forum

[osu!mania] How to deal with this pattern?

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Maus-
Just play more, why do people just keep asking for tips, I've never asked for a tip regarding the gameplay wtf
Kinac
My first tip is like others said, stop playing autoconverts. Well I'm not gonna argue about you for some reason not liking o!m songs (even tho a lot of them don't even have vocals), but still, playing autoconverts is the worst thing possible. And there are unranked maps too you know.

Second tip is about the pattern. Just play more. That's all you can do to learn a pattern. There are no secret tricks to playing patterns.

Third tip is about scroll speed. Just play what you like the best and don't force yourself to play at a scroll speed that's too fast or too slow.
Kamikaze

Exemmar wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts
Stopped reading there. I'm out.
ovnz

Exemmar wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low
Sure... :^)
Elementaires

Exemmar wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low

you could try to play a mania map, at least once

but nvm you can just stay an ignorant and farm those 100% accuracy for your own fun. but dont ask 2 months later things like "wtf no pp????," or "how to pass this pattern?'

to answer the question of the thread --> practice
Bobbias

Elementaires wrote:

to answer the question of the thread --> practice
Also known as "if you're not going to listen to our advice, don't ask."
Valedict

Exemmar wrote:

Ovnize wrote:

First, stop playing autoconverts.
I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low especially I HATE japanesse where 99% of songs for mania are japanesse.
Basically you just said "I don't ever want to improve or properly play this game"

It's pointless asking how to play a pattern when you won't even play a real mania map
Jinjin
Rule #1: Autoconverts are bad
Rule #2: Autoconverts are still bad
Rule #3: Autoconverts will forever be bad.

By playing autoconverts, you are shunning yourself from 95% of the great variety of patterns that mania has to offer. If you want to improve, I suggest that you try actual mania maps.

99% of songs for mania are japanese? pls
lenpai

iJinjin wrote:

Rule #1: Autoconverts are bad
Rule #2: Autoconverts are still bad
Rule #3: Autoconverts will forever be bad.

By playing autoconverts, you are shunning yourself from 95% of the great variety of patterns that mania has to offer. If you want to improve, I suggest that you try actual mania maps.

This.
And also try searching by "all maps" you might be looking at ranked so you dont see songs you might really like.
Although some maps are pretty bad, they're still way better then autoconverts
dennischan
eat the patterns
Topic Starter
Exemmar

Elementaires wrote:

I tried already and they are way harder.

iJinjin wrote:

Yep. Surprisingly when I search for artists I like to listen all I get are japenesse songs. OR instrumentals but I can forget about something I wanted to play. I can choose between something I don't like and something I don't know. Also I can go for unranked because there somehow are songs that I like but everybody knows that playing ranked maps is more fun because you're getting rewarded for something you achieved and after some "rewards" (pp) you can clearly see that you are better than you were before.

I'll start playing unranked for now but probably will get bored soon.
ovnz
Make your choice. Improve or play autoconverts.
-Maus-

Exemmar wrote:

Elementaires wrote:

G A M E S
A R E N ' T
M E A N T
T O
B E
E A S Y.
Kamikaze

Exemmar wrote:

Elementaires wrote:

Bobbias
1: Autoconverts cannot create many of the patterns we make in real mania maps. Of course it's going to be tricky to adjust to real maps that have patterns you've never seen. However, we have some very easy difficulties. The ranking criteria specifically says we must have one easy difficulty under 2 stars in order to be ranked.

2: If you're going to ask us how to improve, listen to what we have to say. Ignoring advice you've asked for is the quickest way to piss off the people who were willing to give you advice in the first place.

3: quit complaining that things are too hard. Just like the only way to deal with a fear is to face it, the only way to improve at a reasonable rate is to force yourself to play things that are harder than what you normally play. You can spend thousands of hours playing easy stuff and still be absolutely terrible at this game if you never force yourself to improve.
Kurokotei
Also, something you don't know doesn't mean it's bad. I've discovered plenty of artists by playing music that I didn't know of.
For the rest, listen to what other people said.
Topic Starter
Exemmar
I'm not saying that harder is worse but playing autoconverts with 1.8 stars was way easier than playing mania maps with 1.4 stars or even less so i feel regress.
The reason why I'm not convinced to this mode is that I tried it just for fun and still don't know if I'm gonna keep playing this especially when learning and improving process is very long and i wonder if it's worth it. I don't feel urge to be a good mania player. I'm not here to piss anyone off and if I did, I'm sorry. I'm not ignoring you advices too, I think about them but it's hard to choose between playing for fun and playing for serious.
Valedict

Exemmar wrote:

I tried it just for fun

Then there is no point to you asking how to deal with an easy pattern if you're just playing this casually.

Exemmar wrote:

playing autoconverts with 1.8 stars was way easier than playing mania maps with 1.4 stars or even less so i feel regress.

Wow it's almost like mania maps use real patterns and you have no exposure to them at all!

Exemmar wrote:

I think about them but it's hard to choose between playing for fun and playing for serious.

I'm friends with casual mania players who have no problem playing mania specific maps and playing for fun. Even casual players know better than to continue playing autoconverts; they're not fun at all and you can still play for fun and learn how to play actual mania maps just like anyone else, regardless of skill.

You're not taking any of our advice if you still think autoconverts are a good option, given how everyone in this thread has told you over and over to not play them.
OzzyOzrock
play taiko
lemonguy
Oh god I can't stop laughing at this thread, I can't tell if he's serious or not. You want to learn how to do a pattern, but you aren't willing to play more maps that are out of your comfort zone so you can improve and eventually be able to play that pattern? I'm sorry, but that's NOT how this works. If you're complaining that maps are too hard for you, either quit whining and practice enough to be able to play them, or you can be ignorant and not put forth any effort, leaving you to wonder "why am I not magically improving at this game?"

And like everyone else has already stated: If you want to improve, STOP PLAYING AUTOCONVERTS.
-Squishy
let me give you better advice

1. look at your fingers
2. look at your screen
3. look at yourself through the reflection of your screen
4. stare real hard and ask yourself: do you have what it takes to play mania?
yes
stop complaining and play
no
stop complaining and don't play
Topic Starter
Exemmar

OzzyOzrock wrote:

play taiko
Tried taiko, it's making me feel dizzy so I stopped after few maps.

Gekido- wrote:

You want to learn how to do a pattern, but you aren't willing to play more maps that are out of your comfort zone so you can improve and eventually be able to play that pattern? I'm sorry, but that's NOT how this works.
I WAS willing to play harder maps when I was playing autoconverts (for now I want this thread to be closed because there's no point of keeping it up anymore) and I know exactly how it works, maybe im newb/noob in mania but in standard I didn't have any problems with ranking up.

Also you guys treat me like I knew there are specific mania maps and that they are different from "autoconverts". When i started this thread I DIDN'T And you keep saying that why I'm complaining (I'm not even complaining) and play mania maps if I want to improve.

-Tim- wrote:

Then there is no point to you asking how to deal with an easy pattern if you're just playing this casually.
There is damn point because without you guys I'd still play autoconverts trying to learn how to pass the pattern thinking it's the right way of improving.

-Tim- wrote:

you can still play for fun and learn how to play actual mania maps just like anyone else, regardless of skill.
I could if there would be more maps of songs I like, tried few unranked maps of songs I actually like and it seems I can pass them with 95-100% acc (too easy) or can't pass at all (too hard) or are meant to be played with more keys and I'm too lazy to learn how to mash 5-7 buttons at once because of random missclicks. I tried 7 keys for 2 days without any progress so decided to go back to 4k where I could see I'm improving.
-Maus-
Getting the fuck out and learning about the meaning of improvement is still an option
Redon
Kamikaze

Exemmar wrote:

[Also you guys treat me like I knew there are specific mania maps and that they are different from "autoconverts". When i started this thread I DIDN'T And you keep saying that why I'm complaining (I'm not even complaining) and play mania maps if I want to improve.
did you even look at your earlier posts

if you ever say that you won't stop playing autoconverts because a) lol too few maps b) lol too hard , then you're singing yourself up for a shitstorm trip here.
do not try this at home kids
Evening
not sure if good b8 or dense
Cuppp

Exemmar wrote:

maybe im newb/noob in mania but in standard I didn't have any problems with ranking up.
Standard =/= mania

maybe im noob in football but in golf i didnt have any problems with getting better
Bobbias

Exemmar wrote:

I WAS willing to play harder maps when I was playing autoconverts (for now I want this thread to be closed because there's no point of keeping it up anymore) and I know exactly how it works, maybe im newb/noob in mania but in standard I didn't have any problems with ranking up.
Ok, so I'll try to explain a few things about why you got such a negative response here.

First, most experienced mania players dislike autoconverts specifically because it gives a bad first impression for a whole number of reasons. The patterns are terrible, they suggest that 4k is always easier than 7k, among other issues.

Second, asking for advice tells people you are looking to improve at the game. When you then tell people you have no desire to actually improve, this essentially means that anyone who spent time writing a serious response to that question just wasted their time.

Third, the attitude that it's impossible to enjoy yourself while also trying to improve is insulting to many of us. It's my personal opinion that at higher difficulty levels, because there is a wider range of pattern styles available to play, the game is actually more fun than at lower difficulty levels. I'm not saying you need to play the hardest maps in order to have fun though.

Ideally you should be able to strike a balance between playing to improve and playing for fun. I understand that it's not fun for most people to feel like they're failing miserably at something, but I also think that osu standard warps people's opinions of what is a good score. In osu, if you dont have a 98%+ FC your score is basically worthless. In osumania, it's not necessary to get scores with extremely high accuracy or full combos to get a decent score.

Osumania will reward A's and B's on harder songs much more than an S or even an SS on something much easier. In fact, if I were to SS anything, I can guarantee that it would be so easy that I wouldn't gain any PP for it, because all of my top scores are on maps much much harder than that. Although to be honest, using rank as any indicator of skill is a terrible idea.

I also want to explain something that few people seem to talk about. When someone suggests playing songs that you consider 'too hard' we're not saying 'you can't have fun until you get better'. There's this effect that happens when you play songs that you would normally consider too hard. When you play them more often, your brain slowly gets used to the harder patterns, and while that happens, everything you feel comfortable playing will begin to feel even easier. Instead of getting 97% on something you might start getting 98's or 99's. Even if you don't see any improvement on the harder songs, this happens. The other effect is that when most people encounter a pattern that is a bit harder than they're used to, they tend to panic and either freeze up or mash keys uncontrollably. As you get used to seeing these patterns you stop having that sort of panic response, and you start being able to make sense of what you're seeing.

As for the 7k issue: yes, it takes longer to start seeing improvement in 7k, but I will warn you right now, if you don't practice 7k until you get much better at 4k, you will find it even harder to learn 7k. Look at staiain, he has YEARS of being one of the best stepmania players and osumania players in 4k, but in 7k, he's still having a really hard time learning, and is still nowhere remotely close to his 4k skill level. I began with 7k, when barely even played 4k until a few months ago, and my 4k skill is relatively close to my 4k skill without any practice. It's much easier to transfer skill from higher key numbers to lower ones than the other way around, so it's still a good idea to stick with 7k, even if you don't see improvement as quickly.
Tidek

Exemmar wrote:

maybe im newb/noob in mania but in standard I didn't have any problems with ranking up.
Because standard is a lot easier to learn at beginning.

Its a lot easier to get SS on normal difficulty in standard than getting SS on normal difficulty in mania.

not saying that standard is easier overall, because its getting harder to learn at higher difficulty levels.
Topic Starter
Exemmar
Thanks for understanding and explaining, it means much more for me than "don't play autoconverts" or "play more".

Bobbias wrote:

There's this effect that happens when you play songs that you would normally consider too hard.
That depends on what kind of "too hard" we're talking about:
a) accu so low you're not feeling like you're able to play it properly, or
b) song is so hard you can't pass it or can't even play for more than 5seconds because you are failing so quickly

It's really hard for me to find a song that I like, is within my skill range and is ranked.

Bobbias wrote:

and my 4k skill is relatively close to my 4k skill without any practice.
You meant "and my 4k skill is relatively close to my 7k skill without any practice.", right?

When I was still playing these cursed autoconverts I actually started getting used to that pattern, was breaking combo less times and even sometimes I was able to get full 300/max.

Also in standard it was easier to adjust difficulty of song because of mods, here mods don't make any sense, they are not giving additional points for us and hr makes the song unranked. I'm not sure but dt/nc doesn't affect pp you get for map so there's no point of using them too, until you want your song to be faster (and harder). I'll give it another try including 7k, thanks for motivating post.
lenpai
You might want to get used to the accuracy system here before going for harder songs. I started off as an player who cam play 4.5 star maps well (less than 20 misses for 2 minute maps) but has really bad accuracy.
Going back to what you last said, 7k is hard to learn if you already got better at a lower keycount. Took me 2 months to learn to transition from 6k so i guess it is best to give 7k a shot while youre still new.
xch00F

Exemmar wrote:

Ovnize wrote:

First, stop playing autoconverts.
I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low especially I HATE japanesse where 99% of songs for mania are japanesse.
you are doing yourself a disservice then
while the idea of an autoconvert is pretty cool, since it kinda gives you more to work with, you will never get better at mania because you are not playing things that were made specifically for mania
Bobbias

Exemmar wrote:

Thanks for understanding and explaining, it means much more for me than "don't play autoconverts" or "play more".

No problem. I'd rather help new people than make fun of them or insult them.

Exemmar wrote:

Bobbias wrote:

There's this effect that happens when you play songs that you would normally consider too hard.
That depends on what kind of "too hard" we're talking about:
a) accu so low you're not feeling like you're able to play it properly, or
b) song is so hard you can't pass it or can't even play for more than 5seconds because you are failing so quickly

It's really hard for me to find a song that I like, is within my skill range and is ranked.
New players often have a small comfort zone. What I was referring to is finding maps that fit the first point. You should be able to pass it, but you may encounter patterns that you just can't seem to play at all (life drain should be low enough that short bursts of these patterns shouldn't kill you). From what I've seen, most newcomers only like to play things they feel they can confidently hit every pattern in. While this certainly feels good, it isn't an effective way to improve.

To contrast things, because I've taken this idea of playing things that are "too hard" to an extreme, I am perfectly comfortable playing songs I have no chance of passing. I'm not suggesting everyone take things that far, I'm just using that as an example of how that can increase the range of difficulties you feel comfortable playing. I still remember how much I hated feeling like I couldn't play something properly, but I think I enjoy myself more now that I'm comfortable playing anything, and don't get bothered the way I used to when I realize I can't play something as well as I wanted/expected.

Exemmar wrote:

Bobbias wrote:

and my 4k skill is relatively close to my 4k skill without any practice.
You meant "and my 4k skill is relatively close to my 7k skill without any practice.", right?
Whoops, yeah, that was a typo.

Exemmar wrote:

When I was still playing these cursed autoconverts I actually started getting used to that pattern, was breaking combo less times and even sometimes I was able to get full 300/max.

Also in standard it was easier to adjust difficulty of song because of mods, here mods don't make any sense, they are not giving additional points for us and hr makes the song unranked. I'm not sure but dt/nc doesn't affect pp you get for map so there's no point of using them too, until you want your song to be faster (and harder). I'll give it another try including 7k, thanks for motivating post.
Ok, so in standard, the vision mods had a very noticeable effect on the ability to read a map. Certain patterns are far more difficult to read in hidden than in nomod. Additionally, HR modified both the difficulty stats (OD and CS) as well as the patterns themselves. These mods have far less effect in mania, because it's perfectly possible to play with any vision mod (including FL) and have little or no added difficulty if you're used to that vision mod. I actually play completely in FL when I play mania, and I used to play completely with HD because they both help me play better than I would with nomod (once I adjusted to them). Overall the mods in mania just don't have the same effect on difficulty that they have on standard, so they also have far less effect on your score (they do have a tiny effect, but it's almost not worth mentioning, and complicated to explain).

Another suggestion is that you try using fixed speeds instead of BPM scaled speeds. By default osumania determines the actual speed a song scrolls at by multiplying the BPM by your scroll speed setting. This means that a 200 bpm song will be twice as fast as a 100 bpm song at the same setting. There's an option to make osu ignore the song's BPM and always multiply your scroll speed by 100. What this does is make it so that every song will scroll at the exact same speed. If the song is faster, the notes will be closer together instead. Before this option existed, most good mania players would adjust their scroll speed based on the bpm to try to keep it roughly the same speed. this option eliminates the need for that.

This is where the option is. Remember, if you chose to try this, you will probably need to change your scroll speed a little bit, because it uses 100bpm as the base multiplier, and most songs are faster than 100 bpm.

A final word, I totally understand the issue with the music selection. I really wish people would map other music, but even if I dislike a song, the patterns might be fun to play, and that's where I get the most fun from osumania. It's not about ranks, community, or even the music, but the patterns themselves for me.

And if you ever feel like talking, you can always message me ingame.
Evening
tell me what genres/type/specific music you like to play, i'll see if i can find some good maps for you, how about that, makes it better for people to throw in map suggestions instead of making it seem like you almost hate every music in the world ( which is my impression )
and give a map ( including autoconverts ) that you personally like to play and i'll see if i can find maps which can cater to your level of playing
Topic Starter
Exemmar

Bobbias wrote:

This is where the option is. Remember, if you chose to try this, you will probably need to change your scroll speed a little bit, because it uses 100bpm as the base multiplier, and most songs are faster than 100 bpm.
I already disabled it, but thanks for advice. And by the way we share the same way of improving, but I do it on standard. For now recommended difficulty for me is ~3.52 stars but I'm used to play 4-6 stars maps (with nofail if can't pass without it) even though it's hard to keep higher combo and/or nice accuracy not to mention to fc, but if I randomly get a high combo, it gives me lots of pp, sometimes even more than for high acc fc of 3.5 stars map.
And I enjoy it all the way especially when hard pattern of jumps appears and I somehow manage to fc that. (for example gangsta jumps) Then I feel proud of myself because I could feel like a top player for a while and it's awesome.

Thanks for everything, I'll consider messaging you, but I'm not too talkative.

Z3nx wrote:

tell me what genres/type/specific music you like to play
I like drum and bass, rock, metal, dubstep, hardstyle, trap, trance, breakcore, instrumentals (but here similar to pop, hard to explain) and other electronics, some pop (but it's hard to explain even for myself what kind so I prefer finding it for myself.

I like these genres but it's hard to find them especially when most of maps are japanesse/video game/other/instumental and these aren't clear for me.

You may ask what I dislike? Classic rock (with very few exceptions), reggae (but I can stand if it's mixed in d'n'b), everything japanesse (with ONE exception, once i heard a godlike song on happystick's stream it was something like japanesse/korean trap or something close to trap with vocals but damn, that was great. Sadly couldn't get title and msg'ing him didn't help because of no respond)

But really, you don't have to.
-Maus-
JAPANESE*
Inkling
The problem with these kinds of threads is that everyone encounters the same problem with xyz pattern or xyz playstyle, but this isn't really the type of game where strategy or knowledge can drastically increase your performance.

To play harder patterns you have to get better and the only way to do that is to play more, but that kind of answer isn't really satisfying

The way you approach a pattern and how you think about it will change as your mechanical skill develops and is pretty unique to you individually, so there isn't really anything significant other people can tell you that will make you master this pattern without putting in the time to practice.

The only thing people can do is give you tips on practicing efficiently and suggest some maps that use those types of patterns a lot. People are suggesting you to play mania-specific maps for this reason.

Also, star difficulty, ranking and whatever is not that important. Just focus on playing for fun and as you improve your rank will naturally catch up to you. That's my 2 cents.

Always good to see oss helping grow the mania community though, good luck q8]
xch00F

Exemmar wrote:

Classic rock.
ebin my friend simbly ebin XD
Bobbias

Inkling wrote:

The problem with these kinds of threads is that everyone encounters the same problem with xyz pattern or xyz playstyle, but this isn't really the type of game where strategy or knowledge can drastically increase your performance.
Well there IS a thread that all these various "how do I get better" threads should have been merged with... But apparently nobody on this forum understands the concept of long running threads that stay on topic (without being stickied).

There's even some real in depth discussion on the first few pages, before it just became people thanking Drace for making the thread.