forum

My Quest: An Osu! Arcade Machine

posted
Total Posts
show more
Remco32

zorathan wrote:

and it will be sold at around $7,000 either at an online retailer or arcade.
Have you even contacted peppy about this? Since you're planning to make a profit out of osu!
Shohei Ohtani
Just also adding, if you're going to sell this, there might be some legal issues because of copyright laws with music ;D (and with inis, because you're making a profit based on their game, probably without their permission).
Mashley

CDFA wrote:

(and with inis, because you're making a profit based on their game, probably without their permission).
Haven't you seen all the oendan clones on DS?
Topic Starter
zorathan

Remco32 wrote:

zorathan wrote:

and it will be sold at around $7,000 either at an online retailer or arcade.
Have you even contacted peppy about this? Since you're planning to make a profit out of osu!
I'm making the profit off of what I put my time and money into, I could use any other open source free game. I may even keep the machine for personal use.
Daru
osu! isn't open source
Topic Starter
zorathan

Daru wrote:

All in all, because of this, a Wacom for the touch input would be putting your money in the wrong place -- you'll be paying for sensitivity for pressure, barrel rotation, tilt, and in Wacom's enhanced pen detection, none of which would really matter when playing osu!. I would say that a multi-touch display would be the best option here, perhaps a DIY one.
Thank you for your advice. I was thinking that the big tablet would've been nice for the game. I've also heard that it is easy to make a touch display/pad.
Shohei Ohtani

Agent Spin Here wrote:

CDFA wrote:

(and with inis, because you're making a profit based on their game, probably without their permission).
Haven't you seen all the oendan clones on DS?
All I've seen are EBA and Oudean.
mm201
Natteke
Pokebis
I actually think a USB port for user songs would be a good idea. In The Groove 2 had a similar thing that added a lot of possibilities. Maybe someone who doesn't want to get their map ranked or the machine isn't regularly updated want to show their friends their maps or something.
But, yeah, if you really do plan on selling this make sure you're up to date on your legal status, especially copyrighted content such as songs. I'm not sure on this, but I think even mappers here may be able to sue you for distributing their map because they only gave this site and mediafire rights to it (unless some terms I haven't read state otherwise), I'm unsure. All that aside, I doubt anyone here would persecute you.
INIS can't do crap about osu! so don't worry about them. peppy can, I doubt he'll give you problems, but he's worth a worry. If you want to actually sell this as a project you'll need licensed songs or at least songs under a specific kind of distributable copyright license.
All of this is null of course if you plan on keeping it for personal use.
Good luck.
Ph0X
So what if it's "free".

It's like taking free copies of Ubuntu and selling them. It's illegal unless you have a deal with the person who made it.
So contact peppy instead of being a stubborn fuck.
Daru
Allowing songs to be loaded and played from a flash drive is probably the best way to go with this, especially considering the legal ramifications of actually selling this. It would mean you don't have to worry /that/ much about getting tons of songs on the machine, since people who care about the songs that aren't included will know the actual osu! game and will probably stick songs on a flash drive, while people who don't won't be any the wiser.

Also, Ph0x, that isn't a good analogy -- people install Linux on machines that they build to sell, which is actually pretty similar to what he's doing here. Of course, peppy should still be involved in this if you're going to do anything beyond use this for personal use, if not to have the blessings of the original creator of the game, but for the help that he can provide if you are serious about this.
Ph0X
That has to be the worst analogy ever. The person could have easily install linux himself, he isn't paying money for the OS, he's paying for the HARDWARE that he's getting.

Here, people are paying to play OSU!, which is a free game. The money is made FROM osu! which is a product made by peppy.
Daru
Oh yeah.

I forgot how arcades worked for a second there. :P Ignore what I said before.
Loginer

Ph0X wrote:

It's like taking free copies of Ubuntu and selling them. It's illegal unless you have a deal with the person who made it.
I see you have no idea what free software is.

[quote="http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/":63be2]Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible — just enough to cover the cost. This is a misunderstanding.

Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

The word “free” has two legitimate general meanings; it can refer either to freedom or to price. When we speak of “free software”, we're talking about freedom, not price. (Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”.) Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, change the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes.

Free programs are sometimes distributed gratis, and sometimes for a substantial price. Often the same program is available in both ways from different places. The program is free regardless of the price, because users have freedom in using it.

Nonfree programs are usually sold for a high price, but sometimes a store will give you a copy at no charge. That doesn't make it free software, though. Price or no price, the program is nonfree because users don't have freedom.

Since free software is not a matter of price, a low price doesn't make the software free, or even closer to free. So if you are redistributing copies of free software, you might as well charge a substantial fee and make some money. Redistributing free software is a good and legitimate activity; if you do it, you might as well make a profit from it.

Free software is a community project, and everyone who depends on it ought to look for ways to contribute to building the community. For a distributor, the way to do this is to give a part of the profit to free software development projects or to the Free Software Foundation. This way you can advance the world of free software.Still, Ph0X does have a point if you replace "Ubuntu" with nonfree software. Ask peppy for permission first; he probably won't try to sue you if you sell the machine (which would still be a bad idea for other reasons), but it would definitely help if you had his sanction...

zorathan wrote:

The machine will feature a modified release of Osu! which will have no login system, no exit, and an insert coin message at the opening screen. There will be no downloading on this machine, if you want more beatmaps you need to add them manually into the game.
...because osu! is closed source. However, peppy's already made an arcade version of the game for a machine of his own. If you get his approval and ask real nicely, he might even give you a copy of it.
Ph0X
By deal, I meant authorization. And yes I know about free beer/speech.
Loginer

Ph0X wrote:

By deal, I meant authorization. And yes I know about free beer/speech.
Then you'd know replacing "deal" with "authorization" changes nothing. You don't need any permission whatsoever to sell copies of Ubuntu, you have the right to do so.
peppy

CDFA wrote:

Just also adding, if you're going to sell this, there might be some legal issues because of copyright laws with music ;D (and with inis, because you're making a profit based on their game, probably without their permission).
And me. Remember, osu! is made by me, not inis?

zorathan wrote:

and it will be sold at around $7,000 either at an online retailer or arcade. I'm making the profit off of what I put my time and money into, I could use any other open source free game. I may even keep the machine for personal use.
You can't use it without my permission for your own profit. You can't modify it without my permission. You can't *sell* osu! without my permission. Putting aside the fact I have made a loss on osu! financially and spent well over 5000 hours in development and maintenance hours, I believe you are going about this with a very bad attitude.

osu! is free to play, not to exploit.

I suggest you get in contact with me or cease and desist.
oddysea682
I think its a cool idea
but if it was in an actual arcade then I have a feeling that people will break things up but still that would be cool
Topic Starter
zorathan

peppy wrote:

CDFA wrote:

And me. Remember, osu! is made by me, not inis?

zorathan wrote:

and it will be sold at around $7,000 either at an online retailer or arcade. I'm making the profit off of what I put my time and money into, I could use any other open source free game. I may even keep the machine for personal use.
You can't use it without my permission for your own profit. You can't modify it without my permission. You can't *sell* osu! without my permission. Putting aside the fact I have made a loss on osu! financially and spent well over 5000 hours in development and maintenance hours, I believe you are going about this with a very bad attitude.

osu! is free to play, not to exploit.

I suggest you get in contact with me or cease and desist.
Hey, Peppy.

This is all so very confusing. Of course, I will not sell your product without your permission, that would be just wrong.
I am still trying to figure out how all of this would work, and after thinking it all through and documenting it, I will contact you about the modifying and the selling of your product.
Like I said before, I may use it for personal use only, and knowing me... May means most likely.

I don't want to contact you about all of these legal issues and things of that nature without knowing for sure if the project is even do-able.
Once I get through the planning process, and if I am still going through with this, I shall contact you about using your game.

I don't want you to think I would have done something like this without consulting the creator of the marvelous game first! (:
5TEV3N
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23392
A osu!arcade machine is already made:

except it called dj max technika :P
nvm -.-