forum

Taiko - Don and Kat Colour Changing

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,164
Topic Starter
Jaye
I think it'd be neat if it were possible to change the colours of the Dons and Kats in Taiko (for personal use of course).

Benefits:
  1. More customisability
  2. May prevent colourblindness (which various new players often have issue with)

Concerns/Issues/Nonsense:
  1. "But mapping" - then just make it for individuals only
  2. "But people will flip don/kat to cheese patterns they can't hit" - right but you can also just invert your keybindings and/or cross your hands which achieves the same effect; furthermore, Mania was willing to accept mirror mode so I see no issue here
  3. "Just use transparency overlay for colours like orange" - and what about black/white?

I hope that others see the potential that such a feature would have when it comes to the uniqueness and personalisation of this game.
-Maus-
Why not, more customization is welcome.
drum drum
i always had the idea of making kat red and don blue
abraker

drum drum wrote:

XD

Well I don't see why not.
ikin5050
Force custom skin on your map
Get ranked
Fuck people over

Troll complete
abraker

drum drum wrote:

ikin5050 wrote:

Force custom skin on your map
Get ranked
Fuck people over
Troll complete
1) I question if a map of that sort will be approved for rank
2) Just change key mapping
drum drum
i doubt it will be overridden by beatmap skin if implemented though
Bara-
I'm quite sure this has been requested before, but for the love of sake I can't find it >_<
It was requested against colourblindness
Or I'm confused with that thread about different shapes >_<
drum drum

baraatje123 wrote:

I'm quite sure this has been requested before, but for the love of sake I can't find it >_<
It was requested against colourblindness
Or I'm confused with that thread about different shapes >_<
the only thread i found was the one about shapes when I searched zzz
IamBaum
Wait whaat... changing the colour is not possible? Why did you always lie to me orange and green circles :(

As a little tip, you can use a transparent layer on the TaikoHitCircleOverlay, to change the colours of the don/kats to 2 different colours.
In this screenshot i used a transparent yellow colour, therefore the yellow and red colour got combined to orange, and yellow + blue = green.

You can experiment quite alot with this, maybe u can find something u like, until this Feature request or another request that enables skinning don and kat seperately gets released.

But good luck with this, i also would love to see more skinning options for taiko :)
Conor
Topic Starter
Jaye

IamBaum wrote:

you can use a transparent layer on the TaikoHitCircleOverlay

Conor wrote:

For example, if you take taikohitcircle.png and make it yellow, it will multiply with red/blue and you will end up with orange/green.
Ahh but for me specifically, I would use Black Dons and White Kats, so how am I going to do that...
IamBaum

dajayeway wrote:

IamBaum wrote:

you can use a transparent layer on the TaikoHitCircleOverlay

Conor wrote:

For example, if you take taikohitcircle.png and make it yellow, it will multiply with red/blue and you will end up with orange/green.
Ahh but for me specifically, I would use Black Dons and White Kats, so how am I going to do that...
I'm afraid that Black/White won't work with this method, at least i can't imagine how to do that.
Topic Starter
Jaye

IamBaum wrote:

I'm afraid that Black/White won't work with this method, at least i can't imagine how to do that.
Yeah exactly :P Hence why I'd like this feature to be implemented! :D
Zoe
For justice :3
Shmiklak
I don't play taiko but still nice idea
Seijiro
I'm usually a traditionalist, routing always for things how they were meant to be from the start, but this requests just tempts me to check how yellow/violet or orange/green patterns look like *^*
It could also let skinners create some cool theme skins (ever wanted a sakura petals taiko skin? Or an underwater one? >.<)

I would really love to see it implemented if possible :)
Pituophis
Dont play taiko, but this seems like a good idea. More customization options is always good.
AdventTechno
Sounds really cool. Though I think the method discussed now isn't very good. Separating the skinnable elements for individual colouring wouldn't be very helpful. Ex:
SPOILER
"taikohitcircleoverlay-don"
"taikohitcircleoverlay-kat"
"taikobigcircleoverlay-don"
"taikobigcircleoverlay-kat"
This would make it to where we would still have to mix the original red/blue colours of the Don and Kat with the colours in the separate overlay images to output the colour we want. So this isn't the best way to go about it.

The best way, I think, to do this is a new [Taiko] category in the skin.ini which defines the Don and Kat colours. Could look something like this:
SPOILER
[Taiko]
ColourDon: R,G,B,a
ColourKat: R,G,B,a
Seeing as though we already have literally every other gamemode in the Skin.ini, it might just be time to get Taiko a spot in it :)

(And for beatmaps with custom skins, we already have "Ignore all beatmap skins" for all maps, per-map "Ignore beatmap skin" from the Visual Settings before the map plays, and of course maps which abuse colouring will not be ranked for unplayable colouring in the custom skin of their beatmap :))
Bara-
That'd be a good addition
Making it accessible via the skin.ini under colors
Topic Starter
Jaye

Bara- wrote:

That'd be a good addition
Making it accessible via the skin.ini under colors
This would be simple, I remember tampering with skin.ini in a hopeless attempt to change don and kat colours.
JibriI
This... This.

I wish I had more stars...
Underforest
we still need this :(
sorry for bump tho
Kin
blind color could be happy
Edgar_Figaro
Only problem I see with this is people could use it to invert a map. Basically for instance if the player is better hitting dons than kats in an extremely kat heavy map they could just make Don Blue and Kat Red and then switch the keybinds to invert as well. Voile you'd have a map that was easier to play for your play style.
o x

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Only problem I see with this is people could use it to invert a map. Basically for instance if the player is better hitting dons than kats in an extremely kat heavy map they could just make Don Blue and Kat Red and then switch the keybinds to invert as well. Voile you'd have a map that was easier to play for your play style.
I don't see how this is a problem though it's not really giving an unfair advantage to anyone, just because someone decides to change the colours of don/Kat doesn't mean it makes them better at the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ARysk18
Great idea, but it's been 4 years? Osu? Are you still awake?
Carmlillball
I wholeheartedly agree with this!
-Aku
please add this, I want to use white and black kats and dons, red and blue is hard for me to read especially with the kiai flashing (ik i can make it so that kiai doesn't change playfield colors but i dont want to do that)
Creameries
might get hated for unarchiving this but considering skinning contests exists, we need this fr
Ikira
it's still important
Namfu
it's still important