forum

Beta release stream testing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Please help test out the Beta release stream if you can.

You will notice that you receive two updates. The first will bring you across to the beat stream, which will check whether you have .NET Framework v4 installed (and prompt you to complete the installation if not). The second one will bring you across to the new beta stream, running our cutting-edge opengl only code.

Leave all feedback about the update process in this thread please.

Current update path:

b20150514.9beta (.NET 2.0 migration build)
b20150514.10beta (.NET 4.0 final)
Multtari
Forced 60hz for some reason and lower than native resolution doesn't scale to monitor canvas when using OpenGL (Atleast with ways i normally use). Won't be using this.

No problems encountered in update process.
Topic Starter
peppy

Multtari wrote:

Forced 60hz for some reason and lower than native resolution doesn't scale to monitor canvas when using OpenGL (Atleast with ways i normally use). Won't be using this.

This is the future of osu! (coming in a week or two). You may want to give more details if you are having issues.
Zallius
Notes:

- Second update process reset osu! to full screen and reset frame limiter settings (unsure if intended).
- Supporter background doesn't re-adjust to fill post resolution change until entering song select and exiting back to menu.
Blaackys

peppy wrote:

Multtari wrote:

This is the future of osu! (coming in a week or two). You may want to give more details if you are having issues.
Does this mean that osu! will be forced to run at 60Hz in the future?
Topic Starter
peppy
No, it means we have things to fix. And you have more details to report so we can fix it.
Shiro
The update went smoothly, but after the second update, the resolution was reset to borderless and frame limiter to 120 fps. The splash had no transparency (it was a white square).
I couldn't replicate the background issue though, tried with both fullscreen and borderless.
Multtari

peppy wrote:

No, it means we have things to fix. And you have more details to report so we can fix it.
[quote="https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog?v=next":1337]Adapt to monitor's refresh rate instead of limiting many things to 60 frames per second.The refresh rate issue is probably because my desktop is running in native 60hz and game runs in 1776x1000 75hz fullscreen.

The scaling problem is a mystery and probably monitor specific. But i think it's because when running in OpenGL the game still thinks i'm on desktop even while in fullscreen (since the monitor settings provide same kind of scaling options on desktop as ingame opposed to DirectX which can be changed invidually)

Issues are fixed now. Thanks for your time!
Onii-chan
The second update reset some of the settings as others said (frame limiter to 120 and the resolution to fullscreen)

Other than that, I noticed that the game is a bit choppy during gameplay, I have moments when it stutters. Used to be really smooth before the update. (my PC is pretty good so I don't think it's hardware fault - i7-4790K, GTX 760, 8GB RAM)

No other issues found so far.
Mateux
The second update gave me a white bg with osu! logo.
My game was running at 1fps. I think that is because the game is using OpenGL now.
Proxy
The Beta build is awesome, i have very high fps and everything is so smooth, I haven't encountered any problems *yet*.
Yuzeyun
Update 2:
a) in taiko mode the framerate drops significantly as more objects are on the playfield. when I was on DX it was around 350-400 but now I'm topping around 260, goes down to 200 and below if there's a long stream. small occasional tearing happens but not extremely gameplay-breaking.

b) user panel preferences were reset. unsure if intended or even related.

small edit: c) testplaying a taiko map = immense stuttering that is gameplay-breaking
Poofin
When i click osu direct from the website, it doesn't open in game, nor does double clicking a osz file load up the beatmap in game, i have to drag it in to open the map.
Zeonive
My update went smoothly aswell. Now I have slightly more fps (from ave 1300fps to ave 1400fps) in the menus and a lower mouse latency (from max 6ms latency to max 2ms latency). However, during gameplay my fps began to vary more (from 950-1300fps to 600-2000fps). Except that, everything is fine.
Yauxo
Update went smooth (2nd Update from 92% to 99% took ages, but I think thats because of my shitty internet).

General other stuff:
- The window always resets itself into the middle of the screen when opening/closing editor, as well as entering the Testplay mode.

will update as soon as I notice sth
jwherp
All in all this current beta version works well and runs smooth for me even on my old outdated hardware ( a 2009 Gateway desktop), It actually ran smoother than our current stable version on open GL mode.
ElliottB1
The updater downloaded a file called osu!ui.dll. Does that mean it preloaded the upcoming osu!next?
And speaking of osu!next, does peppy treat it as an entirely separate game rather than a huge update?
Steffie
Why no more DirectX?
Gets massive lagspikes with opengl, literally cannot play with it, So this is kinda a big problem for me.
techbot

Stefive wrote:

Why no more DirectX?
well dotnet went open source...

edit:

no problems so far on the beta branch.
fiscotte
went from cutting-edge to beta, no problem encountered
Topic Starter
peppy

Mateux wrote:

The second update gave me a white bg with osu! logo.
My game was running at 1fps. I think that is because the game is using OpenGL now.
What graphics card?
Ciuriya
Went from cutting-edge to beta, no issues.
Getting higher fps and greatly reduced loading times. (loading times from ~1 second to nothing and from 1100 fps average to 1250 fps average)
Lust
Update ran smoothly with no hiccups. Everything plays well and actually noticeably better than when I ran opengl on stable. The white boxes that seemed to appear often in opengl on stable are nonexistant now, so I can finally play and map on the same release stream :') (boxes appeared in stable, not in cutting edge).
O2MasterFX
Update runs better, but with minor lag spikes (dropped around 10-20 fps). When fps is set to limited (180), it causes heavy tearing.
Dianto
On my PC, after getting update osu!beta, I don't get the minor lag spikes during play osu!, although the graphics card or sound card rarely gets an update (If I turn off the storyboard in the Options). Runs smoothly, faster response, and better than the version beta earlier. But, I want to ask, why is there no option DirectX? When I open the osu! by pressing the SHIFT key, in the Renderer, there is no option DirectX. Why osu! delete option DirectX?
-Konner-
I'm not sure if i'm just noticing it more because of looking for problems but i seem to be getting much more frequent frame drops whilst playing mania maps with videos than usual.

I know that turning the video off fixes that problem, its just that it seems to be happening more often and i don't play on a potato so its something that shouldn't happen as often as it seems to be (which is around 1 in 5 maps, sometimes at multiple points).
Yutsuten
The update process occurred smoothly here. And I haven't noticed any lag problem.

The only thing different I noticed was the performance graph that became ugly.
Paraphen
Update Went smooth and the game runs fine so far (except for one major lag spike, but i'm not 100% sure it was osu's fault)

love the song select sliders! and i'm certainly looking forward to osu!next 8-)
Proxy
I got this while osu was running: The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.
The application must close.

Error code: 7

I'm sure this will apply to everyone with a nvidia graphics card, it has been a huge problem with games who are using opengl as their renderer (like Minecraft)

(I only had osu! open)

Latest drivers are installed. GPU: Gtx 750

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
HaLD08
Been running for 3 hours straight. No update problems, no lag, no freeze, no problem whatsoever, video or not.
Works like a charm :)

FYI:
Cpu: i5 760 quad core @2.8 ghz
Gpu: GTX 660
8gb ram
Running Windows 7
show more