forum

when to alternate and when to single tap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki
I was searching in the forums for answers because I want to know when I could single tap and when I can alternate. I'm just starting doing 4 star songs and the constant rhythm between the slider and the circle is throwing me off quite a bit so I my fingers gets all messed up and starts tapping randomly

I always sucked at alternating and I always consider not doing so but Tanzklaue says "if you don't plan to play really high bpm maps, you probably don't need to learn to alternate. but alternating always is a useful talent to have, so trying it out won't hurt. alternating takes longer to learn, but you reach higher speeds faster, while single tapping is easier to learn, but only a few chosen individuals are able to tap really fast and accurate. for most people, 240 BPM 1/2 isn't a problem to singletap and you honestly don't need more, as there are maybe 50-100 maps ranked that would profit from higher tappingspeeds."

but the thing is I'm actually planning on playing high bmp songs one day and I think that 4 star maps is where I need to use alternate fingering. Considering
I was single tapping all along until 4 star maps came along
Yuudachi-kun
There are plenty of 240+ when you play DT. 50-100 maps wtf
dung eater
You can always practice it later when it's more relevant to you.
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki

jaaakb wrote:

You can always practice it later when it's more relevant to you.
how do I practice it? Do I alter the finger at the faster beat or something?
Astrofiziks

Mporiyoki wrote:

I'm just starting doing 4 star songs and the constant rhythm between the slider and the circle is throwing me off quite a bit so I my fingers gets all messed up and starts tapping randomly
that's called mashing. why are you playing 4* at rank 290k?
pandaBee
Stick to one style when you're doing harder stuff.
you choose
idealnettles
I would suggest not worrying about it too much, and just do what feels natural.
I find that I single tap most things but will alternate when coming off of a slider.
trebby
I usually single tap on consecutive hit circles, but I alternate when there are multiple sliders in a row or fast hit circles. But it's up to you.
ZenithPhantasm
Just learn full alt and you wont have to think about after you get muscle memory in 10+ million hits
Barusamikosu

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Just learn full alt and you wont have to think about after you get muscle memory in 10+ million hits
Zenny is right.

Source: 10m+ hits
Deva
Just force alt while you still suck at both. It will be harder to learn it properly but the benefit will be much much much greater than learning to single tap.
-sev
Do whatever feels natural.
Deva

Kaienyuu wrote:

When i started playing 5 star maps seemed natural to me.
aka
Dont do what feels natural, do what you are supposed to do to get better.
Yes even if it feels unnatural.
And dont do something just because it feels unnatural and it looks good when someone else is doing it.
-sev

HK_ wrote:

Kaienyuu wrote:

When i started playing 5 star maps seemed natural to me
But that was just you being dumb. Also it's irrelevant.

Different playstyles work for different people.
Deva

Kaienyuu wrote:

But that was just you being dumb. Also it's irrelevant.

Different playstyles work for different people.
Ok that was a bad example...

Single tapping seemed natural to me too.
I learned alternating even tho it felt weird and hard and now i have same accuracy i have when single tapping just at much greater speed.
Just put a little effort into it and it will start to feel natural.
-sev
I get what you're trying to say, but claiming that one playstyle is superior is simply wrong. And since OP is having a hard time choosing, he might as well do what feels most natural.

Speed comes with playmore™
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Full alternating meaning alternate each note?
Barusamikosu

Mporiyoki wrote:

Yes. It's pretty much singletapping except you change fingers every note. /s
ZenithPhantasm

Mporiyoki wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Yes.