forum

Is this subforum pointless?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Granger

Philosofikal wrote:

The difficulty of the game comes from learning physical and mental technique, which is, in fact, very complicated. If it wasn't complicated, osu! would be a straight line in terms of how good you get / how long you've played, and everyone would be equally good at each kind of map.
I belive you're reffering to how to practicise properly? Agreed, that can be a difficult thing to achieve, however it is not a thing unique to this game but rather for about any skill ever and once you've learned it you can apply it to about any skill ever aswell, point in case, the game itself does not get any more difficult from that. Likewise with understanding what skill plateaus are, why wouldnt my knowledge from, say ctb apply for std aswell? Im stuck at getting better with HR because, wow, fuck you AR10, how would that be any different for std? (Admittedly i am putting way to little time into the game to get better too, but thats besides the point)

And no, obviously people wont be the same at each kind of map even if learning how to practicise wouldnt matter, they have different talents, some may be slow but are acc and reading gods while others go sanic mode, thats not even considering some people are just less talented overall or not putting enough time into playing more.

Now if you'll excuse me, i am tired and am going to sleep now.
-sev

Philosofikal wrote:

The difficulty of the game comes from learning physical and mental technique, which is, in fact, very complicated. If it wasn't complicated, osu! would be a straight line in terms of how good you get / how long you've played, and everyone would be equally good at each kind of map.
All you need to learn is how to do sik 360 circle noscopes
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Granger wrote:

Likewise with understanding what skill plateaus are, why wouldnt my knowledge from, say ctb apply for std aswell?
Because they share almost nothing whatsoever in common?
Yuudachi-kun
They're both games, they both come from the same developer, they both are in the same program, they both involve pressing buttons, they're both played using a computer, they both have aspects called ar, od, and cs...
pandaBee

Astrofiziks wrote:

Granger wrote:

Sad thing is, im not even angry, just disappointed in people in general.
Like, seriously, must that be?
you certainly came across as angry.

most of the people who just want the information spoon fed to them are noobs or casual players anyway
they are unstoppable
He's right though.

Philosofikal wrote:

Why isn't the information glaringly obvious to find? Why aren't people able to find the answers to the simplest questions immediately?
It's literally at the top of the forum front page.
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Kheldragar wrote:

they both involve pressing buttons, they're both played using a computer
Therefore osu! is the same as minesweeper

Absolutely awful criteria for comparison sir
Yuudachi-kun

Philosofikal wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

they both involve pressing buttons, they're both played using a computer
Therefore osu! is the same as minesweeper
Keyword, you said "share in common".
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Kheldragar wrote:

Oh, we're nitpicking now. I didn't realize.
Yuudachi-kun

Philosofikal wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Oh, we're splitting hairs now.
I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS
Topic Starter
autoteleology
B1rd

pandaBee wrote:

B1rd wrote:

It's not useless. If I could give advice to myself when I started playing I would probably be 3 digits by now.
Pray tell what advice that would be? I want to git git.
It'd basically be an essay, I can't be bothered writing now.
abraker
For one, noobs won't bother to read anything on the forum until way later. Most of them will not search and would ask straight away the same questions for the same reason. If you really want the forum to be clean, block the post button for them under a certain amount of posts until they have hit the search button beforehand. For you guys who can't take the stupid threads, why are you even posting in the said stupid threads? And don't say to point out the thread is stupid, a simple 0 reply count will suffice.
Astrofiziks

abraker wrote:

For you guys who can't take the stupid threads, why are you even posting in the said stupid threads? And don't say to point out the thread is stupid, a simple 0 reply count will suffice.
we want to increase our post count
otoed1
Regarding my earlier post and the lack of obviousness of the wiki/stickies. I feel that an effective way to deal with this would simply to have a link in game to the wiki/stickies in some form. Or perhaps when a new player first enters the forums they're directed to the various important stickies/wiki. This would hopefully reduce some of the nonsense in G&R. Maybe. I hope so at any rate.
-Makishima S-

otoed1 wrote:

Regarding my earlier post and the lack of obviousness of the wiki/stickies. I feel that an effective way to deal with this would simply to have a link in game to the wiki/stickies in some form. Or perhaps when a new player first enters the forums they're directed to the various important stickies/wiki. This would hopefully reduce some of the nonsense in G&R. Maybe. I hope so at any rate.
Main diffrence betwin my childhood times and now is - we was reading books, a lot of them. We worked our way to learn how to gain nesesery knowladge which actual and (more or less) future youth people don't do at all.

For me reading stickies and more - wiki was a pleasure which gave me a lot of knowladge, rest of it i gained by reading topics on forum and talking with this hated by you shitposters - let's be honest, they are more friendly than you think (love you all cool guys).
Not many people now enjoy reading about game mechanic, discovering ceratin things, experimenting, testing and most important, learning by this.
Let's be honest - we have google, we have search engine, we have pretty big knowladge database but not many know how to use it... and it's so easy, cannot spell how easy.

Forum works for people and it's a place where large group of community can share their opinion about things, ask questions and even chillout by simply shitposting (even trolling all the way out in OT). Shitposting is fun if you keep a bit of level without actualy touching well known things, i don't mind it and i tend to join this action in free time or just to chill.

Don't hate and complain about G&R, it's pointless becouse you don't find constructive reasons to make it useless.

Good night.
pandaBee

B1rd wrote:

Synopsis please.
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Synopsis please.
TL;DR it's learn to stream and don't get RSI
pandaBee

Kheldragar wrote:

I'd prefer hearing it from him tbh. Smelly Kelly. Give me all the osu secrets.
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I'd prefer hearing it from him tbh. Smelly Kelly. Give me all the osu secrets.

pandaBee
Gracias. I still want that essay though.
trebby
play more
Granger

Philosofikal wrote:

Granger wrote:

Likewise with understanding what skill plateaus are, why wouldnt my knowledge from, say ctb apply for std aswell?
Because they share almost nothing whatsoever in common?
Since when doesnt std have AR and people struggling with AR10 for the exact same reason i am struggling with it in ctb? That aside, it doesnt matter, skill plateaus and walls exist because some things are pushing your (current) physical limints or go just past this limint, hence why they seem like almost inpassable barriers, it doesnt matter weter this limint is your reaction speed (AR) or your ability to click fast (High bpm) or what else, a wall is a wall. A game can be entirely different, but the concept of skillwalls stays the same for all skill based games.
E m i

Granger wrote:

reaction speed (AR)
no.
Granger

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Granger wrote:

reaction speed (AR)
no.
What else makes AR10 so difficult then? Reading it, ofcourse, but why is it difficult to read if you cant read AR this high already? Id say it is because these circles appear and disappear so fast and you're not fast enough to process what is going on and take action accordingly, ergo your reaction speed would be too slow.
Of course, i could be wrong since i dont play std at a skill level where AR10 is even remotely relevant so maybe it is different after all, so please educate me what makes it difficult if it isnt its speed?
E m i
definitely not reaction speed, since human reaction speed is significantly lower than 400-450ms for ar10 and ar10.3.
i don't know about ctb, but in standard, on AR10 people usually have trouble differentiating between 1/2 and 1/4 (so misread triples and streams, maybe it's because of the distance between approach circles/time between circles fading in on hidden being higher than usual)
since this becomes more apparent the harder a map is, it can't be just reaction time.
in fact, you could ask people who are actually comfortable with playing 10.3
B1rd
It is reaction time. When people quote 'human reaction time' usually they're talking about stuff like how fast you can press a button after the light goes green or whatever. However when it comes to complex tasks, like aiming and hitting objects on a screen at certain points in time, your reaction speed is a lot slower. But it's also something you can improve quite significantly through practice.

Although I think high AR in CTB is a more significant barrier than in standard.
I Give Up
This subforum changed my life. Thank you.
E m i

B1rd wrote:

It is reaction time. When people quote 'human reaction time' usually they're talking about stuff like how fast you can press a button after the light goes green or whatever. However when it comes to complex tasks, like aiming and hitting objects on a screen at certain points in time, your reaction speed is a lot slower. But it's also something you can improve quite significantly through practice.

Although I think high AR in CTB is a more significant barrier than in standard.
one's reaction time is only a minor factor in it, as you said it yourself, there is also an element that people are able to improve on significantly. osu! is not about pure reaction (even if we're talking about aim, because there are minor differences in actions required for different objects in different scenarios of actual cursor placement), but reading is also important.

B1rd wrote:

something you can improve quite significantly through practice.
= reading
this is why reaction time, even if it plays an arguably minor role, will never be the ultimate limiting factor in high AR reading.
silmarilen

[Taiga] wrote:

By playing more HDHR i didn't improved it.
By playing more AR7 HR i didn't learned how to read ar9.8 (and actualy achieved good acc fc with it).
By playing more AR8 HR i didn't learned how to read ar10 (and can keep up above 90% acc on it despite sliderbreaks on od8.4 / 9.8 cs5.2 / 6.5).
By playing more nomod i didn't improved ar8 and ar9.
By playing more my aim, acc and speed didn't improved that i am able play songs which was too hard like 2 weeks ago.
>8k playcount
dude nice
E m i

silmarilen wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

By playing more AR7 HR i didn't learned how to read ar9.8 (and actualy achieved good acc fc with it).
By playing more AR8 HR i didn't learned how to read ar10 (and can keep up above 90% acc on it despite sliderbreaks on od8.4 / 9.8 cs5.2 / 6.5).
By playing more my aim, acc and speed didn't improved that i am able play songs which was too hard like 2 weeks ago.
>8k playcount
dude nice
ayy
The Gambler
I feel like this happened:

via Imgflip Meme Maker

God bless all. I have faith in this world.
Daborgia
Is this subforum pointless?

-Makishima S-

silmarilen wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

>8k playcount
dude nice
ayyy, you discovered scariest secret of mine, now i need to kill you 8-)
dunno if sarcasm or serious, my "reading betwin the lines" is crap today.
ikr i am noob in practical aspect of the game ^^
but hey, i am nice guy and walking wiki and google search in one.
silmarilen
actually im the one that didnt get the point of your post
rip me
pandaBee

[Taiga] wrote:

I believe in Taiga rank #1
-Makishima S-

pandaBee wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

I believe in Taiga rank #1
I never claim that i want it, not gonna happend, i will never be even close to skilled players, wish i could be but it will never happend and i am aware of this (reasons are worthless for this forum).
Same as i neve claim that i am good in practical way like godlike gameplay or shit. As silmarilen pointed, it's just 8k playcount >.> (so it was actualy sarcasm about "wtf you know about osu!" right?).
As i said somewhere - i am practicaly rewriting what i red in this forum, wiki and learned from my dear high rank friends in case of theorycrafting. That's actualy completly diffrent POV.

rip me
It was answer for bullshit called "you don't progress by playing more". Now it's more clear?
pandaBee

[Taiga] wrote:

I never claim that i want it, not gonna happend, i will never be even close to skilled players, wish i could be but it will never happend and i am aware of this
Dont give up. N E V E R give up.
silmarilen

[Taiga] wrote:

rip me
It was answer for bullshit called "you don't progress by playing more". Now it's more clear?
yeah someone told me after i posted it
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

[Taiga] wrote:

I never claim that i want it, not gonna happend, i will never be even close to skilled players, wish i could be but it will never happend and i am aware of this
Dont give up. N E V E R give up.
Someday I will be rank 100,000
Karuta-_old_1
you just answered your own question mate

I am sure most of the non-technical question can be answered by playing multiplayer with people who know what they are doing

and not asking why am I not improving kind of shit
show more