forum

Accuracy on 1/4 Notes?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Insyni
I've been practicing 1/4 notes for a while now (stacks/ streams) and I find myself getting random 100s while hitting them regardless of the song difficulty. As a result, if there is a song with a large amount of 1/4 notes I can go from having 97% accuracy on one trial down to 87% in the next trial.

In order to prevent developing poor habits (or fixing bad habits), does anyone have any tips for practicing 1/4 notes? :?

(Side note) Playing more can have negative consequences if you play-more poorly.
Barusamikosu
Turn up effects volume to 100%. Make sure your hitsounds have an equal interval when tapping. Watch your error bar.

And play more. :D
pandaBee
There are a lot of good 3* stream maps here t/330775
Barusamikosu

pandaBee wrote:

Please panpan this will turn into another drama thread. :^)
E m i
you know, i've seen (especially heard by hitsounds) that people seem to treat every triple/stack/stream as a single object/event. they start streaming at the right moment but then, they only care about the amount of times they have to click. this is especially true on doubles, where the keys are pressed nearly simultaneously.

on 1/4 notes, the intervals between them are halved, but since you're using two fingers, it's like you're tapping 1/2 with each of them - by listening to the hitsounds you can make sure that you're streaming at the right speed.

also, i assign additional importance to every fourth note in a stream, concentrate on it and use it as a reference point to make sure my timing is not off.
pandaBee
That's easier said than done, mommy.
Topic Starter
Insyni

Barusamikosu wrote:

Turn up effects volume to 100%. Make sure your hitsounds have an equal interval when tapping. Watch your error bar.

And play more. :D
Effects are already at 100%.

As for the error bar, do you just watch it during replays? From what I see it is mostly in the center then it jumps out to the green zone for like 3 notes and then back into the blue.

Not sure what I'm doing to make this happen.
Topic Starter
Insyni

pandaBee wrote:

That's easier said than done, mommy.
I think Momiji's advice is very helpful. It's a good thing to practice/aim for.

Also, I'll look at those maps.

[ Momiji ] wrote:

you know, i've seen (especially heard by hitsounds) that people seem to treat every triple/stack/stream as a single object/event. they start streaming at the right moment but then, they only care about the amount of times they have to click. this is especially true on doubles, where the keys are pressed nearly simultaneously..
Exactly what I do... x.x

Though it also happens when there are only 3-5 notes. So I'm not sure if every 4th note would be enough. It makes sense though because if you can read something you should be able to read it at least in half notes.

pandaBee wrote:

Protip: we have an edit function for posts.
I know, this post was just a mistake. :)

pandaBee wrote:

*shivers* I was just starting to forget how to read ar8 so I could focus on ar9. I'll try though!
pandaBee
Protip: we have an edit function for posts.
E m i

Insyni wrote:

Though it also happens when there are only 3-5 notes. So I'm not sure if every 4th note would be enough. It makes sense though because if you can read something you should be able to read it at least in half notes.
well, on triples you just concentrate on the first note :P (i meant 1, 5, 9, ...)
and if there are 5 notes, on first and last.
Purple
The "jump from blue to green, then back to blue" sounds really odd, if it is really a sudden jump in timing. If something like that happens I feel like you should definitely know it on your fingers. Also, nobody does 97% then retries and gets 87% unless you purposedly miss notes or something.. that's not normal.
Yuudachi-kun

Purple wrote:

The "jump from blue to green, then back to blue" sounds really odd, if it is really a sudden jump in timing. If something like that happens I feel like you should definitely know it on your fingers. Also, nobody does 97% then retries and gets 87% unless you purposedly miss notes or something.. that's not normal.
I've done this on Fallen world, but it was 96% then 88%.
Topic Starter
Insyni

Purple wrote:

If you hit streams perfectly vs when you get 100's on all the notes in the stream. Huge difference in score, especially if it happens multiple times.

pandaBee wrote:

Also, these are pretty nice, ty!
E m i

Purple wrote:

nobody does 97% then retries and gets 87% unless you purposedly miss notes or something.. that's not normal.
<3
Purple
If that happens I'm guessing it's because of problems with finger control, the common issue where your fingers gets "stuck" for a few miliseconds in the middle of a stream.
E m i
because of misses
Purple
What happens to me a lot is that I misread the space between the start of a stream and the note before. When a weird jump in the error bar happens in the middle of a stream, it's either because my fingers are being lazy and locking up or because of bad mech keyswitches

Anyway just don't automatically assume it's your sense of timing what is hindering you, it could be many other things
lolcubes

Purple wrote:

because of bad mech keyswitches
People are so spoiled nowadays. :)
Topic Starter
Insyni

Purple wrote:

Anyway just don't automatically assume it's your sense of timing what is hindering you, it could be many other things
*assumes it is timing anyways* I don't think I have rhythm sense, so trying not to get into bad habits. (from watching replays I think I speed up at the start and then slow down and then normalize then slow down again then speed up too much etc)

lolcubes wrote:

Purple wrote:

*pets rubber dome keyboard*

Another question: Would it be better to stick with the same AR while practicing these, or is it better to vary the AR?
ZenithPhantasm

lolcubes wrote:

Purple wrote:

You do realize people work for their money and they have the right to spend it as they please. Ofc a person who can't earn his own would never understand :)
pandaBee

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You do realize people work for their money and they have the right to spend it as they please. Ofc a person who can't earn his own would never understand :)
It would be weird if a 29 yo didn't.
Fatal3ty
It took me a long time there, neatly to stream and triples to use. Eighth please on the first Approach Circle and start it too early, then come out only 100 or worse. Press evenly and always look at the replay (hit-error!) So I came up. :D

How to practice 3-Stream I there when Approach rate is for me too slow? I'm starting to have 4.2-4.5 star, with success. ;)
I Give Up
Play lots of streams without thinking. Just focus on circle and feel rhythm. Practice every day for a very long time. Believe.
lolcubes

pandaBee wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

It would be weird if a 29 yo didn't.
Indeed it would. I am spending my money as I please, which does include a mech kb. :p

My point was, you really don't need any of the top end hardware to be good at this game. It does help, but not as much as you may think. Just getting a mech kb won't magically increase your accuracy or make you play that much better (it depends on what you have currently the most though). It will feel more pleasing at least, and past a certain point will enable you to hit things better.
Generally, it's more about *you* instead, not the keyboard.

The topic is about 1/4 notes and the accuracy on them. Easily achievable with more practice and developing better muscle. You don't need a 100€ keyboard to be able to play them, trust me.