Topic Starter
cheaptricks
So I recently got a new PC with these specs:
CPU: i3-4160
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 Mini ITX 2 GB
Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43
RAM: G. Skill DDR3 1600 8 GB
HDD: 1 TB Western Drive

My issue is that I switched from a laptop using i3-3120M and Intel HD Graphics and I had no input lag and when I got this new PC, which I bought mainly to play osu, I have massive input lag and it's really annoying. I've tried figuring out what the cause is, but I'm not really that great with computers... And I don't think it's input lag from the monitor.

Anyways, I just need some suggestions for PC specs that are proven to work for osu with no noticeable input lag. Also, I was wondering if there was any problem with the Intel Haswell processors compared to the earlier processors in terms of input lag or latency. Any suggestions for CPU/GPU/Motherboard would be appreciated. I'm thinking of going for some i5 or i7 processor with a bit better graphics card, too.
DeletedUser_3905941
Turn aero OFF.
E m i
decrease flip queue
,,frames to render ahead" or ,,maximum pre-rendered frames"
Topic Starter
cheaptricks

RedPanda wrote:

Turn aero OFF.

[ Momiji ] wrote:

decrease flip queue
,,frames to render ahead" or ,,maximum pre-rendered frames"
already did both
koromo

cheaptricks wrote:

Anyways, I just need some suggestions for PC specs that are proven to work for osu with no noticeable input lag. Also, I was wondering if there was any problem with the Intel Haswell processors compared to the earlier processors in terms of input lag or latency. Any suggestions for CPU/GPU/Motherboard would be appreciated. I'm thinking of going for some i5 or i7 processor with a bit better graphics card, too.
Your specs are way more than enough to run osu smoothly, so I highly doubt that's where the problem lies.

As for the Haswell, I have an i5 4570 and so far it's been great (had an i3 2100 before, no issues either), and you most certainly do not need a new GPU, I have a 750 Ti and experience no noticeable input lag whatsoever. Have you tried playing in true fullscreen? Do you still get the lag? Nothing in the background draining resources? Are your drivers up to date?
ZenithPhantasm
Turn off HPET in bios
lolcubes
Uninstall realtek drivers for your audio. On cheaper boards those drivers create delays for extra features you will never use.
Windows driver will work much better (know 2 people who had this fixed by doing this).
ZenithPhantasm

lolcubes wrote:

Uninstall realtek drivers for your audio. On cheaper boards those drivers create delays for extra features you will never use.
Windows driver will work much better (know 2 people who had this fixed by doing this).
Or you can just disable it in bios completely 8-)
lolcubes
No. It's a driver issue, not hardware issue.
ZenithPhantasm

lolcubes wrote:

No. It's a driver issue, not hardware issue.
Disabling onboard audio would reduce DPC latency which helps with lag
lolcubes
And he will receive sound from what then? OP didn't say he has a sound card. If he had a USB device he would bypass the onboard anyway.
ZenithPhantasm

lolcubes wrote:

And he will receive sound from what then? OP didn't say he has a sound card. If he had a USB device he would bypass the onboard anyway.
Then it would be a good opportunity for him to upgrade 8-)
lolcubes
Why don't you buy it for him then? ;)

P.S. you can have normal DPC latency and still have delay issues.
I actually removed my xonar phoebus in favor of onboard (I actually have a pretty damn good onboard soundcard), and any sound related issues I had were gone. (sync issues when recording)
autoteleology
If you want an external all in one soundcard get this.

http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-da ... -dac-uae23

You won't get any better for $40.

I can point you to better things if you're not going for the cheapest option, as well.
Topic Starter
cheaptricks
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I don't have an external sound card, so I am using the onboard audio, although I have uninstalled the Realtek Audio driver. Would you suggest getting an external USB sound card or a PCI sound card?

HPET has been disabled on the BIOS, too. Is there anything else I can optimize? It still feels like there's a little bit of input delay compared to when I play on my laptop. My monitor is BenQ XL2411Z.
ZenithPhantasm
Turn off Intel Speedstep and change your power plan to high performance in control panel. Also set turn off page file.
autoteleology

cheaptricks wrote:

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I don't have an external sound card, so I am using the onboard audio, although I have uninstalled the Realtek Audio driver. Would you suggest getting an external USB sound card or a PCI sound card? .
Onboard audio is trash compared to external. No exceptions.

It's easier to get external than some kind of PCi setup (which is also usually trash). If you want to spend money, get a Schiit Audio Magni and Modi. I can't recommend anyone who isn't an audiophile like me spending more than that setup - it's ideal for 99% of people.