forum

How do you play HR?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuudachi-kun

Narrill wrote:

You don't just retry over and over until chance lets you FC something, you make a concerted effort to hit all the notes and eventually succeed because, through intense concentration and willpower, you managed to do a slightly better job of hitting all the notes.
That's actually what I call luck if there's a pattern I cannot do consistently but just one time I happened to do for an fc.
Mahogany

Narrill wrote:

There's literally never a need to reduce an endgame playstyle to that sort of tagline because no player who actually participates in that endgame sees it that way..
What about for the benefit of the people who don't participate in the endgame? People exist before the top 1k, you know.

Narrill wrote:

I know why you said it, but the two aren't the same. You don't just retry over and over until chance lets you FC something, you make a concerted effort to hit all the notes and eventually succeed because, through intense concentration and willpower, you managed to do a slightly better job of hitting all the notes
Yeah, you get a lucky run where you didn't miss. Your skills stayed the same throughout but the outcome was different each time.

Narrill wrote:

There is very little chance present in an FC.
dude, I couldn't just do my top rank on demand. I don't know what you call that, but I call that a lucky run.

Regardless thanks for sharing actual thoughts instead of just saying I'm wrong.
Endaris

Mahoganytooth wrote:

dude, I couldn't just do my top rank on demand. I don't know what you call that, but I call that a lucky run.
That depends severely on the map though. I don't have a problem with fc'ing Dadai within a few tries but there are some of my top ranks of lower star diff(3,5ish) that I find noticeably harder to re-fc(I even gave up on some of them when i tried to improve my acc) maybe cause they have specific patterns that are harder for me than jumptriplespam.

On the same page:
When you're sightreading a map that is hard for you you tend to do very well sometimes and turn out to make a play that's almost a fc. Then you want to nail it, try again and fail miserably. That's pretty much the same thing as Narrill mentioned. In the first case you weren't caring what's happening you just focused on every circle approaching you and played it to the best of your spontaneous ability. After that you're playing with another objective AND you're actually noticing how hard the map was and which parts were difficult in particular. That's the same kind of a change of mental state as the DT-player has when he finally scores that "lucky play". Yes, you can say that it's "by chance" but you have no way to prove that the player is unable to summon his A-game either - in any case the player is capable of doing the fc with his A-game.
Mahogany
3.5 stars is like AR8 though so of course its harder.

If people were able to summon their A-game on demand then they'd always be able to FC on the second try or so. Not take upwards of 30 attempts to get the FC.
nrl

Mahoganytooth wrote:

What about for the benefit of the people who don't participate in the endgame? People exist before the top 1k, you know.
What's the benefit? Lower-ranked players can just start playing mods, and eventually they'll stick with the ones they like.

The point is that the taglines fail to give an indication of what the endgame is actually like. "Short bursts of intense difficulty" isn't accurate because to a real DT player they aren't short bursts of intense difficulty, they're just normal maps. The tagline isn't a descriptor, it's an irrelevant caricature that succeeds only in describing what the endgame looks like to those who aren't a part of it. What purpose does that serve?

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Yeah, you get a lucky run where you didn't miss. Your skills stayed the same throughout but the outcome was different each time.
But it isn't luck, you just played better that run for reasons that are complex but almost entirely under your control. You can't just throw retries at a map and expect to FC it, you have to have that special run where you actually played better.

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Regardless thanks for sharing actual thoughts instead of just saying I'm wrong.
Same to you.
Endaris

Mahoganytooth wrote:

3.5 stars is like AR8 though so of course its harder.

If people were able to summon their A-game on demand then they'd always be able to FC on the second try or so. Not take upwards of 30 attempts to get the FC.
That's because most people aren't good with self-manipulation.
And AR8 shouldn't be harder to fc for me cause it's what I'm playing the majority of the time and there are enough AR8 maps I can fc over and over again.
Yuudachi-kun
I've thrown retries at maps just to have that special run - see all of my top 30. All other things equal (mood etc.) it seems like that run appears once every while with a small percent chance of happening - that's why I think it's luck.
Mahogany

Narrill wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

What's the benefit? Lower-ranked players can just start playing mods, and eventually they'll stick with the ones they like.
Mid-level DT is completely different from high-level DT, though. Mid-level DT is just hards and easy insanes with ridiculously easy patterns. DTing 3-4 star maps is a completely different from DTing 4.5-5.3* maps. HR? Idk. I don't play HR. Yet.

Narrill wrote:

But it isn't luck, you just played better that run for reasons that are complex but almost entirely under your control. You can't just throw retries at a map and expect to FC it, you have to have that special run where you actually played better.
Personally, I call that luck. I'll agree to disagree with you on that.
nrl

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Mid-level DT is completely different from high-level DT, though. Mid-level DT is just hards and easy insanes with ridiculously easy patterns. DTing 3-4 star maps is a completely different from DTing 4.5-5.3* maps.
That's not a categorical distinction though, there's nothing fundamentally different between the two. I don't know how else to say it. You might need to be better at certain things to play one or the other, but the manner in which you play isn't different.
Mahogany
There's no fundamental difference at any level of osu!. You're literally just clicking circles no matter how good you are.

Mid level DT and High level DT are completely different. Most DT maps I've seen at my level are either "Singletap really fast basic stuff and there might be a triple or two" or "this is a collection of jumps" And they tend to be like 120-150bpm nomod, and you're guaranteed not to run into streams at all.
DT stuff at my level is literally just average speed nomod stuff.

Meanwhile DT pros have to do stuff like 270bpm jumps and streams, playing maps that are around 180bpm nomod. You don't find many 270 nomod maps.
Yuudachi-kun
The category is DT hards/easy insanes vs hard insanes/extras
nrl

Mahoganytooth wrote:

There's no fundamental difference at any level of osu!.
So you agree with me then.
E m i
medium rank (4 digit range) DT aim farm maps: 180-220 bpm
medium-high rank (3 digit range) DT aim farm maps: 212-245 bpm
high rank (2 digit range) DT aim farm maps: 220-255 bpm
top rank (you know) DT aim farm maps: 234-277.5 bpm

Kheldragar wrote:

DT hards
no one does that for pp because 255-300bpm on 4-5 stars is too hard for the pp it gives 8-)
Mahogany

Narrill wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

There's no fundamental difference at any level of osu!.
So you agree with me then.
No, because you're saying that there's no real difference between mid-level DT and high-level DT.
-Makishima S-
there's nothing fundamentally different between the two.
When you FC Eien Friends DT as easy as some crap 4* "easy insane" (let's say for example Koigokoro) then you have a point. Until then, there is a HUGE diffrence betwin high level DT and mid level DT. It's almost same diffrence as with HR. But HR might be in some cases harder.

I think there are maps which can be cleared by human with DT but cannot be cleared with HR. I might be wrong tho, didnt went into high level HR plays, stopped at ar9.1 od8 max.
nrl
Guys, do you have any idea what the word fundamental means?
E m i
naril is rite
you play everything with my pro reaction time11!!!!11!11
ZenithPhantasm

Faces3 wrote:

Become AR11 man already
Yuudachi-kun
PROGRESS

Ohwait more singletap maps
felicitousname

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Nobody can consistently FC the highest level DT maps. That's why I said "lucky"
rrtyui fc'd remote control dthd like something like 4 times within 45 minutes. How lucky does that seem to you?

http://puu.sh/gp4TC/738f0d0992.jpg
Deva

felicitousname wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Nobody can consistently FC the highest level DT maps. That's why I said "lucky"
rrtyui fc'd remote control dthd like something like 4 times within 45 minutes. How lucky does that seem to you?

ruruchi is an alien so that doesnt count
Mahogany

HK_ wrote:

felicitousname wrote:

ruruchi is an alien so that doesnt count
^

Besides RC is one of those dumber DT maps where there are 3 massive difficulty spikes and the rest of the map is relatively easy.
Deva

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Besides RC is one of those dumber DT maps where there are 3 massive difficulty spikes and the rest of the map is relatively easy.
But you cant FC it, can you?
Then dont say the word "easy".
Endaris

HK_ wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Qualified reading implies that he said that the map is easy to FC if you can play the map outside from the difficulty spikes with very high consistency.
Not that it is easy in general but compared to other maps of the same star rating, meaning that it is overrated.
Yuudachi-kun
My top rank is overweighted. x700 with 97% and two misses is 200pp.
Deva

Endaris wrote:

Not that it is easy in general but compared to other maps of the same star rating, meaning that it is overrated.
I agree with what you said but that is absolutely not what he said. Maybe he meant it but unfortunately im not able to read minds.
Endaris

HK_ wrote:

Endaris wrote:

I agree with what you said but that is absolutely not what he said. Maybe he meant it but unfortunately im not able to read minds.
You should play RC then.
Because it's an easy map. I can pass it every single time even though it's more than 1 star above what I'm usually playing and I can even develop a good combo on it. As the only parameter that gets changed with DT is the speed, the part are easy imo will also be easy with DT for a better player.
Unless limited by reading AR 10.3 I'm pretty sure that Mahogany could get a solid result with good consistency.
E m i

buny wrote:

Why does every thread end up having someone post a score that nobody cares about?
yes remote control is izi : ) ^

nomod 9 misses, i'll never fc it :D
Yuudachi-kun
I remember I one missed it 83% like 4 months ago :^)

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Faces3 wrote:

Become AR11 man already
ok ill see u in da top50 of daidai
The Gambler
Before this gets derailed, I'd like to point out the editor function as well. You're 50k and have no need for pp, right?

Just flip the map vertically, set the AR to 10 and set CS to 5.2. Don't crank the OD unless you have to. Then grind.
Rinse and repeat 8-)

drum drum, it's time.
woqx

dagambler999 wrote:

Just flip the map vertically, set the AR to 10 and set CS to 5.2. Don't crank the OD unless you have to. Then grind.
Rinse and repeat 8-)
But why would anyone do this, you can just use HR+NF instead and not waste your time editing every single map.
The Gambler

woqx wrote:

But why would anyone do this, you can just use HR+NF instead and not waste your time editing every single map.
Just throwing it in. OP doesn't need to follow it, I'm just offering a more stealthy (edited maps are unranked maps obv) and flexible solution. He could even put CS7 and OD10 if OP wanted. Not necessarily more convenient, but nevertheless flexible.

I know I do it (hence my incredulous rank decay) but hey, we pass by our days with our own ways, right?
-Makishima S-
Editor is good to cut down ceratin parts of song and train them (like i do for example with weird spaced streams / star or square jumps).
Why you should even care about your ranking and getting C/B with NF?
If you actualy plan to play HR, you should train it.
If you practice enough, put effort and for sure - like this playstyle - your C HR+NF will turn into A/S HR (or even HDHR).

http://ask.fm/indexosu
If you search closely, you will find usefull tips about HR. Exept normal "ask.fm" bullshit, there are interesting questions with good answers, you just need to spend a bit time and find them.
ZenithPhantasm

Faces3 wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Become AR11 man already
ok ill see u in da top50 of daidai
okm8
Mahogany

HK_ wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

ffs

Endaris wrote:

Qualified reading implies that he said that the map is easy to FC if you can play the map outside from the difficulty spikes with very high consistency.
Thank you, god...