forum

How to calm down when you're doing good?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pituophis
Whenever I'm doing very good(for me) on a map my heart rate accelerates, my aim and accuracy go down. Do any of you go through this or is it just me? Any tips on remaining calm while playing?

For example, I was about to ss a 3.7* map, then near the end I got a a few 100s and missed a note. Rage quit followed shortly after, lol.
Yuudachi-kun
I would also like to know, because 6 of my 9x100s in stark ravin mad were at one spot because of this and I only got 198pp
ZenithPhantasm
Play more and overtrain yourself or take drugs
Astrofiziks
try blazin it
otoed1
Playmore and you get used to it eventually. It's performance anxiety, everyone gets it. It's the same as when people get nervous when they do public speaking, etc. It kinda just gets better after a while, never will go away completely.
OzzyOzrock
There's no real way around it, but my advice is to never be actively thinking about the fact that you're playing. Just play, and have your mind half blank, half focused.
otoed1

OzzyOzrock wrote:

There's no real way around it, but my advice is to never be actively thinking about the fact that you're playing. Just play, and have your mind half blank, half focused.
This. Once I fc'd a 4 star map with hidden (I don't ever play hidden ever) and didn't realize it until the score screen. I was really confused. Additionally, one of my old top plays was made while I wasn't paying attention to the game as well. It doesn't really stop the performance anxiety, rather you just never get it because you don't realize your in a stressful situation.
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

Don't think. Push buttons. Feel music. Believe.
7ambda
Don't give a damn about full comboing. Easy way to lower heart rate.

SPOILER
Don't be me.
usa
Keep composed throughout the song. Keep your heart rate in check. Breathe deep when you have a break.
Adapt a steady, controlled playstyle as opposed to reaction based panic attack style of playing.
Get rid of the mindset that fcing will mean anything, chill out it's a pointless game.
Try to rank songs and retry a lot to practice composure.
deletemyaccount
I'm pretty sure this is something everyone struggles with to a certain extent; play more I guess?
B1rd

Philantropist wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is something everyone struggles with to a certain extent; play more I guess?
Wobwoofwolf has trouble with this so... :/
Bence
It just adds a few more stars to the map. You gotta adapt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3a2tiqEkgU
Mafuuu
What I like to do is FC a couple of easy maps first then put in some insanely difficult maps to activate a state of mind where I think everything is just for fun. Then I go play my usual maps with that mindset and also that little confidence boost from the easier songs. After the first FC calm down a bit then play another map. FC that and keep going with short breaks in between each FC to prevent shaky hands.

It's all about setting a good pace before randomly attempting maps and getting nervous.
bigfeh

on a more serious note, if you always fuck up in the end of the song, you'll build up consistency, get nervous more often (and get used to it as a consequence) and so you'll stop fucking up in the end. It's always down to play more
pandaBee
Oh it's this thread again.

Play more
No, seriously. Play more.
ZenithPhantasm
play more

Barusamikosu wrote:

Care less.
Barusamikosu
Play more.

Care less.
SnowflakeStreet
The secret to not being nervous is to not give a shit.
Miko
Get so good that you can fc it while nervous.
Mahogany
Quit and come back another day. Nerves will ruin you and make you mad. When you're more chill, you're more likely to FC.
Saphirshroom
Stop caring about an arbitrary number that won't benefit you in real life in any way unless you're going to get really, really good.
Play the game for fun instead - this can also mean tryharding in which case you'll either have to accept nervousness or try a different mindset towards the game.
I Give Up
Setting top score will always make you nervous. That is why set a very high top score so that every other map doesn't make you nervous any more and you can free climb for a bit.
Yuudachi-kun
Please, I'd get nervous setting scores that would be #40 because I am big babby
buny
get better, and you'll be much more calmer because the map is relatively easier
_-INFECTED
If there is any break ESC it and calm down for a while, drink something like tea.
Feel the music and try to breath slower
Keep playing, move on on the diff.
Saphirshroom

_-INFECTED wrote:

If there is any break ESC it and calm down for a while, drink something like tea.
Then you're ignoring the problem instead of fixing it.
Yuudachi-kun
I hate breaks because it's hard to readjust to the song.
Mahogany
yah breaks mess up my snapping :/
show more