forum

Inconsistencies when playing with a mouse.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_3905941
Hey there. Recently I've been using a mouse to play osu! due to 'reasons'.
I've used a tablet for pretty much the entire time I've been playing, so my aim was built up with a tablet.
I'm really inconsistent with a mouse. Sometimes on a map I can aim perfectly on the notes, yet on others I'm either underaiming/overaiming (If that makes sense) I've never had this problem when using a graphics tablet.
My mouse: Old gen G400.
Grip: Fingertip.
Mousepad: None.

I'm not sure if play more would apply to this, but can anyone please give me some tips or w/e. Thanks.
ZenithPhantasm
Use a mousepad. You need a consistent surface for consistent aim.Cookiezi skin is overrated
GoldenWolf
Mouse pad and practice/play more.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_3905941
Any recommendations for a mousepad? I've never really used one for a game that needs aim, and hearing about the hard and soft mousepads with mice that work well/bad on it was confusing to me and made me stay away.
ZenithPhantasm
For cloth: Steelseries Qck
For hardpad: Steelseries 4HD, Logitech G440
For hybrid: Roccat Hiro
usa
I went from mouse ~3 months to tablet ~9 months to mouse again.
Problem with transitioning back to mouse was that my skill was far ahead of my mouse aim from when I first switched to tablet.
It took around ~6 months to grind my aim and consistency back to tablet level.
Be realistic, you are not going to get your aim back anytime soon.

You have to work your way up with muscle memory so literally play the same sequence of maps you did as you got better with tablet.
Also get a mouse pad, MarkC mouse accel fix, consistent windows pointer speed, disable "Enhance Pointer Precision," 1x sens in osu! preferable, enable Raw Input, comfortable dpi, etc. etc.
Yuudachi-kun

usa wrote:

Problem with transitioning back to mouse was that my skill was far ahead of my mouse aim from when I first switched to tablet.
But why
ZenithPhantasm

usa wrote:

And this is why I didn't switch to tablet despite purchasing one.

Kheldragar wrote:

But why
Because mouse is arguably more useful outside of osu!
uberpancake
Now for the important questions. Why does your top plays list look so damn suspicious?
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

usa wrote:

And this is why I didn't switch to tablet despite purchasing one.

Kheldragar wrote:

But why
If you're playing osu to get better at other games, you should just stop playing osu.
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

If you're playing osu to get better at other games, you should just stop playing osu.
It helps atleast for me it does
Also I like animu music 8-)
usa

Kheldragar wrote:

But why

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

^
eeezzzeee
Rather than inconsistency, its probably just not being as good aiming with mouse compared to tablet due to less practice. The video looks perfectly normal to me
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_3905941

usa wrote:

You have to work your way up with muscle memory so literally play the same sequence of maps you did as you got better with tablet.
Also get a mouse pad, MarkC mouse accel fix, consistent windows pointer speed, disable "Enhance Pointer Precision," 1x sens in osu! preferable, enable Raw Input, comfortable dpi, etc. etc.
This actually makes perfect sense for me. I don't know why, but I always thought my tablet aim would be 1 to 1 when switching to a mouse.
I would imagine a mousepad will help me as well, but I was wondering about my mouse I'm using. My friend says its bad because it's made before new g400 precision fix (or something along those lines). Would getting a new mouse also help in more intense aiming maps?

uberpancake wrote:

Now for the important questions. Why does your top plays list look so damn suspicious?
I don't play for pp.
Yuudachi-kun
"I'm just an offline player"
usa
I'm pretty sure g400 is a really good mouse, but about revision model differences I'm not sure.
You can always refer back to this old pic and google the issue.
Also, just get any mouse pad because all you really need is an even trackable surface for your mouse.

Zaruhohl

Kheldragar wrote:

usa wrote:

But why
Not him but I had to switch to mouse from tablet. I got tenosynovitis on my right thumb and it made playing with a tablet painful.
ZenithPhantasm

usa wrote:

I'm pretty sure g400 is a really good mouse, but about revision model differences I'm not sure.
You can always refer back to this old pic and google the issue.
Also, just get any mouse pad because all you really need is an even trackable surface for your mouse.

Outdated list. It contains none of the 2014 and 2015 mice.
GoldenWolf
Well yeah it's a list from 7 June 2013. It's been 2 years now. Time to update it or go home.
Yuudachi-kun

GoldenWolf wrote:

Well yeah it's a list from 7 June 2013. It's been 2 years now. Time to update it or go home.
I don't see how this magically makes those mice bad.
GoldenWolf
That was not the point at all. It's like telling me your sister can't fly because the postman sneezed in front of your door.

In 2 years a lot of new mices have been made, and it'd be good to finally update this tier list with them.
Yuudachi-kun

GoldenWolf wrote:

That was not the point at all. It's like telling me your sister can't fly because the postman sneezed in front of your door.

In 2 years a lot of new mices have been made, and it'd be good to finally update this tier list with them.
But that won't invalidate how (I am assuming) good the god tier mice on this list are?
GoldenWolf
Because in 2 years you wouldn't think they made better mices?
Yuudachi-kun

GoldenWolf wrote:

Because in 2 years you wouldn't think they made better mices?
There could be, but that's no reason to imply that the good ones they made before are bad and you should ignore them.
GoldenWolf
I'd think a good amount of them aren't even being sold anymore, in which case this tier list is a bit obsolete
ZenithPhantasm
There are vastly superior mice now.
The Gambler
Well, the only way to get 1:1 aim is a consistent grip, which only happens through PRACTICE.

Or you can do the weeb thing I did and:

Srsly though, for a mousepad I'd recommend a QCK. They are also in both the vids and I love them to death.
I Give Up
Who needs a mousepad?
The Gambler

KukiMonster wrote:

Who needs a mousepad?
Friction purposes, unless you want to cheap out with a piece of paper (which I've done before but kept breaking) or you want to sandblast your own piece of aluminium/plastic. IMO clear coats don't last long even if the finish gives you good friction, and good frosted glass is hard to come by these days (Either a faux finish or prohibitively expensive).
ZenithPhantasm

dagambler999 wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

Who needs a mousepad?
Friction purposes, unless you want to cheap out with a piece of paper (which I've done before but kept breaking) or you want to sandblast your own piece of aluminium/plastic. IMO clear coats don't last long even if the finish gives you good friction, and good frosted glass is hard to come by these days (Either a faux finish or prohibitively expensive).
Never forget Icemat
dung eater
if you have fine sandpaper (fine for the finish) and a sheet of almost any sheet of metal that can be gud, too, if you like smooth (hands do stick to smooth really well, so it might not be good for low sens ,_,)
The Gambler

jaaakb wrote:

if you have fine sandpaper (fine for the finish) and a sheet of almost any sheet of metal that can be gud, too, if you like smooth (hands do stick to smooth really well, so it might not be good for low sens ,_,)
Sandpaper is worse for your mouse even with fine grit for two reasons. Firstly, it's gonna eat mouse feet faster than the Manticor ever will as it is designed to be abrasive. Lastly, sandpaper accumulates gunk in the heavily used spots - a characteristic of sandpaper, so you will get really inconsistent glide.

Now if we're talking brushed metal finishes with sandpaper, you will get glide bias in the direction of the grain (check out Mad Catz G.L.I.D.E. 9) of the finish. This means that you will get the least friction parallel to the direction of the grain and the most perpendicular to it. Only way to get even surface is to sandblast your preferred surface.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Never forget Icemat
Who even sells a mint Icemat nowadays? Besides, I loved my SteelSeries SX before I broke it while moving to my new house.