forum

Cherry Mx Reds or Browns?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ZenithPhantasm
Get browns because they're better for typing. You can always solder on two red switches for osu.
Topic Starter
HLCaptainDragon

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Get browns because they're better for typing. You can always solder on two red switches for osu.
I don't have room for soldering on switches nor do I know how to do it.
ZenithPhantasm
If its just for osu save your money and just buy a thnikk osu keyboard. I heard he lowered his price recently and Gateron Clears are easier to press than MX Red aka more speed/stamina/bad acc
Fspirit
I'm using browns since they're good for both gaming and typing. Altought I've heard that WWW plays with blacks so just go with what you want.
Topic Starter
HLCaptainDragon

Fspirit wrote:

I'm using browns since they're good for both gaming and typing. Altought I've heard that WWW plays with blacks so just go with what you want.
I'm just gonna use the new keyboard JUST for osu!,I will use my Blues for typing/other games.
bigfeh

HLCaptainDragon wrote:

Fspirit wrote:

I'm just gonna use the new keyboard JUST for osu!,I will use my Blues for typing/other games.
then go with the keypads. there's no reason for you to buy a keyboard only for this game
usa
I actually played with both browns and reds so imo reds are better for osu.
The way tactility works makes spamming/streaming feel extremely weird with how you can't get the bump reset if your keys are pressed too low so it's harder to judge where the actuation point is.
FlyingKebab
Right, but who doesn't bottom out while playing osu?
usa

FlyingKebab wrote:

when you're forced to stay at bottomed out level for really high bpm?
FlyingKebab

usa wrote:

FlyingKebab wrote:

when you're forced to stay at bottomed out level for really high bpm?
I bottom out on this: http://postimg.org/image/51cnely83/ OD9, so I don't think it really matters, streaming without bottoming out at any BPM at least for me is very hard to do accurately

For example Kynan bottoms on crazy fast streams and singletaps, I use browns btw.

For me at least i have tried blues reds and browns, i like blues the most but for reasons i had to choose between a brown and a red KB, i chose browns not for gaming purposes but because i like the tactile sandy feel way more for typing than smooth reds. IMO I think the difference between the two is minuscule if talking about speed.
usa
Not the worst map but there are DT maps with high speed stacks and streams and patterns that don't give you the chance to bottom out. Especially if you can't read well at that speed.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/83975

You can learn to bottom out at high speeds if you have good control and speed. Then again, we don't all have Kynan level control and speed right (why would you use one of the best speed players as an example)?
_entropic
I'd personally get reds, I don't really like tactile switches, especially the noisy ones.
I'm using blacks right now, but I've used browns, reds and razer's green switches and I like reds the most for all purposes, not just for osu.
Blacks are nice since they are linear and all, but they are too heavy.

Reds are the perfect all around switch in my opinion, but browns are alright.
ZenithPhantasm
OP has a blue switch kb he intends to use for everything else except osu. Tfw people still suggesting he buy a kb when he can just get a keypad for way less.
I think Horo used to make custom keypads that feature blues, reds, blacks, browns, and clears. Not sure if he's ever going to do another run
FlyingKebab
Kinda weird but if cooler master relaunched a batch of MX Green boards I would be all over them ;_;.
ZenithPhantasm

FlyingKebab wrote:

Kinda weird but if cooler master relaunched a batch of MX Green boards I would be all over them ;_;.
Or you can just buy an IBM Model M which should feel similar since the Greens were originally made to replicate the Model M's noise+tactileness.
Endaris
Listen to RSI-chans words cause they're words of wisdom.
autoteleology
When I get some extra money I'm getting a thnikk keypad with Gateron Clears, then slapping some super thick o-rings on them so they bottom out right after the actuation point.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Or you can just buy an IBM Model M and piss off your entire neighborhood with the clacking
Vuelo Eluko
blacks
h4cxxc0r3
rubber dome
Nyxa
I've only ever used reds because I bought a kb with reds and never wanted anything else, for any purpose. So I recommend reds.
trebby
Everything is up to personal preference. You should try testing them at a tech store, see what you like. Reds are linear with no click, and they're easier to press down. Browns are non linear with a tactile bump, and they're slightly harder to press down than reds.
Yuudachi-kun
Blues are better than reds.

Source: me
bigfeh
ONE OF YOU NEEDS TO CHANGE YOUR AVATAR BECAUSE I LITERALLY CAN'T TELL YOU APART
Barusamikosu

bigfeh wrote:

ONE OF YOU NEEDS TO CHANGE YOUR AVATAR BECAUSE I LITERALLY CAN'T TELL YOU APART
I agree. Is this some kind of collab?
autoteleology
I need one of those avatars. Someone hook me up.

EDIT: EXCELLENT
trebby
Welcome.
Yuudachi-kun
Hello, I like blues.
autoteleology
If I had to pick a Cherry, I'd go with Reds, though. They all kind of make too much noise in my opinion however.
pandaBee
Reds aren't that loud.
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

Reds aren't that loud.
You haven't heard me bottom out.
xasuma
If blues are uncomfortable, then i'd go with reds. Since they are the only linear ones. Chances are the brown will feel quite similar to the blues. So you might have a better chance with the reds.
pandaBee

Kheldragar wrote:

pandaBee wrote:

Reds aren't that loud.
Any keyboard can be loud when you smash it with a sledgehammer.
bigfeh

pandaBee wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Any keyboard can be loud when you smash it with a sledgehammer.
Have you tried a Lamborghini?