forum

Hard SS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
s7ana
So when do you start getting SS scores on Hard? Like average current level/play count/account age.

Just wondering. Oh, and I don't know if I am posting in the right forum. Just thought "General Discussion" would work since this is about osu!.
Mofu kun
still don't
silmarilen
if you dont know if you're posting in the right place, dont you think it would be a good idea to read the announcements first?

anyway, i probably started SSing hards a couple of weeks/months in, at a couple k playcount.
Shohei Ohtani
I don't get why people think there is a timeline to getting better at a game

Like, it's like when people have babies and they're like "HE HASN'T WALKED AND IT'S BEEN 4 MONTHS I read on mommy blog that they should be walking"

Like you start SSing hards when you start SSing hards.

There's only 2 things that affect this

1) Your basic understanding of rhythm and hand-eye coordination. If you're not very familiar with rhythm, then it's going to take longer, since you won't be able to break things down into their core rhythmic values. Rather than seeing it in terms of notes or beats, you're seeing it in terms of "HERE'S THE CIRCLES GOTTA HURRY UP." Understanding rhythm is essential to being able to sightread patterns. Alongside that, understanding tropes in mapping is important to getting that basis of rhythm. Mappers have certain ways they handle certain rhythms, and understanding that is essential to being able to successfully play maps

2) The amount of time you put into it, as well as the quality of that time. I'm a tubist, and when I practice, I have to make sure not only that I practice daily, but that my practice is effective. I can spend an hour just fucking around with scales or something, or sightreading, and I'll be like "yeah, I practice for a whole hour" It's about practicing efficiently to make sure you're making steady progress.

A quote my instructor uses is "If you want to learn something fast, learn it slow, and if you want to learn something slow, take it fast." tl;dr, practicing slow and making sure you have a solid foundation allows you to get better quicker, than doing the "I'll push myself to the hardest I can play over and over again and I'll get better." Don't worry about playing insanes, but work on creating a solid foundation, into which you can sightread maps without problems, and you understand basic patterns, before understanding the complex.

I really don't get why a timeline is so important, especially because everyone starts and improves at their own rate. You're not garunteed to get good quick. Back when I played the game, I spent about 2 years and only could play hards. You'll be able to SS Hards when you're able to SS Hards.

Just play the game hahahahh it's a fucking game
drum drum
moved to gameplay & rankings
Yuudachi-kun

ASwarmOfKittenz wrote:

So when do you start getting SS scores on Hard? Like average current level/play count/account age.

Just wondering. Oh, and I don't know if I am posting in the right forum. Just thought "General Discussion" would work since this is about osu!.

I don't and I have 4200pp because there's no point unless you want to improve - just move on to full comboing harder and harder songs.
Barusamikosu
It really comes down to how much time you put into playing Hards. There are a lot of 4/5 digit rank players that can play AR9 Insanes but are unable to play AR7/8 Hards.

The mapping style of Hards compared to Insanes is a lot different, so rushing to Insanes may not necessarily make you better at Hards. Hards tend to be very slider heavy, so you should take care to try to keep rhythm and avoid sliderbreaking.

It may be better to think about individual maps that you can SS, instead of reaching the point that you can SS all Hard maps. Hards are hard. There are Hard maps even I have trouble SS'ing right away.

When you play through a map that you feel like you could possibly SS, add that map to your collection (I keep an SS folder for various maps), and try to go for SS when you feel ready.
EneT
Yo I can't even SS 2.5-3.0 stars so don't even bother worrying about SSing Hards.
bigfeh

CDFA wrote:

autoteleology

CDFA wrote:

1) Your basic understanding of rhythm and hand-eye coordination. If you're not very familiar with rhythm, then it's going to take longer, since you won't be able to break things down into their core rhythmic values. Rather than seeing it in terms of notes or beats, you're seeing it in terms of "HERE'S THE CIRCLES GOTTA HURRY UP." Understanding rhythm is essential to being able to sightread patterns. Alongside that, understanding tropes in mapping is important to getting that basis of rhythm. Mappers have certain ways they handle certain rhythms, and understanding that is essential to being able to successfully play maps
Where can I go to learn about things like this? I've been painfully aware of my lack of knowledge in this area since before I've played osu!, but I don't even know where to start. I know literally zero about the science of music.
E m i
when you're ready
Friendan

CDFA wrote:

Mofu kun wrote:

still don't

Kheldragar wrote:

just move on to full comboing harder and harder songs.

[ Momiji ] wrote:

when you're ready
these

Philosofikal wrote:

Where can I go to learn about things like this? I've been painfully aware of my lack of knowledge in this area since before I've played osu!, but I don't even know where to start. I know literally zero about the science of music.
They're beats. They're as you hear them, nothing too special, it's not like if you have musical knowledge it would help in this game, well, maybe a little with timing(?).
bigfeh
Timing is pretty much natural to the human brain, and so is music. That's why we know it's music when we hear it, we like it for the most part and know generally how fast a song is (not talking numbers, but you can easily find the beat by, say, tapping to the rhythm)
Topic Starter
s7ana
Well, I've S'd some Hard difficulties. I guess I can say that I'm slowly making my way there. Oh, and thanks for the responses everyone. I think I've learned a few things.
Vuelo Eluko

bigfeh wrote:

Timing is pretty much natural to the human brain, and so is music. That's why we know it's music when we hear it, we like it for the most part and know generally how fast a song is (not talking numbers, but you can easily find the beat by, say, tapping to the rhythm)
i used to just tap along to songs in 1/1, now whenever im listening to music i alternate in 1/4, people look at me like im crazy in public
B1rd
Don't worry about SSing hards, SSing OD6 isn't really a milestone.
pandaBee
You SS hards when you git gud.
Purple
Never
bigfeh
Truth is you move on to insanes before you SS hards, unless you enjoy suffering
buny
There's really no reason to SS hards unless you aren't ever planning to get better or you enjoy not having to see 100s
I Give Up
Try SS every diff in mapset, very fun.
Yuudachi-kun

buny wrote:

There's really no reason to SS hards unless you aren't ever planning to get better or you enjoy not having to see 100s
Make 100s transparent

problem solved.
Raniemi
I regret farming ~750 SS on hard
Floob
SS is just an urban legend
buny

Kheldragar wrote:

buny wrote:

Make 100s transparent

problem solved.
yeah but deep down you know you got a 100
Barusamikosu

KukiMonster wrote:

Try SS every diff in mapset, very fun.
I enjoy going for mapset SS too.
pandaBee

Raniemi wrote:

I regret farming ~750 SS on hard
It's not too late to change your ways.
Barusamikosu
Yay 1k SS
sottovoce

Philosofikal wrote:

CDFA wrote:

Having a knowledge of music is absolutely useless for osu. Almost every single song is in a 4/4 or 3/4 metre. It's much more a physical skill than a cerebral one. The point about knowing mappers styles is a true one, but it has nothing to do with musical theory. In fact, thinking about the game in musical terms might actually do more harm than good, as maps often do not logically follow what is happening the music. This is especially the case in harder maps. I don't think this is a bad thing at all, it is just that an osu! beatmap is not equivalent (or even remotely similar) to a piece of music.

As for where you can go to learn about music theory, well there's countless resources available online. I'm sure you can easily find some starting points via googling. It's fascinating at a high level but you'll have to get past the boring basics + terminology barrier first. Theory of music is never a science, though - unless you mean stuff like the physics of audio etc (which I personally know nothing about, so will leave it there, but it is a valid area of study).

source: About to graduate with a degree in music
Karuta-_old_1

sottovoce wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

Having a knowledge of music is absolutely useless for osu. Almost every single song is in a 4/4 or 3/4 metre. It's much more a physical skill than a cerebral one. The point about knowing mappers styles is a true one, but it has nothing to do with musical theory. In fact, thinking about the game in musical terms might actually do more harm than good, as maps often do not logically follow what is happening the music. This is especially the case in harder maps. I don't think this is a bad thing at all, it is just that an osu! beatmap is not equivalent (or even remotely similar) to a piece of music.

source: About to graduate with a degree in music
This guy knows what he is talking and CDFA pretty much mentioned only about rhythm and hand-eye coordination, the game is just simple as that

ontopic: You get SS by being able to read the map and is able to keep up, I don't know how people nowadays just try to push themselves to ar10.33 and forget about ar9.66 and below