forum

Song diversity in osu!

posted
Total Posts

Rap songs in osu!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Man hell yeah ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
31.48%
(╭ರ_•́) Depends on the beat map/song (╭ರ_•́)
48.15%
୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ Rap is an acronym for Retards Attempting Poetry (RAP) ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨
20.37%
Total votes: 54
Topic Starter
Clappy
When I first played this game, I played the same couple of beat maps over and over again because they were only songs I really wanted to play: Look at me now, bom funk mc, turn my swag on, airplanes feint remix, and the hybrid rap-anime song weed circulation finally broke the cycle of me only playing rap songs. I typed "rap" into the beat map search column and was shocked to see less than an entire page of ranked beat maps for the 7+ years of osu!'s existence. I knew that I'd have to find new songs to play cause these select rap songs would 1) get boring 2) not develop me to the "cookiezi" level. So, I drop the rap thing for a while and approach it again once I feel I'm better at the game to map some rap, cause this anime shit is wiggity whack. (I got bars Kappa). Of course, there are a few issues.

1) Rap has a low bpm, so it'll be an easy/normal and quite frankly boring map.

https://jog.fm/workout-songs/at/170/bpm ... c&sort=bpm
https://jog.fm/workout-songs/at/140/bpm ... popularity

Say what now?

Most shocking one I found was Beyonce's Naughty girl at 199 bpm. I've found that bpm of certain songs are mappable and would result in a very interesting map if an experienced mapper were to tinker with them.

2) No one wants to play it

That's fine, no one is raving over MLP glitch remix, but it gets modders/tweakers and eventually ranked. So why can't a rap song get the same treatment?

If a quality rap map is made I feel like it'll fall through the cracks (#time for some shameless plugging)

Anything not made by blue dragon that is, forgot about his worldwide choppers map.

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen
K Camp - Slum Anthem
Lil Wayne feat. Drake - Right Above It
Drake feat. Lil Wayne - I'm Going In <--- best one thus far

I know they're average, but I'm looking to reach out to a few potential modders, tweakers, and mapping teachers to help me make some quality maps as well as teach the foundation of mapping because I find easy/normals/hards much harder to map than insane+. Shoutouts to winber1 for helping get this far.
Nathan
mmm shouldn't this go into beatmap projects?
Topic Starter
Clappy

sukiNathan wrote:

mmm shouldn't this go into beatmap projects?
I guess, not sure really. It was supposed to be a poll with some info behind what I feel.
goatlife
Honestly there should be more songs of every genre in osu! People like to use the excuse of how it's harder to find the bpm of songs if it's not ~anime~. However I'm pretty sure it's just that most of our community and mappers would prefer to have anime songs over any other type of genre. Right now it is hard to find quality maps of different genres other than the classic techno/anime song. Personally I would love to see more rap in osu! Really any other genre would be great because osu! right now is a huge anime/techno song database. If we want more people to play, and we don't want this game to eventually die out, then it's necessary to have a larger diversity of genres become ranked in my opinion. It would make the game more exciting and less dry.

More rap, hip-hop, alternative, rock, pop, and today's most popular songs added into osu! would surely add some "spice" in song selection on this game. It's sad that only a few songs are ranked when it comes to these genres.
Topic Starter
Clappy

goatlife wrote:

Honestly there should be more songs of every genre in osu! People like to use the excuse of how it's harder to find the bpm of songs if it's not ~anime~. However I'm pretty sure it's just that most of our community and mappers would prefer to have anime songs over any other type of genre. Right now it is hard to find quality maps of different genres other than the classic techno/anime song. Personally I would love to see more rap in osu! Really any other genre would be great because osu! right now is a huge anime/techno song database. If we want more people to play, and we don't want this game to eventually die out, then it's necessary to have a larger diversity of genres become ranked in my opinion. It would make the game more exciting and less dry.

More rap, hip-hop, alternative, rock, pop, and today's most popular songs added into osu! would surely add some "spice" in song selection on this game. It's sad that only a few songs are ranked when it comes to these genres.
I've been trying to get some of my friends to play osu! for a while now and they refuse to because they dont like anime songs they said. I was once like them, but once you get a taste of the circle of life, you cant turn back.
neonat
It's simply what the main body of mappers like, and would make maps out of. If there are a lack of maps from other genres, those people who really love those songs are just not making maps out of them.
goatlife

Clappy wrote:

I've been trying to get some of my friends to play osu! for a while now and they refuse to because they dont like anime songs they said. I was once like them, but once you get a taste of the circle of life, you cant turn back.
Exactly my point breh. A person who doesn't like anime songs will most likely not play this game which really does hinder the potential of users we can have playing this game.
I Give Up
OP "song diversity in osu!" *only talks about rap*.

Basically osu needs more of anything BUT anime music. One of the largest user groups are USA and even then there are so few mapping rock/metal, electro-swing, hip-hop, and other popular modern western genres.
Yuudachi-kun
Reprezentuje JP best map 2015
Topic Starter
Clappy

KukiMonster wrote:

OP "song diversity in osu!" *only talks about rap*.
Which sounds better?

Why dere aint no real trap shit for me to click sirculs to? Where my circoc, expensive denim, good weed, and half naked women at when I need em?

OR

There is a lack of song diversity in this game, the one I happen to care about the most is rap.

Take your pick
Yuudachi-kun

Kheldragar wrote:

CLAPPY PLS
Topic Starter
Clappy

Kheldragar wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

CLAPPY PLS
wat
Yuudachi-kun
Kouya-
2nd choice .
Topic Starter
Clappy

Kheldragar wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/252607
holy sht, its amazing
Yuudachi-kun

Clappy wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/252607
holy sht, its amazing
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/240449
Topic Starter
Clappy

Kheldragar wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/240449

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Nig de ma of coffey ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Yuudachi-kun
Topic Starter
Clappy

Kheldragar wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/622407
HOW IS THIS NOT RANKED?!
Topic Starter
Clappy
Furthermore, most people will just blow off a map, say it's shit, or say, " It's clappy again with another shitty trap map" which is also discouraging. They don't even give the map a chance.
Endaris
The song diversity isn't even that bad.
Sure you got an awful lot of J-Pop and Touhou(the latter isn't as annoying as the former though) but for other music the mappers are just too lazy or not creative enough to give them tags to be found.
I'd suggest you to download all the beatmap packs and work through everything by title. It's pretty fast if you skip everything you don't like and you'll find quite some stuff you wouldnt have found otherwise.