forum

Beta release stream testing

posted
Total Posts
show more
Improv
Frames are fine on beta but overheats computer and causing it to turn off
(this is indeed a problem with my fan, but this has never happened with Directx or on stable for that matter.)
Random Specs I could find.

I run osu! with all detail settings off. 1920x1080 Fullscreen.
Anzo
Dunno why osu! OpenGL in windowed mode gets a black screen (or sometimes freezing screen) everytime UAC kicks in. I need to restart the client for it to go back to normal. It doesn't happen on DirectX. (if this is a known issue please do tell me.)

OBSERVATIONS:
(fullscreen/windowed) FPS - same as stable
(windowed) Disabled Desktop Composition: Yep, that osu! logo inside a white box, no input delays (ofc lol)
(windowed) Enabled Desktop Composition: the usual osu! logo, slight input delay but better than stable
(windowed) osu! stops responding as I minimize or hide (via bosskey) the game while in autoplay mod.
(fullscreen) osu! stops responding as I switch to another running application or hide (via bosskey) the game while in autoplay mod.

GFX: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (yeah my pc sucks T_T)

20150518.7beta
Steffie
Like a lot of people are saying, Better to have DirectX rather than OpenGL, i think it's stupid to remove DX as an renderer.. Me myself cannot play with OGL either.
Yunus
Is it true that OpenGL fixes the Input lag on Windows 8.1? My aim feels kinda weird also I tried starting osu without dwm.exe (Windows 8.1) and I got a blackscreen on the osu window, tried restarting osu, still same blackscreen.

(build 20150518.7)
If the update really fixes the Input lag then this update rocks.
Multtari
Is there anything to do about compability/performance with recording software when using OpenGL?

While the game runs better when playing normally, the performance is significantly lower compared to DirectX while recording. Haven't tried streaming yet but i'm probably going to have more trouble with more demanding preset when the difference is this big with local recording.

Another problem is that there seems to be fixed desync every time trying to record in OpenGL. While it's easily fixed it takes some time and it shouldn't happen.

While these videos wasn't uploaded with intention of posting them here they give good reference. Noticed desync problem after uploading OpenGL recording. Tested it couple of times and the video was desynced every time so i switched to DirectX and reuploaded.

System specs:

GPU: Sapphire HD 6870
CPU: AMD FX-6300. Overclocked at 4.4Ghz
RAM: 8GB
Mobo: Asrock something. Not in home to check and probably not relevant information.
Drive: Some old HDD. Shouldn't be too old to slow things down.

Recording settings used:

Software:OBS
Resolution: 1600x900 downscaled to 1280x720
Mode: CRF 17. No bitrate limit. Buffer size of 1000kbps. Audio bitrate of 160kbs.
Encoding preset: Ultrafast (fastest)
Framerate: 120fps in DirectX and 90fps in OpenGL (Changed because of low performance, can't remember exact numbers)

DirectX
Performance: Averages at ~300fps. Occasional barely noticeable lag spikes where it goes under "red zone" which is 240fps.

OpenGL
Performance: Averages at ~260fps. Constantly dipping below red zone. Audio in desync as told earlier.
Proxy
I wanted to play solo, but the button just wouldn't get me to singleplayer. I can click it multiple times and nothing happens.

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3146715

A restart fixed this.
Shadering
How can i have this beta?
Verssesli
Upon updating to the beta the game is no longer playable, as before I would get ~150fps in menu, and ~280-400fps in game with directx, but will only get ~70fps in menu and ~110-140fps in game causing very noticeable stuttering and being completely unplayable with video or storyboard on (Anywhere between 50-70fps).
Running on Intel HD 4000 with dual-channel RAM @ 1680x1050 fullscreen with i5-3210M.

On a side note, running fullscreen on an Intel HD 4400 with dual-channel ram @ 1366x768with an i3-4030U has those issues, but also causes the cursor to disappear, but items are still clickable. The cursor comes back upon switching to borderless.

No other gameplay issues noted, since I can no longer play the game on beta.
gristCollector

Shadering wrote:

How can i have this beta?
Options > Updates > Release stream: Beta

Also, on the current status of the beta 20150518.7:
Laggier than usual. Confirmed that I am using the same settings as I was on the original.
Mateux

peppy wrote:

Mateux wrote:

The second update gave me a white bg with osu! logo.
My game was running at 1fps. I think that is because the game is using OpenGL now.
What graphics card?
Intel GMA 3150 ( D: )
Tom94

Verssesli wrote:

Upon updating to the beta the game is no longer playable, as before I would get ~150fps in menu, and ~280-400fps in game with directx, but will only get ~70fps in menu and ~110-140fps in game causing very noticeable stuttering and being completely unplayable with video or storyboard on (Anywhere between 50-70fps).
Running on Intel HD 4000 with dual-channel RAM @ 1680x1050 fullscreen with i5-3210M.

On a side note, running fullscreen on an Intel HD 4400 with dual-channel ram @ 1366x768with an i3-4030U has those issues, but also causes the cursor to disappear, but items are still clickable. The cursor comes back upon switching to borderless.

No other gameplay issues noted, since I can no longer play the game on beta.
Thr cursor issue should be resolved on the newest cutting edge build. Could you try it there and see if the fix works for you?

We are still working on getting the performance up on par on intel HD chips. For some reason there are performance issues on those currently.
Vex
This may have already been mentioned, but mouse players who play in fullscreen to avoid input lag, will have problems with input lag due to OpenGL, from what I'm aware of the only way to fix it is by changing the windows theme to non-aero, but will there be a work around without the need to switch themes, or are mouse players basically forced to adapt to input the lag.
Topic Starter
peppy
Have you even tried running the beta/cutting-edge builds? They support exclusive full screen.
query3
okay, i upgraded to the latest beta, and it runs FLAWLESSLY. (120 fps cap @ 1080p)
additionally, it really does feel like input lag went down (either that, or my brain is actually working today)

specs:
intel core i7 920 - 2.7 GHz
nvidia geforce GT640 w/ 1GB GDDR5 vram
6GB DDR3 RAM

thanks for the openGL shaders :3
Vex
I tried both Cutting Edge and Beta on fullscreen, and it does still seem to have abit of input/cursor lag.
Everything else seems to work fine, no fps lag of any kind.
msh1107
That OpenGL "Exclusive fullscreen" seems to be even worse than DirectX borderless window.
Awipka
I can agree, there is input lag on fullscreen Cutting Edge (mouse player, if matters). Everything else is working fine, but that input lag makes game if not unplayable, then definitely unenjoyable. There is NO such input lag on stable version (with DirectX renderer, of course).

Specs (laptop):
Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5 GHz
Radeon HD 7650M
6GB DDR3 RAM
Tom94
Chances are you are not in exclusive fullscreen if you have input lag. Does your screen flash black if you toggle fullscreen off and on? If not, then there is no exclusive mode going on.

It is known, that on hybrid graphics solutions such as a laptop with integrated graphics and a discrete graphics card exclusive fullscreen doesn't work when using the graphics card for playing osu!. Try changing your driver settings to use integrated graphics for osu! and see whether that helps with getting exclusive mode to work.
lolcubes
I have an issue enabling full screen on my laptop when an external display is connected, which has a smaller resolution than the laptop's native resolution.

My laptop has a 1366x768 screen and I am connecting it to a 1280x1024 screen (actually, the screen is using 1280x720 because I still like to retain 16:9). By default, osu runs in borderless, but enabling fullscreen gives me an error that osu is unable to switch to full screen and stays in borderless, despite the circle being filled @fullscreen option.
There is a possibility I ran fullscreen in 1366x768 before though, but for the life of me I cannot remember. Could this be the reason?
Proxy
osu! Is forcing 60hz for me. Yes, I do have 75hz chosen. It doesn't matter if i play in windowed mode or fullscreen.

Editing the refresh rate in the .cfg file seems to fix this.
Proxy
My osu is also crashing multiple times per day with the error message http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... d%E2%80%9D

I already tried both solutions, they didn't help at all.

Latest drivers are installed, my GPU is the gtx 750

EDIT: I was getting live help from nvidia and after alot of troubleshooting nothing worked. She gave me a HotFix driver after that and it *appears* to have fixed it until now. I'll keep this updated.
BlackMidKnight
Unfortunately for me, I didn't get any impovements or or achiving the same gameplay as on the stable release from the game by switching from directx of stable to opengl of beta.

Framerate drops significantly if compare to the stable release causing some major lag that can greatly affect the gameplay...
At some point the client doesn't work at all after retrying a map causing black screen and make osu!client not responding at all (I need to force restart my laptop after that)

Here is a video that shows my troubles in the beta client. In advance I am deeply sorry for that bad auto-focusing of my camera (I forgot to turn it off and I don't know how :( )

Here is also some of my records on FPS.
SPOILER
(Native)
~315 FPS (Stable)
~206 FPS (Beta)

(Borderless)
~128 FPS (S)
~80 FPS (B)

(Full screen @ 1280x720)
~200 FPS (S)
~132 FPS (B)

As of now, I switch back to the client stable release for the reason that I mention above.
Ryu Sei
Tried with Acer Aspire V5 w/ Intel HD3000 graphic. Displaying osu! w/ 720p resolution.

The exclusive FS display has almost no lag input in-game. The lag only happens when it doesn't runs in exclusive FS.
anticlown111
Beta OpenGL fullscreen seems to work better than Directx for me (same framerate locked at 1440, less input lag) (i have nvidia videocard), even though i get some random little freezes.
makemecool123
Nice Next Osu Update M y FPs Always Been 150
Sir Lance
Tested for 1 hour, attempted to break it multiple time, failed.
+Couldnt break the game / Make it crash.
-Framerate still tends to stutter from a locked 240fps to a subtle 0fps for about half a second.
AGRX
I guess this will not work on wine.
Wylo
Just please don't push the OpenGL only build to Stable until Nvidia fixes their driver regarding OGL on 840M.
Swordians
Trying to update to the beta stream in WINE stops me after the first update due to out of date .NET, currently. I've had huge amounts of trouble installing .NET 4 in other prefixes, so I'm not going to bother (the updater couldn't install it itself, and asked me to install it manually). This switch will lead to a native mac version, right? I sure hope so, because otherwise the day this is pushed to stable is the day I won't be able to play OSU! anymore, OTL.
trexex55
i currently have no problems with this beta release. only a few stutters, framerate is still the same at 300-500 fps
Proxy

doomed151 wrote:

Just please don't push the OpenGL only build to Stable until Nvidia fixes their driver regarding OGL on 840M.
This will help you: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... ver-350.05

Make sure to completely uninstall your drivers etc with DDU.
Wylo

Proxy wrote:

doomed151 wrote:

This will help you: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... ver-350.05

Make sure to completely uninstall your drivers etc with DDU.
It won't. I've been through every driver version since 344.75 (now on 353.06) and not a single thing has changed. I have also reinstalled Windows a few times too with no avail.
Proxy
It should :/ Which error message are you getting anyways?

It worked perfectly for me. My GPU is the gtx 750.
Ryu Sei
After some updates and some researches, my Acer Aspire V5 runs osu! very smoothly on full-screen 800x600, and windowed 1064x600. Dunno why both native and borderless full-screen is laggy. The stutter in-game only appears on non-Vsync framerate.
Wylo

Proxy wrote:

It's not an error per se but a performance issue. Does it make sense to get 190 FPS in windowed/borderless and 41 FPS in fullscreen at the same resolution? I think it doesn't. I can't play with the input lag in windowed mode.
Ryu Sei
Also, did I forgot to say that osu! simply hungs up when the GFX driver crashes and restarts?
Proxy

doomed151 wrote:

Proxy wrote:

It's not an error per se but a performance issue. Does it make sense to get 190 FPS in windowed/borderless and 41 FPS in fullscreen at the same resolution? I think it doesn't. I can't play with the input lag in windowed mode.
Oh. I thought you were getting an error message. I'm not experiencing any performance issues.
Gunlexify
So far i have only one problem, i feel like there is a delay between when i move my mouse and when it moves in osu! The same also applies to catch the beat, when i press a key to move left/right there is a delay which makes it impossible to play at harder difficulties.

Laptop, mouse and settings:
SPOILER
Acer E1-570G
6Gb ram
Geforce GT-740M
Intel core i5-3337u 1.8Ghz-2.7Ghz
Mouse: Some canyon 1000dpi mouse

Settings:
Sensitivity: 2.0
+Raw input

Edit:
I switched back to the stable release and the delay is gone.
Ryu Sei
After updating either my system or osu! , the lag on borderless is gone. Woah.
Winner
I'm having some random stutters on the beta release client. I have previously had trouble with OpenGL regarding latency and have been directed to use DirectX. I have a single gtx 760 gpu with the latest drivers installed.
show more