forum

Skinning FAQ

posted
Total Posts
show more
Azure_Kite
Open osume.exe (In the folder osu! is installed to, which is usually C:/Program Files/osu!)

Go to extras, then look for the skin in there. Hope this helps.
Mythological Cow

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Open osume.exe (In the folder osu! is installed to, which is usually C:/Program Files/osu!)

Go to extras, then look for the skin in there. Hope this helps.
thank you!
SimoneElric
ok, where is the template skin for skin makers thing?? cause i am getting REALLY pissed off cause i can't make my skins!!!!
RandomJibberish
It's on osume (The updater), which should be in your osu folder.
SimoneElric
i did look in there! it isn't there! do you think i downloaded wrong or something? and i looked in the extras and it is just blank! nothing in it! so don't suggest that cause i already tried!!!
Mara

SimoneElric wrote:

i did look in there! it isn't there! do you think i downloaded wrong or something? and i looked in the extras and it is just blank! nothing in it! so don't suggest that cause i already tried!!!
You didn't see nothing? Make sure osume.exe can connect to server! (In other words, check your firewall.)
xDionysian
Apologies for Noob Questions (tm), but needed for my pet project skin and better to look stupid now rather than later:

The blinky arrows in the corners, before a section starts after a break. Is it possible to:
A) Animate them
B) Make them stop blinking
C) Not flip symettrically to the other side

Idea to use the Boss I-No warning before Megalomania for this GG skin as said blinky arrows, so having the actual siren animation would be sweet. If not, I'll just use the first frame.

And while I'm here, is it fine to change the size of the count1.png's width? I doubt I'll be using 2/3 anyway unless you can make them slide in horizontally, at the same time, but that's just pointless as a mechanic IMHO
RandomJibberish
The arrows can't be changed in any of those ways unfortunately.

The countdown numbers are positioned by their left (Or possibly right I can't remember) edge, so it's pretty hard to skin them with larger sizes.
xDionysian

RandomJibberish wrote:

The arrows can't be changed in any of those ways unfortunately.

The countdown numbers are positioned by their left (Or possibly right I can't remember) edge, so it's pretty hard to skin them with larger sizes.
Damn.

And they go by their left edge, I remember spotting that. I just wondered since count1 was the bottom layer if it'd get a bit more leeway. But ah well. Thanks for the quick reply.
Mareep
"How do i upload a Skin? It isn't mine but i want to share it causae its one of its kind."
Chompey

Draglems1 wrote:

"How do i upload a Skin? It isn't mine but i want to share it causae its one of its kind."
http://up.ppy.sh/ or http://www.mediafire.com or http://www.megaupload.com
Dragvon

Draglems1 wrote:

Create a topic for your skin. Also, take a look in HERE and HERE
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Draglems1 wrote:

It isn't mine but i want to share it causae its one of its kind."
If it isn't yours, then whose is it, and why can't they upload it themselves?
uchihamiguel_old
how do I put the skin (already downloaded) in the game?
adam2046

uchihamiguel wrote:

how do I put the skin (already downloaded) in the game?
viewtopic.php?p=146364#p146364
And download Winrar or 7zip if you can't open the file you've downloaded.
Behon
Already posted this in my Scott Pilgrim thread, but does anyone know how to get rid of these small white borders showing up around numbers that don't appear in Photoshop?

Loofah_old
That's probably due to the stretching of the image, I'd suggest using a subtle black glow around the image to get rid of it.
YuiiMugii
It is possible to have an animated scorebar and scorebar-ki?

Because I tried making an animated one, but when I tried it out, it just set it is the defaults instead of the animation.

EDIT: Nvm, turns out screbar-ki can't be animated...
Behon
Is it possible to upload the Spins Per Minute graphic yet? If so, what are the filename and dimensions?
Dragvon

Behonkiss wrote:

Is it possible to upload the Spins Per Minute graphic yet? If so, what are the filename and dimensions?
The black box isn't skinnable (I think). But the numbers are. They're the same used for your combo counters.
YuiiMugii
Why does Osu! hate drop-shadows....?
jet_stream
I'm trying to make my own skin,

I'm just want to change the combo burst effects,

and I changed imgs to these.

but I faced a problem,

effects are showing reversed in the some games,

how can I get the effect imgs to the right sides?

thank you for read my question. :)

Starrodkirby86

jet_stream wrote:

I'm trying to make my own skin,

I'm just want to change the combo burst effects,

and I changed imgs to these.[attachment=0:f9032]comboburst1.png[/attachment:f9032]

but I faced a problem,

effects are showing reversed in the some games,
[attachment=1:f9032]reverse-and.jpg[/attachment:f9032]
how can I get the effect imgs to the right sides?

thank you for read my question. :)
This is part of the osu! game mechanic. The comboburst will randomly appear left or right. Unfortunately, I don't think there' s any way around this.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

YuiMugi wrote:

Why does Osu! hate drop-shadows....?
osu! loves drop shadows. you must be doing it wrong :p
Driou
Hi !

I'm trying to make my own skin for osu!standard and i have a question about the param : CustomComboBurstSounds: 30,60,100,,,,

comboburst-n.wav works if combo 30 or 60 or 100... are hits (50,100,300)

but the .wav doesn't works if combo are sliderpoint (10,30)

How to fix this ?

Thank you ^_^
(sorry for my very bad english...)

EDIT :
I found something.
If there is no sounds parameters (//CustomComboBurstSounds), comboburst-n.wav works well on combo when they are sliderpoints (and hits of course).
But... If you break combo, the number of comboburst-n.wav is not respected.
So, 1 solution : another problem :p

Any ideas ?
Thanks ^^

(what i want to do : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvK2sdCFRxo
but i don't break combo so there is no problem with combo announcement :p)
theMikeAG
I have a question you might want to consider for the FAQ.

How do I access the skins folder?

When I was first looking for the skins folder, I was really confused, because the people at IRC were talking about an Osu Main Folder that I didn't know existed. It took me a while, but I finally managed to find the Main Folder... In the properties screen!

You might want to give newbies like me a "heads up" about these sorts of things. Just a suggestion. ;)
ShirouTsuki_old
question! D:

how do I test out my own skin? $:
like, I want to see how it looks, what adjustments should I make for better game play...
I've tried switching files (ie. my count down with the default's) and that's no use...
I've tried dragging folder with the skin I'm working on into the game, but that's useless too (it's already in the Skin folder for OSU! but it doesn't show up in OSU!)

please help? :/

another question is about designing the fruits... could someone explain the functions of ie. fruits-pear and ie.fruits-pear-overlay? D: I see that in the Taiko skin (which is totes awesome :D) , the fruits-pear is blank and that the fruits-pear-overlay isn't... and then when I play catch the fruits, the fruits change colours? @@" *sadface*
I'm so confused! D:
help plox! D:

BTW I'm honestly not very familiar with gameplay or anything 'bout OSU! for that matter, so sorry for the dumb questions >>"
Ziggy Zigzagoon
Is there a way to include "warning sounds" that play when the health bar gets low or dangerously low?
Gens
...might be a little late but oh well.

shiroutsuki wrote:

question! D:

how do I test out my own skin? $:
Just put it in another folder along with the rest skins and choose it in Options - Skins. Make sure you have a skin.ini and everything.

shiroutsuki wrote:

another question is about designing the fruits... could someone explain the functions of ie. fruits-pear and ie.fruits-pear-overlay?
The normal fruit image (no -overlay) gets recolored in-game according to the colors you can set either in the skin or the beatmap, while the overlay doesn't get recolored at all and appears above the other image.

shiroutsuki wrote:

BTW I'm honestly not very familiar with gameplay or anything 'bout OSU! for that matter, so sorry for the dumb questions >>"
Don't worry, this is what this thread is for.

Ziggy Zigzagoon wrote:

Is there a way to include "warning sounds" that play when the health bar gets low or dangerously low?
As far as I know, nothing of the sort has been implemented lately so no.
James2250

Ziggy Zigzagoon wrote:

I like the idea though :P
Ziggy Zigzagoon
For those of you wondering, I have in mind to make my own Trauma Team skin (especially since the other is apparently cancelled). My described feature would have had Angie say "Vitals Dropping!" and "Vitals are Critical!" at certain HP points.
Xaffy
Is there somewhere to get the new cursor/cursor trail? The template still has the old ones.
Loofah_old
The new default cursor trail seems to last much longer than the old one. I would very much like to know the skin.ini command to achieve this.
keegster2
:? how do i add a skin? i try to download it but its just a rar file. (i'm trying to download the kirby osu skin, BTW.)
James2250
You need to download a program like 7zip or something to extract the rar. Then just put the folder in your skins folder
keegster2

James2250 wrote:

You need to download a program like 7zip or something to extract the rar. Then just put the folder in your skins folder
:? i dont have 7zip. can you download it for free?
MLGnom
Yes, 7zip is a free program. (You can download WinRar too, it's also free ). Just search for them using google.
keegster2
thanks, but my dad wont let me. he says it will mess up my moms computer. (im 10, so i have to use my mom or dads computer.)
James2250
They let you download osu but they don't let you download a simple extracting program.......I see some logic flaws there but ok
Tell them they can scan it for viruses or something before you use it (depending on your computer it is probably the first download)

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
keegster2
again. my jerk dad says no. im pretty much kirby osu-less now. :(
show more