forum

In-game International Translator [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Chompey
Hello, I searched the forum and didn't find any topic pertaining to this, so I figured I'd make a topic and suggest it.

Considering Osu is an international game where you'll most likely encounter people in-game that speak a different language, I figured the game could have an option where it uses something like Google Translator to do a rough translation on-the-spot everytime someone speaks something other than your main language. I have no idea if such a thing is possible, and if it isn't I apologize for suggesting it, but it is something I would like to see to help expand socialization in Osu.
anonymous_old
Definitely possible. Definitely unlikely.

Not all strings (text) is yet internationalized, but there is pTransl which can get you started with translations in osu!.

If you want to make an automatic translation, use the English text as a basis to create the translation file.
Gabi
yes yes support it's definitly possible and could be very fun to use ^^
Ephemeral
Machine translation has a propensity to be completely unreliable on formal texts with context. Extend this to IRC, which is informal conversation using language that is more often colloquial than otherwise is just going to end with everybody completely misunderstanding each other and will be of no real use in the end.
Cuddlebun
not to mention people are terrible spellers which might add to the translation confusion
Neo Adonis
In some cases (rarely, maybe), it will be better than doesn't understand anything.

But obviously, the best solution is learning English.
qlum
I support this, it can be very funny to see how bad a translation by google translator might look like.

"translated it from dutch using google translator"
Skyripper
I don't know if this would work how you present it, but I will say that a similar system has had/is having great success in Final Fantasy XI.

That system just uses preconstructed/pretranslated phrases that mean the same thing in every language.

Examples:
Can I have this?
Would you like to play?
Hello
How are you

etc.
CheeseWarlock

Skyripper wrote:

I don't know if this would work how you present it, but I will say that a similar system has had/is having great success in Final Fantasy XI.

That system just uses preconstructed/pretranslated phrases that mean the same thing in every language.

Examples:
Can I have this?
Would you like to play?
Hello
How are you

etc.
It's a neat way of handling it, but I think that osu! has a larger amount of conversation that is not strictly gameplay-related, which would make this difficult. Still, some stock phrases like "could you mod my map" and "want to play multiplayer?" could work with this system.
Kitsunemimi

CheeseWarlock wrote:

Skyripper wrote:

Examples:
Can I have this?
Would you like to play?
Hello
How are you

etc.
It's a neat way of handling it, but I think that osu! has a larger amount of conversation that is not strictly gameplay-related, which would make this difficult. Still, some stock phrases like "could you mod my map" and "want to play multiplayer?" could work with this system.
Hmm... Well, if many people don't know how to get to language respective channels, how would they learn how to use this?