forum

Best mechanical switches for timing (for new keyboard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
ayygurl
Why osu!community uses more reds switches? Everybody has a different opinion or they are better for osu! for x reason?
ZenithPhantasm

FirePotato05 wrote:

Why osu!community uses more reds switches? Everybody has a different opinion or they are better for osu! for x reason?
Easier to press so theoretically more stamina.
I personally use Steelseries QS1 switches which are basically shorter Reds.
Endaris

FirePotato05 wrote:

I remember someone posting a beautiful meme how cookiezi gives red switches to a player, says "I use these", vanishes and then the player stands there deeply thinking and then he hugs the red switches and says "I use these".
Technical cause is that they're the lightest to press. Browns are supposed to be pressed as easily but the tactile bump adds slightly.
Personally I chose brown cause I wanted that feedback not only for osu!.
Topic Starter
ayygurl
But i think i'm gonna take the reds, thanks for helping me guys :D. And, yesterday I was playing with my ultra-super-cool rubber-dome keyboard freedom dive [another] with halftime, I was doing some great streams but i felt that I need force to press the keys while long streams, i think like this is an good exemple to say that mechanical keyboards are better for stamina.

-Fire
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

FirePotato05 wrote:

I remember someone posting a beautiful meme how cookiezi gives red switches to a player, says "I use these", vanishes and then the player stands there deeply thinking and then he hugs the red switches and says "I use these".
Technical cause is that they're the lightest to press. Browns are supposed to be pressed as easily but the tactile bump adds slightly.
Personally I chose brown cause I wanted that feedback not only for osu!.
I used to and still bottom out so hard that I didn't notice any feedback with blues unless I pressed real slowly.
autoteleology
Are there any keys with shorter travel distances than Cherry MX keys? If I had a problem with Reds, it would be that.
deletemyaccount
What if someone used sanwa switches to play osu!

I would try it but I don't own an arcade stick.
ZenithPhantasm

Philosofikal wrote:

Are there any keys with shorter travel distances than Cherry MX keys? If I had a problem with Reds, it would be that.
Steelseries QuickScope1 Switches
Topic Starter
ayygurl
Okay fuck my life everybody, i've almost "break" my key :/ .
The key was locked deep down.

I replaced it but now the key is a little bit weird ._. .

#RUBBERDOMEKEYBOARD
#NEEDAMECHANICALONE
E m i
is that razer
bigfeh

[ Momiji ] wrote:

is that razer
yes it is

also explains why it broke
Topic Starter
ayygurl
Nope xD, it's an xTrust GXT 280.
bigfeh

FirePotato05 wrote:

your keyboard is like one letter away from being a video card
Pituophis

Philosofikal wrote:

You can make the travel distance shorter with o rings or landing pads
Topic Starter
ayygurl

bigfeh wrote:

FirePotato05 wrote:

your keyboard is like one letter away from being a video card

I know xD.
Topic Starter
ayygurl
Okay now i have my new keyboard, a Corsair Vengeace K70 (red switches), i had no problems, or, maybe just a little bit with timing and now i have the impression that i can go faster =) ! But know i make much more typos ._. .

ty, and yes i still take pictures with a potato
deletemyaccount

ayygurl wrote:

But now i make much more typos ._. .
Once you get used to it, reds probably have the highest WPM of any switch (that is if you make no typos ofc).

remember to clean your keyboard once in a while, they can get dirty very fast.
B1rd

Philantropist wrote:

ayygurl wrote:

Once you get used to it, reds probably have the highest WPM of any switch (that is if you make no typos ofc).

No, the effort to push down a switch doesn't really affect your typing speed unless they're really hard to push down. Tactile switches are much better as it's much easier to feel when you've activated a switch, and you're less likely to accidentally activate other switches.

Red are better for gaming though. The bump is a nuisance when you're trying to do small fine movements, it's a lot easier to push the key down just enough to activate it when there's not a large bump in the way. Though this is more of an issue for games like ctb, danmaku, and to a degree 1st/3rd person games than it is for osu!.
ZenithPhantasm

Philantropist wrote:

ayygurl wrote:

Gateron Clear keyboards are more sanic.
Topic Starter
ayygurl

Philantropist wrote:

how? thanks for the tip bro' ! Do you think like removing keycaps and spraying some compressed air is okay, or just blow next to the keys? Or like i have to clean the switches too like put some oil?
Noobsicle

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

35g though, ez mistyping

ayygurl wrote:

how? thanks for the tip bro' ! Do you think like removing keycaps and spraying some compressed air is okay, or just blow next to the keys? Or like i have to clean the switches too like put some oil?
ya removing keycaps and using compressed air works fine. if you've got smudges on the base of the keyboard, a damp cloth should be enough
Topic Starter
ayygurl
I only have to use oil like if i have problems while pushing the key?
B1rd
Isopropyl alcohol works for cleaning. Water can damage the electronics.
Noobsicle
dunno, never had trouble pushing down keys lol
you could use lube or something inside the components of the switch to make it feel smoother, make sure it doesn't contain substances that can corrode the plastics and stuff (use google for dis i'm clueless yo)
ZenithPhantasm

Noobsicle wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

35g though, ez mistyping
Technically the most sanic switches.
Topic Starter
ayygurl
ye, but atm, i'm just gonna remove all the keycaps and remove the dust and all the shit. If i'm igonna have problems with my switches I will put some lub or something like that.

It's okay to remove dust with that?

-ayygurl
dung eater

ayygurl wrote:

ye, but atm, i'm just gonna remove all the keycaps and remove the dust and all the shit. If i'm igonna have problems with my switches I will put some lub or something like that.

It's okay to remove dust with that?

-ayygurl
It's fine for cleaning kb. There might be traces of lubrication oil in the air from the compressor.
Topic Starter
ayygurl
Perfect! Thanks :3.