forum

osu! UCI Summer League: Now underway!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jim

osu! UCI is proud to present the osu! UCI Summer League 2015 (OSL)! For unfamiliar with us, osu! UCI is a new up and coming club at the University of California, Irvine. We formed back in November 2014 with a slow start but we're been picking up a lot of steam since then. Check us out at http://osuuci.com/ ! It's been an exhausting first year as a club with trying to get things off the ground and helping to organize Press Start LAN, but all of us here at the club have loved it every step of the way. After planning Press Start, we realized that we loved planning these sort of events out and finding ways to bring the community together. We've spent the last couple weeks discussing and planning the OSL, and we're now open for registrations. To sign-up check out the link here: http://osuuci.com/tournaments/osl/ and fill out the google form. Sign-up's are open until June 30th so be sure to sign up asap! We're currently looking at running around a 32 man tourney but we're always willing to modify our plans and adjust them accordingly if we get more applicants than we expected. Since the club is operating out of California, the match times will be operated on a PDT time zone. Because of this we are encouraging mainly North American players to enter due to time zone constraints, but if an entrant from a different continent is willing to make the time slots we'd be more than happy to have them on board as well.

Swiss Groups

For the map pools, check out the full list here. Each week 3 maps from each mod pick and one tie breaker will be chosen to construct the songs to be played for the upcoming weekend.

Feeling Competitive?

The objective in the league is to try to go one step beyond the traditional single or double elimination tournament format that osu! tournaments usually see. OSL will be run under a Swiss tournament format, featuring multiple groups, giving all of our entrants a chance to not only compete, but to improve as well. The participants will be split into several groups, much like how other sports do, and will compete against each other starting from there. The 10 week Swiss rounds will give every player a chance to scout out their upcoming opponents in their respective groups and do a bit of research on their own. What map picks can you use to give yourself an edge? How can you work on your own play to even out the enemy's advantage? And most importantly, how can you prepare for the inevitable rematch? Following the swiss rounds, the next two weeks will be dedicated to going from the top 16 all the way down to crowning the champion of OSL 2015.

Time,Date and Format

The full tournament will span 12 weeks from July 11th to September 27th. The Swiss matches will be played in 30 minute time slots on Saturday and Sunday from 8-10PM PDT (GMT-7), featuring best of 3's. A massive map pool will be released on June 15th and each of the weeks of the Swiss rounds will have a handful of maps drawn from the larger pool to be played. To make things more interesting, every several weeks the Swiss round maps will feature themes. These could be anything from community related, such as "Broken Dreams" (Maps with high scores that were later on reset due to disqualification such as Pensamento and Super Nuko World) to musically themed maps such as "DnB" or "Touhou". Players will have one week's notice as to what maps they will be available to be played. After a week's break, playoffs start September 26th and September 27th, featuring the top 16 from the Swiss rounds to be seeded in the playoff bracket. From that point on the tournament is to be played as single elimination as a best of 5. Following that the semi-finals will be played as a best of 7 and the grand finals as a best of 9. Each stage will have map pools constructed for them accordingly.

Streaming

During the play hours, some matches will overlap but we plan to feature at least one song of every match via stream. Be sure to follow us at http://www.twitch.tv/osuuci every weekend after OSL starts from 8-10 PM PDT to cheer on your favorites!

Prizing

The top 8 of OSL will be featured on the club's website at http://osuuci.com/tournaments/osl/ (Check there for additional information as well) and the top three of OSL will be receiving osu! Supporter as well as products from our club's first proud sponsort, Huion! More details to come regarding prizing soon, so keep updated!

Questions?

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to message me directly on reddit, or on osu! (ign is Jim). The rest of the tournament staff: Max (osuuci dot com), Victor ( lalipo), and Aaron (Xenocidel) are also more than capable of helping you out with any concerns you may have. Hope to see you competing at OSL!
InsaneToe
Sounds awesome! I can't wait!
Szymek
Signed up ! Cant wait.
ChimMi
Looking forward to it!
Topic Starter
Jim
Big thanks to everyone who's gone and thrown us sign up already! It's currently finals season for us so we're all going to be a bit slow on updating information and answering back to you guys, but I assume you all that a message in game or direct message will be addressed as soon as possible. Once this week ends and summer officially begins for UCI we'll be dedicating ourselves to running the tourney full time. Until then please bear with us and keep practicing!
xxdeathx
hi lol
przepson
Signed up :3
LeReyCat
This is looking great, hope to be on board as well!
Karuta-_old_1
I am in, 8-10pm matches GMT -7 sounds okay to me
InsaneToe

Jim wrote:

Big thanks to everyone who's gone and thrown us sign up already! It's currently finals season for us so we're all going to be a bit slow on updating information and answering back to you guys, but I assume you all that a message in game or direct message will be addressed as soon as possible. Once this week ends and summer officially begins for UCI we'll be dedicating ourselves to running the tourney full time. Until then please bear with us and keep practicing!
Take your time! We'll be here waiting for you. :) Best of luck!
xmbrx
I would've joined but sadly. My school here started. I'll register but yeah hands down I'll make as much time as I can to help. no promises tho
Mortal
I can´t join, but I will follow the results
Riven 2
yey
Xenocidel
Only 4 more days until signups close!
Topic Starter
Jim
The 64 entrants have been selected and notified of their admission into OSL! The map pools and brackets have all been put into the original post, good luck prepping for your first week everyone!
jackisgone
can someone put the maps in a rar file so we can download them all at once? :D
Karuta-_old_1

jackisgone wrote:

I have put all the files into my collection folder and exported it, this tool allows you to check what beatmap you don't have and directs you to a html page with download links

I split the collection into UCI (nomod, hardrock, doubletime), UCI Hidden, UCI tiebreaker, 130 beatmaps in total

the collection folder can be merged in .osdb format

puu.sh/iLzLa/9208cb1d9d.zip

instructions:
t/131103

By the way, Addicted to you (DT pick) is 3.62 stars
And Wahrheit is mispelled as wahreit
S2VX

Karuta- wrote:

jackisgone wrote:

I have put all the files into my collection folder and exported it, this tool allows you to check what beatmap you don't have and directs you to a html page with download links

I split the collection into UCI (nomod, hardrock, doubletime), UCI Hidden, UCI tiebreaker, 130 beatmaps in total

the collection folder can be merged in .osdb format

puu.sh/iLzLa/9208cb1d9d.zip

instructions:
t/131103

By the way, Addicted to you (DT pick) is 3.62 stars
And Wahrheit is mispelled as wahreit
Pretty cool collection tool. I'll be looking into using it. I'll be correcting the Wahrheit mispelling in a bit and probably just leave the other one. If it's just a small 0.01 mistake then that should still be fine. If anyone else sees any errors let us know; someone mentioned a broken link earlier. The maps were compiled by hand so naturally some mistakes were made.
jackisgone
im so confused, did the matches already pass? you guys should really pm people to know to check the site and to make a note of the timezone and stuff better
Topic Starter
Jim

jackisgone wrote:

im so confused, did the matches already pass? you guys should really pm people to know to check the site and to make a note of the timezone and stuff better
The dates are all written out on the first post and is updated on our website pretty frequently. Our first day of competition officially begins on July 11th. Participants have been emailed several times through the emails they have provided in the form initially provided. Be sure to keep up to date with those as that is our primary means of communication for all questions/concerns.
S2VX
We're about to go live with week 1 of the league! We've been putting a lot of time messaging back and forth and updating the website this week. You can follow week 1's stats here: http://osuuci.com/tournaments/osl/1/ and watch us on Twitch here: http://www.twitch.tv/osuuci
IOException_old
TATOE