DPI of Mouse Effect

posted
Total Posts
25
show more
Endaris

LegendXV wrote:

Should acceleration be at 0 in Razer Synapse?
huehue, do you even know what you bought? i didn't either in detail
personally i'd turn it off and google what it actually does.
If it turns out to accelerate your cursor keep it turned off.

Aside from that:
Many low dpi players use a lower resolution(I do at least). 1920x1080 is ~1,558x bigger than 1440x900 so if you multiply that with the corresponding dpi the 800 dpi players would get something like 1250dpi for 1920x1080.
If I'd go lower than i'm now I think that I would have to change my grip and movement cause right now I'm still playing with my wrist/fingers while using something inbetween a fingertip and clawgrip.

Short story:
lower dpi=more control=more precision=less misses=more FCs/try=more pp/time
This obviously doesn't matter when you're bad like I am but progamers/top osu! players will rarely ever use very high dpi(like the max 3500 from your mouse).
Topic Starter
LegendXV
I'm having problems getting from place to place with 800 DPI. Five notes pass by the time I can even inch the mouse to the note.
Endaris
As already mentioned, for low dpi use your arm instead of your wrist.
FlyingKebab
As a guy who gets a kick from playing too hard maps for myself (300BPM Tear Rain < 3) I can tell you that you will just have to tryhard in a sense at first with a low dpi. I have played for 1 week with 150dpi 6/11 @ 1366x768 and it was possible so 800 is really nothing. Just keep trying. It's gonna take some effort.
CelegaS
what is a dpi?
minikins

HK_ wrote:

Its seriously only personal preference. I use mouse so cheap that i cant even set dpi and thus i dont even know what dpi am i using and i can still play decently.
If you dont mind moving your hand over the whole table set 0dpi and if you are to lazy to move at all set billion dpi.
thats it...
I'm on the same boat as you here, my mouse cost £2.99. Dpi is a personal choice though.
Vio
I transitioned from 3500 dpi to 800 dpi, then after a month playing my hand strain from playing just a short tv size map. I increased it slightly to 1200 and it rarely happens now. Maybe you could go down to 1600/2000 dpi first and adjust from there. :)
bigfeh
Hardware is useful to express skill. If your mouse allows you to accurately translate physical movement to cursor movement, then it's good

Hardware cannot, however, express what is not there. So if you're a shit player you can be content with a shit mouse

Cheap mice = cheap sensors = shit sensors = shit mice. Get over it
I Give Up
Mouse tracking explained:
ZenithPhantasm

CelegaS wrote:

what is a dpi?
Its a measure of how sanic your mouse movements can be.
Drayne

Endaris wrote:

LegendXV wrote:

Should acceleration be at 0 in Razer Synapse?
huehue, do you even know what you bought? i didn't either in detail
personally i'd turn it off and google what it actually does.
If it turns out to accelerate your cursor keep it turned off.

Aside from that:
Many low dpi players use a lower resolution(I do at least). 1920x1080 is ~1,558x bigger than 1440x900 so if you multiply that with the corresponding dpi the 800 dpi players would get something like 1250dpi for 1920x1080.
If I'd go lower than i'm now I think that I would have to change my grip and movement cause right now I'm still playing with my wrist/fingers while using something inbetween a fingertip and clawgrip.

Short story:
lower dpi=more control=more precision=less misses=more FCs/try=more pp/time
This obviously doesn't matter when you're bad like I am but progamers/top osu! players will rarely ever use very high dpi(like the max 3500 from your mouse).
Imo players should pick the highest dpi they can handle. Let's say you can handle 2000 dpi, then I think you shouldn't go lower, because high dpi=less movement=less effort=faster aim. There was FunOrange for example who played with quite high dpi and he still has one of the best scores in th game if it comes down to aim. So as I said, I think you shouldn't go lower if you ca handle higher dpi. But that's just my opinion there
The Gambler
I'll quote what I said on another thread, with regards to mouse DPI and stamina.

dagambler999 wrote:

Here are my thoughts on this as I constantly try new playstyles for the sake of enjoying osu! Mind you this applies to both mouse and tablet players.

IMO, you tense up your hands more with a smaller area/ high DPI. I'd call it dexterity strain as it takes crazy amount of skilled micro movements to make use of such areas/DPI and can drain stamina when your hands are tensed for too long (kinda like holding a squat for a while; your legs start shaking after some time)

There are also players who play with larger areas/lower DPI. They tend to whip their hands all over the place with less regard for accuracy as less sensitivity compensates for that. Granted, the stamina drain results from moving rather than tensing your hands - the sheer magnitude of hand movements (maybe even arms for really low DPI players) will tire your hands out; I'd call it mobility strain (Imagine doing a full sprint for at least a kilometre; there's absolutely no way you would do that).

Your goal here is to minimize both dexterity and mobility strains resulting from hand movement. My protip here (not that I'm a pro at this game anyways) is to find out how far your hands comfortably reach. Then going from there, you can either increase area/decrease DPI for control purposes (with the corresponding increase in mobility strain) or decrease area/increase DPI for speed purposes (with a corresponding increase in dexterity strain). Again, experimentation only works when you practice with your tablet/mouse so please try getting used to a playstyle rather than constantly changing it (unless you're me who does it for fun).

The reach of your hand movements is also determined by your pen/mouse grip, so factor that as well. Lastly, the physical condition of your hands also plays a role in your overall stamina, so hand workouts might also help.

TL;DR Too large or too small a sensitivity will kill your hands. Optimize, experiment and practice in order to perfect your playstyle.
Those are my overall thoughts on this question. Hope I could help ;)
ZenithPhantasm

Drayyne wrote:

There was FunOrange for example who played with quite high dpi and he still has one of the best scores in th game if it comes down to aim. So as I said, I think you shouldn't go lower if you ca handle higher dpi. But that's just my opinion there
What the hell have you been smoking?
placeholder
Anyone can get used to moving their hand more than comfortable with now. It just takes some getting used to and growing some arm muscles.
uberpancake

Drayyne wrote:

Imo players should pick the highest dpi they can handle. Let's say you can handle 2000 dpi, then I think you shouldn't go lower, because high dpi=less movement=less effort=faster aim. There was FunOrange for example who played with quite high dpi and he still has one of the best scores in th game if it comes down to aim. So as I said, I think you shouldn't go lower if you ca handle higher dpi. But that's just my opinion there
Last I checked didn't funorange play with ~800 dpi on 1920x1080?

Anyway my opinion is that you should play with the lowest sens you can with the aiming style you use. For example if you play witv your wrist then ~1200 is good and if you play with arm somewhere around 600 is fine. Aiming with for example your wrist increases your control and therefore makes it an alright trade-off for increasing your dpi
Drayne

uberpancake wrote:

Drayyne wrote:

Imo players should pick the highest dpi they can handle. Let's say you can handle 2000 dpi, then I think you shouldn't go lower, because high dpi=less movement=less effort=faster aim. There was FunOrange for example who played with quite high dpi and he still has one of the best scores in th game if it comes down to aim. So as I said, I think you shouldn't go lower if you ca handle higher dpi. But that's just my opinion there
Last I checked didn't funorange play with ~800 dpi on 1920x1080?

Anyway my opinion is that you should play with the lowest sens you can with the aiming style you use. For example if you play witv your wrist then ~1200 is good and if you play with arm somewhere around 600 is fine. Aiming with for example your wrist increases your control and therefore makes it an alright trade-off for increasing your dpi
I'm pretty sure his Airman score was with 1800+ dpi

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Drayyne wrote:

There was FunOrange for example who played with quite high dpi and he still has one of the best scores in th game if it comes down to aim. So as I said, I think you shouldn't go lower if you ca handle higher dpi. But that's just my opinion there
What the hell have you been smoking?
What do you mean?
The Gambler
FunOrange plays with low DPI, my friend. Around 750 on a 1920 x 1080 res. It means he plays with a low sensitivity.

OT: Low DPI = better control. High DPI = better speed
ZenithPhantasm

The Gambler wrote:

FunOrange plays with low DPI, my friend. Around 750 on a 1920 x 1080 res. It means he plays with a low sensitivity.

OT: Low DPI = better control. High DPI = better speed
And mid dpi=good balance
Drayne
Sorry, seems like I forgot to quote correctly. But are you guys sure that he used low dpi? In videos on youtube he is almost not moving the mouse
ZenithPhantasm

Taken from his ask.fm
Please sign in to reply.

New reply