forum

Wrist pain?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Antiforte
I've been playing osu! for almost 8 months (total non-break days) now.

Recently (starting a few weeks ago), my left wrist gets painful when I exert force on areas close to, or itself like whenever I stream a lot or when I just turn it. The pain occurs on the pinky side (left side, hand faced down).

I am unsure of what this possibly is. I have performed Phalen's test (70% accurate CTS test), with negative results. There is no pain, numbness, or "pins and needles" sensation in my fingers. Did I just tear something, or could it be worse?

My left hand is positioned on the keyboard, and my hand faces down, with my wrist sitting on the raised edge of a retractable platform.
pandaBee
If it hurts, stop playing osu and go see a doctor.
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
Jk play less before RSI-sama comes for you
Illkryn
play in a more healthy fashion
usa
what is break and rest
Topic Starter
Antiforte

usa wrote:

what is break and rest
i dunno lol :P
7ambda
RSI is showing its face at your doorstep.
Bauxe

F1r3tar wrote:

RSI is showing its face at your doorstep.
You will find that 98% of osu! players think that any kind of pain in their hand means they have RSI.

These people are morons.
B1rd

Bauxe wrote:

You will find that 98% of osu! players think that any kind of pain in their hand means they have RSI.

These people are morons.
"A repetitive strain injury is an "injury to the musculoskeletal and nervous systems that may be caused by repetitive tasks, forceful exertions, vibrations, mechanical compression, or sustained or awkward positions."

They would be correct.
7ambda

Bauxe wrote:

These people are morons.
*Sigh*

peppy
Take breaks; use your hands for other things apart from osu!; wiggle your fingers while waiting for the map to load; stress less while playing.
Oddwel

peppy wrote:

stress less while playing.
This seems obvious. But it's actually not natural at all. I need to keep it in mind at all times I play to avoid shoulder pains (and I sometimes fail to do so).

But yeah. When it hurts, stop playing and do something else :)
Bauxe

F1r3tar wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

These people are morons.
*Sigh*

Pain isn't always an injury.
ZenithPhantasm
Play less
7ambda

Bauxe wrote:

Pain isn't always an injury.
In terms of osu!, it is. This game forces most people to do repetitive hand/wrist tasks. According to Wikipedia, RSI is an injury to the muscular and/or skeletal system caused by repetitive tasks and/or physical exertions. Because all these types of threads that I've seen are caused by repetitive and forceful exertions (have you seen an injury thread where the cause wasn't by playing osu?), an injury in this case is classified as RSI.

RSI isn't just a long term consequence, it can be short term that worsens if strained further.

Example
Azer (long term)
[-Haqua-] (short term)
Yuudachi-kun
Yes, an injury is classified as RSI, but SIMPLE PAIN is not.
EtienneXC
I may not be a standard player but as a o!m player, it's extremely important to take breaks. Mentally and physically, breaks sometimes even help tbh. Playing every day is probably the worst thing you can do if you do so for so long. If you still want to play, just play easier maps until your wrist feels better. Can't stress that enough (no pun intended)
B1rd
An injury is any sort of biological damage. And an injury cause from a repetitive task is RSI. Unless it's psychological pain, or just worn out muscles, it could be labeled RSI.
Bauxe
Pretty sure in most cases the pain is caused by muscle fatigue. That's why most people who claim they have RSI are back and playing better than ever after a 2 day break.
dung eater
There are no muscles in the wrist afaik. OP was complaining about wrist pain.
Nyxa
I used to have a similar pain. Try placing a towel or some other kind of soft cushion that isn't too thick under your keyboard to rest your wrist on. There's a good chance that it comes from pressing your wrist against the table too hard while playing and using a soft cushion would dampen the strain while allowing you to exert the same amount of pressure.
Topic Starter
Antiforte
Welp, thanks for all the sometimes obvious advice. I've been off osu! for about 3 days now, it doesn't hurt as much before, but it's definitely still there.

BTW guys, keep in mind that pain can just be there itself, but it can also be a symptom of a more serious problem. I am not saying I do not have a problem with my wrist, but that I do not know the reason behind the pain in my wrist. Besides, it would be absurd to think that pain can be triggered from nothing.

Now whenever I slightly turn my wrist, it feels as if there is a bubble in the affected area, and it would pop or something if I turned it any further. The pain has once also spread to the thumb side (hand facing down) of my wrist, but is not happening anymore. I wonder what this means...
I Give Up
You have damaged some of small muscle. Do regular stretch, eat healthy, sleep well play less. Then come back stronger.
GoldenWolf

[-Haqua-] wrote:

Besides, it would be absurd to think that pain can be triggered from nothing.
Oh you'd be surprised.

[-Haqua-] wrote:

Now whenever I slightly turn my wrist, it feels as if there is a bubble in the affected area, and it would pop or something if I turned it any further. The pain has once also spread to the thumb side (hand facing down) of my wrist, but is not happening anymore. I wonder what this means...
Go see a doctor.
show more