forum

Has anyone ever had to change their pen grip?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuudachi-kun
I have not.
pandaBee
I have. Took me months to find a good grip. Just keep trying new ones and playing more.
Vali

As7ro wrote:

The grip that I have been using since I got my tablet in December (writing grip) is starting to destroy my hand.

I am curious if anyone has ever had to change their pen grip after a long period of time and how long it took them to get back to the skill level they were at. I am currently trying to change my grip so my hand isn't rubbing against the tablet and causing discomfort.

I think I found a new grip that I can use but I'm curious what the process of changing grips will be like and how long it will take me to get back to my skill level.
How did you hold it?
I currently hold it under my index and over my middle.
Topic Starter
Ora

Vali wrote:

As7ro wrote:

The grip that I have been using since I got my tablet in December (writing grip) is starting to destroy my hand.

I am curious if anyone has ever had to change their pen grip after a long period of time and how long it took them to get back to the skill level they were at. I am currently trying to change my grip so my hand isn't rubbing against the tablet and causing discomfort.

I think I found a new grip that I can use but I'm curious what the process of changing grips will be like and how long it will take me to get back to my skill level.
How did you hold it?
I currently hold it under my index and over my middle.
I have really big hands so I grip it like G in this picture:

http://www.angmohdan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/othergrips.jpg

The side of my hand rests on the tablet and I am starting to get bruises on that side. I really need to find a different grip if I want to keep playing Osu...
Gumpy

As7ro wrote:

http://www.angmohdan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/othergrips.jpg
I use "A" grip and sometimes "B" when I play.
Saint
Just use the grip you're comfortable to play with I use the grip how Azer holds it, I find it comfortable. :P
ithgyu
I have changed my grip once before. One thing that i found important was not to try to force the grip upon yourself. For instance, say you have the general sorta way you want to hold it, when you pick it up, over time, it will naturally find its way to a grip that is more comfortable. Dont try to resist this, just go with it until you are confident that your grip is the way that you want it to be and natural. That being said it doesnt take long to get used to the grip. Itll probably only take about a week or two.

Kheldragar wrote:

I have not.
10/10 useful post btw
Gumpy

II Jelli II wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I have not.
10/10 useful post btw
He did answer the question of the topic tho.
ithgyu

Gumpyyy wrote:

Well he didn't answer it at all actually. The answer to the question of the topic is"yes people have changed their pen grips" not "i have not" which neither answers the question nor helps
Bcpwd

As7ro wrote:

I have the same grip as you I had the same problem my hand started to hurt a lot I took a one week break I suggest you do the same after that I had no more pain and It has not come back yet for me. The reason why it started to hurt so much is because I played to much without taking breaks

But if rather change grip and you like it than go ahead and do it 8-)
Gigo
Ok, I have never used a tablet before, so excuse my ignorance but... don't all of you hold the tablet pen like you hold a normal fucking pen?! All these threads about finding the right grip... just hold it like a regular pen!
ithgyu
Normal pen grip isn't optimal for a lot of people
E m i
I invented this grip

and it's shit
Yuudachi-kun

II Jelli II wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

Well he didn't answer it at all actually. The answer to the question of the topic is"yes people have changed their pen grips" not "i have not" which neither answers the question nor helps

No, he asked specifically if you had to change your grip.

Then IF YES, a second question.
Mafuuu

As7ro wrote:

I am currently trying to change my grip so my hand isn't rubbing against the tablet and causing discomfort.
Try elevating your hand by prompting your wrist or whatever below the wrist is called on the edge of the tablet. It should give it an acute angle or something. It worked for me when I wanted to keep my current grip instead of changing it.
Kouya-
I try to act all professional like those pro players by trying to grip like them to play better .

It sometimes works, but most of the time I still suck either way .
pandaBee
If you're STILL having troubles with your pen grip, just do this:

Mafuuu
^That is flawed if you sweat easily since the tape slides away but besides that it's a pretty good solution if you don't rely on finger movement too much.
pandaBee

Mafuuu wrote:

^That is flawed if you sweat easily since the tape slides away but besides that it's a pretty good solution if you don't rely on finger movement too much.
More sweat, more tape
trebby
I've only changed my grip once. I really like my current grip, since I'm very accurate with it, and I can snap better. But sometimes I can't move fast with it. And my right middle fingernail is starting to fall off, since I'm constantly dragging it on the tablet (but seriously, it's starting to hurt).

It's fine to change your grip how you wish, just play with whatever feels comfortable to you.
Mayoi Hachikuji
I would say that i change grip quite often. Since i have a tendency to move my tablet. I will then place it on the table again only to forget how it used to be placed. Then ima struggle to find a way to place my hand on the tablet and that usually leads to a new grip! I've had so many different grips now. It's kinda funny to go through my old recordings and watching all the different ways of playing!

Nothing will ever be too comfortable! But at least lotsa grips are close enough.
The Gambler
I'd also say the fulcrum points of your pen grip (the point where you grip your pen; where the pen is being controlled/swung) also counts in reducing pain and influences the reach of a tablet player. The position of your grip's fulcrum point translates to the movement bias towards wrist-controlled movements or finger-controlled movements (whether it's mostly your fingers or your wrist). Check out the difference in people's grips by watching videos/streams online; players like Azer and thelewa hold their pens relatively low and mostly depend on wrist movements while Cookiezi and Reimu have relatively tall fulcrum points with mostly arched hands depending on more finger movements.

Personally, my initial playstyle was similar to Azer's, until 5 star maps came and caused wrist pains. I switched my grip similar to Cookiezi's /Reimu's afterwards and took me a while to relearn. Muscle memory is such a bitch to relearn.

P.S. At least my hands don't hurt anymore
Infevo
Changed my grip some times. But the last time I did it really was messing a lot with my aim because I really got used to my former grip. Since I prefer a small area but didn't want to sacrifice too much aim precision I had to grab the pen much closer to the nib than before. Now I kinda have the benefits of a small area and still a good amount of control over my cursor movement.

Like any other factor in your game this might take a while to find out what's good for you. And it still is likely you'll never know if it is optimal/perfect.
MOONBOUND

Gigo wrote:

just hold it like a regular pen!
The extra pressure you place on the pen for the needed aim can mess up your finger, if you play for long time without a break.
Hiro-Senpai
What have you done m8. The earth will explode now
In addition to necroposting you are trying to be an english rrtyui
N0thingSpecial
I'm pretty sure gigo would love to hear your opinion after a Year
Gigo

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I'm pretty sure gigo would love to hear your opinion after a Year
Well... it's somewhat amusing that he answered me after all this time. :D
Rektango
At 5 months I changed from dragging to hovering, and changed my grip
at 6 months I changed from k1 to k2