forum

Help with streaming!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rhiannon
I've been playing osu! for around 9 months now and I am still hopeless at streaming

I just cannot pass them ;~;

Can anyone give me some tips on how to pass them because not being able to is limiting the beatmaps that I can play :c

(Am also noob on the forums so I don't know if I posted this in the right place D:)
Yuudachi-kun
I've been playing osu for 5 1/2 months and I found playing dragonforce maps everyday really helped me.
drum drum
moved to gameplay & rankings
lit120
I played any random maps with DT mod and i can handle on short streams easily (except death stream)
usa
Start with stacks to understand the rhythm of streams.
At first you're going to have to consciously press every note and you probably won't do to well.
The thing is you have to get to the point where you don't even think that "I have to press X many notes using Y speed."
Streams ultimately have to become muscle memory for you.
For this, play a variety of slow stream maps until you become comfortable and work your way up in bpm.
Riyeko
It's weird that I'm saying this because I've always said it's not gonna help you improve,
you should try some streamy marathon or stream practices, might help.
deletemyaccount
you gotta "feel" the music; being able to rhythmically process the song's bpm is key to fcing streams.

(this isn't a shitpost, I'm serious).
Barusamikosu
Turn up your hitsound volume. Make sure your hitsounds have a consistent tempo when attempting any kind of stream: Bursts, deathstreams, stacks, triples, etc
The Gambler
I remember ztrot making a video on this

I Give Up
Don't think. Push buttons. Feel music. Believe.
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Wow, that's not the 50th time I've seen you post the exact same thing.
Barusamikosu

Kheldragar wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

Zenny will be here soon with stream more :D
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

Not the exact same thing

but hey...

Believe.
ZenithPhantasm
Stream more. Play more. Get gud. And then get RSI and quit
Nyxa

Kheldragar wrote:

What is G&R?

Also, here's an easy way to learn streams:
  1. In the search box, type bpm=150 (or whatever bpm you can stream comfortably right now)
  2. Play stream maps of that bpm until they start becoming boringly easy
  3. Add 5bpm
  4. Repeat really really often
  5. ???
  6. FC Freedom Dive
trebby
Here you go.

jesus1412 wrote:

This is the area which I can be of the most assistance in, quote from the wiki:

osu! wiki wrote:

A stream is a succession of hit circles at a quick, consistent pace from each other. When somebody refers to a "stream", they are usually referring to a stream of hit circles a fourth of a beat from each other. If a player wants to refer to a stream of hit objects half a beat apart from each other, they typically call it a "1/2 stream".
A stream is just a load of notes mashed together in rapid succession, simple! Streams are similar to stacks, the difference being that a stream moves around the map whilst a stack stays still. The difficulty of streams usually comes down to the fact that they require a lot of speed and stamina to perform, some maps however contain streams which are incredibly spaced, the notes are very far from each other making accurately hitting them extremely hard.

First of all let's get started on your preferred peripherals for streams. You can use keyboard, mouse, tablet or a combination of mouse/tablet + keyboard. Of these peripherals I would recommend keyboard or tablet/mouse+keyboard due to the increased amount of stamina and speed available when using them especially when using keyboard in addition to another device. Despite the positives, using combined input devices makes keeping a high accuracy harder as well as making it harder to keep your cursor on a stream and due to this reason. I prefer to used keyboard only because it's a great all round choice.

Using keyboard + another device is done by using your x key and your preferred input device, alternating between the two. For tablet users you will essentially be vibrating your pen at high speeds while tapping your x key to keep a rhythm going. Mouse+keyboard is similar, the only difference being it is harder to obtain the speed/stamina of tapping with a tablet while it is far easier to maintain a slower, constant speed as you have more control over your speed.

The rest of this section will be for keyboards only. Many people may think that all keyboards are the same however you will find that there are two distinctive types used by osu! players, mechanical and dome. The majority of players who use a mechanical (not all however) will tell you that it is far superior to a membrane keyboard for clicking fast; here is some information about the two types:

Mechanical

A mechanical keyboard has switches beneath the individual keys that recreate the experience of typing on a typewriter. Although there are different types of switches used in mechanical keyboards, they all have the same result: more accurate typing.
Dome

wikipedia wrote:

Dome-switch keyboards are a hybrid of flat-panel membrane and mechanical keyboards. They bring two circuit board traces together under a rubber or silicone keypad using either metal "dome" switches or polyester formed domes. The metal dome switches are formed pieces of stainless steel that, when compressed, give the user a crisp, positive tactile feedback. These metal types of dome switches are very common, are usually reliable to over 5 million cycles, and can be plated in either nickel, silver or gold. The rubber dome switches, most commonly referred to as polydomes, are formed polyester domes where the inside bubble is coated in graphite. While polydomes are typically cheaper than metal domes, they lack the crisp snap of the metal domes, and usually have a lower life specification. Polydomes are considered very quiet, but purists tend to find them "mushy" because the collapsing dome does not provide as much positive response as metal domes. For either metal or polydomes, when a key is pressed, it collapses the dome, which connects the two circuit traces and completes the connection to enter the character. The pattern on the PC board is often gold-plated.
Mechanical keyboards also have sub categories. The most commonly found are red, black, and blue keys; each with it's own advantages and disadvantages. Commonly, players will recommend red switch keyboards because they are a lighter version of blacks (lighter presses means you can make more presses with less strain). As I've only truly experienced black switches I can't confidently talk about red/blue switch keybaords however from general feedback it would appear that they are all fine for osu! I would personally recommend black switches after trying both red and black. I found that black switches allowed me to click faster and stamina could be built up faster using them.

Here is a more in depth guide for mechanical keyboards explaining the difference between switch types in more detail.

Down to actually streaming. I like to split streams into two categories, long and fast. A long stream for me is anywhere from 20 to 200 notes while a fast stream is any stream which you would consider hard to click from the start of the stream to the end. It helps to be able to recognize the two streams as it will allow you to approach them in different ways (I certainly do this).

Fast streams are generally the area you should practice to improve your general streaming ability, you can't stream for a long time if you can't stream for a short time. Personally I find that to clear streams of this speed I unconsciously tense my arm whilst lifting my fingers only as far as they need to go. To achieve speed you must practice speeds that are above your comfort level (but not to the point where you miss every single note), I would recommend using the doubletime mod to improve your streams. Another piece of advice that I have given to people (and the swear by it) is to hook your fingers when you stream fast. An easy way to get your hands into the "hook" position is to imagine that you're hanging from a ledge using those 2 fingers, the fingers will be tense and curved. Please note that it is critical that you maintain as much of the tension in your fingers as possible until you eventually learn where the comfortable area that yields the best results for you. When hook my fingers my hand looks like this:

When my hand is in the position that I stream in I move my pinky and ring finger back however that shouldn't matter as long as you have the claw shape in place, what happens to your other fingers is up to you. My hand looks like this when I stream:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, longer, slower streams require a very different approach for me; rather than tensing heavily you should be relaxing your hand to get comfortable with the speed of the map, if you aren't relaxed you will burn out a lot faster.

Don't forget to practice!

Here are a few maps to practice streaming. WARNING: some of these maps are incredibly hard and not for starting players.

List of short stream beatmaps with additional information.

List of long steam beatmaps with additional information.

07th Expansion - Eiji Kuinbii [Collapse]
DJ Swan - Beautiful Angel [Another]
SHIKI - Pure Ruby [Another]
KIEN - La Grand Bleu [SHD]
Niko - Night of Fire [Insane]
Chata - Yuujou Pop [Ai]
xi - FREEDOM DiVE [Another]
kors k - Wuv U [dksslqj Style]
dj TAKA - AA [Another]
Toshiyuki O'mori - Justice [Divine]
dj TAKA with NAOKI - Kakumei [Another]
SHK - Identity Part 4 [Another]
Ryu* - Rondo Alla Turca (Ryu* Remix) [Challenging]
Makou - Fermion [Maximum]
Memme - Extreme Fantasy [Hard]
Mizuki Nana - Massive Wonders [Beyond]
Kitsune^2 - Rainbow Tylenol [lol201]
SHK - Weep Irish [Another]
Tatsh feat. Kanako Hoshino - Gekkou [Another]
07th Expansion - lixAxil [Another]
Last Note. - Setsuna Trip (Short Ver.) [Chew 'N Sane]
ChomuP - Gate of Steiner [Insane]
07th Expansion - rog-unlimitation [AngelHoney]
07th Expansion - Rougoku [Insane]
IOSYS - Kitto Mou Hatarakanai [Lunatic]
Camille Saint-saens & FIRST AID - D2 [Maximum]
SYNC.ART'S - Garasu no Kairou [Nightmare]
Comp - Kyoai [Insane]
xi - Parousia [Another]
Rche - Todestrieb [Another]
PokeRemixStudio - Primal Dialga Remix [Vs. Primal Dialga]
ZUN & Ryu* - Second Darkside [Lunatic]
Shounen Radio - neu [Platinum]
Memme - Extreme Fantasy [Insane]
Amane - Midsummer Festival [Lunatteke]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZenithPhantasm
Hi great wall of text