forum

Do i have to make my pen touch the tablet while playing ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EpicThoms
Hello !

So i wanted to know if it's better or not to make my pen touch the tablet while playing. I recently realized that if my pen touches the tablet and that i use two keys on my keyboard some hits on these keys are not detected :cry: Is it normal ? Also, the tablet i currently have is my friend's tablet and i saw that when playing like 1/2hr straight the tablet has some sort of " dust" all around my pen's touching area, and now it has a mark on the middle.. So it's rather problematic, i really don't want to damage it :?

Thanks !
Trosk-
This depends on you, some people hover, and some people drag the pen. Personally, i drag the pen and my tablet isn't damaged. Which tablet do you have?
dung eater
no
Topic Starter
EpicThoms

Trosk- wrote:

This depends on you, some people hover, and some people drag the pen. Personally, i drag the pen and my tablet isn't damaged. Which tablet do you have?
I have the Wacom intuos with the default pen. You don't have any residues on your tablet after dragging ? I'm so confused :cry: Do you think that it's because the tablet has been used for a long time ?
sheela
I suggest you don't drag the pen on your tablet. I think the nib would get used, so it is not good. Also, like you said, if you play with the keyboard, you can miss objects because your pen is clicking.
Raixor

sheela901 wrote:

I suggest you don't drag the pen on your tablet. I think the nib would get used, so it is not good. Also, like you said, if you play with the keyboard, you can miss objects because your pen is clicking.
You can disable mouseclicks (f10 default)

And the point regarding damaging, I drag my pen and a friend of mine also drags his pen but his tablet still looks like just recently bought while on my tablet you can clearly make out the area which I play osu with. I guess it depends on the person and how much force you put on the pen. His first nib is also still in tact while I am on my 3rd nib after rougly 10 months of playing.
Topic Starter
EpicThoms

sheela901 wrote:

Ok, thank you, i recently had some problems with streaming and i guess it was just because of that :!: But to be honest i really prefer dragging my pen, but i guess i'm gonna have to hover till i get my own tablet ^^

Raixor wrote:

You can disable mouseclicks (f10 default)

And the point regarding damaging, I drag my pen and a friend of mine also drags his pen but his tablet still looks like just recently bought while on my tablet you can clearly make out the area which I play osu with. I guess it depends on the person and how much force you put on the pen. His first nib is also still in tact while I am on my 3rd nib after rougly 10 months of playing.

Umm.. When mouseclicks are disabled the game doesn't recognize my keys anymore :cry: And yeah i guess, as i'm still struggling to do some maps i gotta be focused and i'm forcing on my pen not intentionally :( Do you think that i should change my nib to reduce damages on the tablet ?
The Gambler

EpicThoms wrote:

Umm.. When mouseclicks are disabled the game doesn't recognize my keys anymore :cry: And yeah i guess, as i'm still struggling to do some maps i gotta be focused and i'm forcing on my pen not intentionally :( Do you think that i should change my nib to reduce damages on the tablet ?
Well, is it the in-game function or the tablet function? Clicking should only be disabled from the playfield and nowhere else with the in-game function (F10). Only in the Wacom Preferences Utility you can disable clicks entirely.

OT: You can try removing the nib entirely but that would mean you cannot click with your pen (lest it be the double-ended pen; you can flip and click with the eraser end). Only when you play tap+x would you ever need to click on the playfield with your pen; even so you still need to hover in order to register individual mouse clicks.

You may still drag, but a word of warning is that if you habitually forget to disable in-game clicks, K1 or K2 will be locked and will render you incapable of streaming. You may still singletap, but who singletaps streams without converting their fingers into jackhammers?
pandaBee
If you don't keep your pen on the tablet then you'll incur the wrath of the osu gods and they'll smite you down and you'll lose all your pp and your post count will drop to -5,000.
Barusamikosu
It's okay to touch the tablet as long as you are gentle. Maybe look into using protection.
The Gambler

Barusamikosu wrote:

It's okay to touch the tablet as long as you are gentle. Maybe look into using protection.
Azer had those vinyl wraps somewhere. Or if you're willing to ghetto rig your tablet b/c I know these are too large, try these:
https://store.wacom.com/us/accessories/ ... reduction/
ithgyu
Who cares if you scratch your tablet by dragging, or if you wear out the nib, just replace it. You dont have to do either, you can choose, more people hover, but there is no real benefit to it

t/140463
Toph
No, you don't.

Regarding damage though, I use a Wacom Bamboo CTH470, and I use a relatively small area but nothing too extreme. I also drag.
Pretty much I used it so much over the past 2 months it now has physical marks on it (not just scratches!), making it unable to play as accurately as I used to be able to, as it gets stuck on these marks sometimes. You could argue I just switch where the active area is, but that is uncomfortable and the same problem will just happen again. I can't play hover.
pandaBee

Zech wrote:

No, you don't.
I also drag.
Pretty much I used it so much over the past 2 months it now has physical marks on it (not just scratches!)
Lewd. Did your tablet give you consent?
ZenithPhantasm

pandaBee wrote:

Zech wrote:

No, you don't.
I also drag.
Pretty much I used it so much over the past 2 months it now has physical marks on it (not just scratches!)
Lewd. Did your tablet give you consent?
Raixor

Zech wrote:

I also drag.
Pretty much I used it so much over the past 2 months it now has physical marks on it (not just scratches!), making it unable to play as accurately as I used to be able to, as it gets stuck on these marks sometimes.
Well you can just keep using that area until the surface of the tablet completely smoothes out, that's basically what I did, the area is so smooth (or slick?, dunno what the better word is here) that it reflects light.
xasuma
I've always dragged, never changed nibs.
My tablet has a scratched square , but other than that. Everything ok.
^ yes that little square is smooth as well, nicer to drag after you break it in , lol
Ziassan
Hmm this is a real concern.

I used to drag and tap with the pen, but it really damaged both the pen and a bit the tablet, so I removed the tip of the pen and just used it without pencil (it works as well). But in the end the tablet was still being damaged I always feel like it 'grips' and I miss because of that.

Honnestly the best would be to never touch but it's hard (to impossible) to do if you took a bad habit.
_-INFECTED
Somtimes i just do both, im focused on the map and i slide on the tablet.
But mainly i hover
Yuudachi-kun
I tried dragging once. I couldn't keep the pen on the tablet.
ZenithPhantasm
Get a tablet cover and/or get a felt nib.
Topic Starter
EpicThoms
Alright, so for the past week i tried to hover and to be honest, it's not that bad. I won't say that i'm as accurate as when i was dragging but it's still great. I think that when i'll get my own tablet i'll buy one of these tablet covers, it seems really useful not to get your tablet damaged.
Thanks for all these replies guys <3
_entropic
I hover, but sometimes I accidentally tap the surface during jumps, or drag very lightly on streams.
Your pen grip, area and a few other variables effect whether dragging is good or not.
I'd guess, if you use full area and full screen like me, hovering is probably slightly better, most of the time.
Not sure about smaller areas, as I've never tried them.
Fatal015
I started off hovering and switched to dragging. I love dragging now, I'm WAY more consistent. >3< I would suggest dragging lightly so that you don't put too much pressure on the tip of the pen if you are going to start dragging though. And about the tapping not registering.. The pen's tip counts as a mouse click, so you would need to disable "mouse click during gameplay" to stop this from happening.
lanceosis
i know there no one typee on this topic but if i drag the pen on my tablet it does not click the circles

i have huion h420
Arctos Sagittario

lanceosis wrote:

i know there no one typee on this topic but if i drag the pen on my tablet it does not click the circles

i have huion h420

You don’t just reply to a 5-year-old thread… they’re dead. Let them rest in peace.

Start a new thread and you may have more replies, but you may have disabled mouse buttons in gameplay. Hit F10 to quickly enable/disable it.