forum

Using Tablets

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mahogany
I never found a tablet difficult to adjust to. Once I got a tablet, I immediately jumped from FCing 3 star maps to FCing 4 star maps.

They're not more difficult, just unfamiliar to most people initially.
bigfeh
Nothing's inherently harder, it all depends on your expertise with the tablet vs your expertise with the mouse. I've seen people get from 140k to 20k in two weeks of buying a tablet but I don't think I would see much improvement if I were to buy one myself, especially since I'm probably more skilled with the mouse than with a tablet (given that I don't play the tablet).

That's interesting, though - I often see people saying they prefer the tablet over the mouse. Either way, it's really down to preference
ZenithPhantasm

Rayne Sylvania wrote:

Ive always been seeing people saying that they are troubled in using a tablet and ive been wondering myself why it sounds difficult.

What makes tablets much more difficult to use?
No. My tablet aim is a little below half of my mouse aim after playing just a couple hours (in total) over a course of several months. Just play more and work on your reading abilities.
Nyxa

bigfeh wrote:

Either way, it's really down to preference
Pretty much the thread.

Tablet can be harder because it gives less stability. Mouse can be harder because it gives less mobility. That's about it.
ZenithPhantasm

Tess wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Pretty much the thread.

Tablet can be harder because it gives less stability. Mouse can be harder because it gives less mobility. That's about it.
Lets not forget absolute tracking which is the main reason why anyone would want to play osu! with a tablet.
lit120
Well i have a problem when i'm using a tablet:
1. Right wet hand
2. Miss the circle
3. Bad at aim
bigfeh

Tess wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Pretty much the thread.

My play area with the mouse is probably shit compared to your tablet's active area

lit120 wrote:

Well i have a problem when i'm using a tablet:
1. Right wet hand
2. Miss the circle
3. Bad at aim
you just listed three problems
Nyxa
I considered absolute tracking but didn't mention it since the decreased stability evens it out with mouse.

Bigfeh: How can you say that without knowing which tablet I use?
Mahogany
Because bigfeh's play area is REALLY shit
bigfeh

Tess wrote:

I considered absolute tracking but didn't mention it since the decreased stability evens it out with mouse.

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Because bigfeh's play area is REALLY shit
ZenithPhantasm

Tess wrote:

Have anyone considered DRAGGING with the tablet?
Nyxa
Has anyone considered buying new nibs every two weeks because they drag their stylus into oblivion?
bigfeh
Have you guys considered, uh, mice?
Pituophis
Switched from mouse to tablet about a month ago. Aim is worse then when I used mouse, and improvement with tablet has been really slow for me. Only upsides are I can make jumps I couldn't make before and can pass higher star maps, albeit poorly . Unfortunately I can not use mouse to save my life now. Kind of regretting my switch to tablet. Oh well.

Tess wrote:

Has anyone considered buying new nibs every two weeks because they drag their stylus into oblivion?
my nib is fine I think I have 3 or 4 more weeks of usage, and I drag HARD.
ZenithPhantasm

Tess wrote:

Have anyone considered a metal nib? They have that you know.
I Give Up
I don't drag or hover. I glide :lol:
ZenithPhantasm

KukiMonster wrote:

I don't drag or hover. I glide :lol:
ninjastarr
i started osu ~ 4 years ago, draw using my tablet fairly frequently, and have replaced my nib a total of 5 times i think
Nyxa
Dragging is a drag for me, no pun intended
sottovoce

Pituophis wrote:

Switched from mouse to tablet about a month ago. Aim is worse then when I used mouse, and improvement with tablet has been really slow for me. Only upsides are I can make jumps I couldn't make before and can pass higher star maps, albeit poorly . Unfortunately I can not use mouse to save my life now. Kind of regretting my switch to tablet. Oh well.

Tess wrote:

my nib is fine I think I have 3 or 4 more weeks of usage, and I drag HARD.

I don't think I drag that hard and I only get a week (or two, if I'm not playing that much) out of each nib. :( :(
I even use a hybrid hover/drag style.

The nib is still useable after a couple of weeks but I notice just slight friction/erratic movement with the pen getting very slightly stuck which seriously gets on my nerves. The best comparison I can think of is a razorblade. You only get the beautiful smooth shave with a completely fresh razor, same with a tablet nib.
usa
Mouse Pros:
1) Apparently you can spin faster at the highest levels
2) More responsive generally speaking
3) You use mouse more on a daily basis unless you are some kind of graphics artist, so muscle memory doesn't get lost as easily assuming you use consistent dpi and sens settings in-game and out
4) More inexpensive and easier to replace generally speaking

Mouse Cons:
1) Mouse drift
2) Mouse weight & Cord weight
3) Relative tracking & Inconsistency from shitty trackers/in-built mouse acceleration

Tablet Pros:
1) Absolute tracking
2) Virtually no weight

Tablet Cons:
1) Lower response times (unless you shelve out hundreds of dollars for a graphics designer tablet)
2) Depending on your grip and area size, concentrated strain on your wrist
3) D/C issues
4) Wears out quicker and more expensive/difficult to purchase/replace
Vuelo Eluko
I kind of disagree on most of the tablet cons really being a thing.
bigfeh

Riince wrote:

I kind of disagree on most of the tablet cons really being a thing.
As for the mouse cons, they're nonexistent for me.

1) I have no (noticeable?) mouse drift
2) My mouse, which is one of the lightest, would be extremely hard to control if it were significantly lighter than it is (there is such a thing as a mouse too light)
3) I don't ever break the perfect tracking speed for my sensor so it's about as accurate as, say, your tablet

Your point?

@edit
and the tablet cons are pretty much very real - they're more expensive, harder to find than mice and they usually have higher latency and lower polling rates, since they're not meant for, you know, playing a rhythm game

then again, they only really wear out faster than mice if you drag your pen, so there's also that
ZenithPhantasm
Almost all mice have smoothing to some extent. G400S and DA2013 are two great examples of mice with slight cursor lag.