possible to beat the map with your old playstyle, the only reason you "can't click that map properly" is because you're not good/experienced enough.
What i was trying to say is that while some playstyles are usually considered better, anything can work if you spend enough time learning it. You could even beat the map if you were clicking with your toes and holding the pen with your mouth, but it would require a lot of experience with this playstyle
I know it is, but I just can't do it. On the other hand, I totally CAN click that map when NOT clicking with the mouse... it's weird. But obviously I'm just better that way as it seems... I mean - srsly. In terms of clicking, not using the mouse for that makes me think clicking Scarlet Rose is easy (at least in terms of clicking), and when I DO use it it makes me think "ermagerd this is impossible to click right".
Like... I am better at that map with a playstyle I don't have experience with.
... wha. xD

woqx wrote:

AniGa wrote:

Playing NoFail isn't necessarily a bad idea, the problem is that you're using it to get Cs and Ds on insanely difficult maps. You would normally die after about a second because you have no idea what you're doing. Don't play these maps
And hm? I'm not doing insanely difficult maps. I'm just playing maps that require jumps or low- to mid-speed successive clicks to train my right hand (mouse is left for me) into doing that well. Everything else is totally fine, only jumps and low- to mid-speed successive clicks are still bad with the non-mouse-hand.

By the way - I'm NOT using the keyboard...
... instead, I dug up my old G13 gameboard which has two buttons with the same good sensitivity of mouse buttons.
And that serves me really well so far... since - see, I have a rather old keyboard, one where the buttons need to be pushed in rather far until the click is recognized. So the gameboard serves me WORLDS better. ^^
woqx

AniGa wrote:

I know it is, but I just can't do it. On the other hand, I totally CAN click that map when NOT clicking with the mouse... it's weird. But obviously I'm just better that way as it seems... I mean - srsly. In terms of clicking, not using the mouse for that makes me think clicking Scarlet Rose is easy (at least in terms of clicking), and when I DO use it it makes me think "ermagerd this is impossible to click right".
Like... I am better at that map with a playstyle I don't have experience with.
... wha. xD

While you can become very good with any playstyle, some are obviously better/easier to learn. The "ideal" playstyle uses both hands for different things (one to click and one to aim), making the game much easier, especially when you're used to it. Don't tihink about buying a tablet though, it's not better than a mouse, just different.

AniGa wrote:

And hm? I'm not doing insanely difficult maps. I'm just playing maps that require jumps or low- to mid-speed successive clicks to train my right hand (mouse is left for me) into doing that well. Everything else is totally fine, only jumps and low- to mid-speed successive clicks are still bad with the non-mouse-hand.
The example you picked (scarlet rose) tells me you do play very difficult maps, but that's not the end of the world ofc. All i was saying is that you'll probably improve faster if you play things you can pass, anything else will usually develop some sort of bad habit because you'll be überfordert (i cant think of the english word sry). Also you can easily get better at jumps and "low- to mid-speed successive clicks" (not sure what this really means anyway) by playing maps you can pass without nofail.

Most important thing is to have fun though, otherwise you'll end up quitting. If you enjoy playing the big scarlet freedom material every now and then, go for it ofc

AniGa wrote:

By the way - I'm NOT using the keyboard...
... instead, I dug up my old G13 gameboard which has two buttons with the same good sensitivity of mouse buttons.
And that serves me really well so far... since - see, I have a rather old keyboard, one where the buttons need to be pushed in rather far until the click is recognized. So the gameboard serves me WORLDS better. ^^
Don't worry about the gameboard, you'll be fine as long as you use one hand for clicking, the device doesn't really matter (ex. you could even use a second mouse only for clicking, just make sure it doesn't move).
show more