forum

Should I? Or should I not? (Need opinions)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Boomdopew
So I started to get back in Osu! around 5-6 months ago, and I play the mouse mainly, keyboard for streams and stuff (Still bad at it :o )

To the main point, should I get a tablet? My old mouse, a Razer Deathadder died on me T_T and all I have is some cheapo mouse I had before I got the Deathadder. Kinda looking into the Logitech g402 atm and know that there are some tablets at a similar price... BUT WAIT I don't plan to use it only for Osu! I plan to use it to (learn to) draw(skill level : 0) as well. And it looks fun too~

So here is the few questions I have to ask.

1) Despite my " "skill level" ", is it still a good idea to get a tablet?

2) Tho not related, but does anyone know any nice beatmaps to practice streaming?

3) And if it is a good idea, tablet recommendations would be nice :D

Yea and thanks~
Barusamikosu
1) It's not too early. I started from day 1 with a tablet (but went through two upgrades).
2) You could try the lists on this page (start with the low BPM maps). I think at your level you may get more out of working on your finger control with triples and short streams before hopping right into deathstreams.
3) Huion 420 or Wacom CTL-480. Both are good for osu. Get the Wacom if you're planning to draw.
Infevo
I bought a tablet only for osu! but end up using it for several other thing in addition. Got the ctl 480 pretty soon after playing the game with mouse first and wouldnt go back. This does not mean I'd recommend anyone to play with tablet. There are not only a lot of people who have shown that a mouse player can do as fine but many also simply do prefer playing with mouse because they just like the controls and the feel.

Just ask yourself if you'd like to play it with pen in your cursor hand instead of a mouse and if you prefer the absolute over the relative aim. If yes, then just buy a tablet. I don't think you'll regret it. Just keep in mind adjusting to the tablet might take a while. It is a lot different from mouse. Give it a good try before making up your mind.

@streaming practice
I would highly recommend to download some of the streaming practice compilations. there is also an interesting deathstream compilation which goes up in bpm the more you proceed through the map. The way I practice streams in addition:
-I like to play triples/quad/double practice maps to improve my stream timing for the first circle of the stream
-I map my own maps according to the bpm i want to practice. just pick a song you particularly like out of your library, open it in the editor and save it as a new diff for your own purposes. delete all former elements and just map your own very simple sequences in 1/4 (this is the snap divisor which is used in most cases to map 16th notes in music terms). you can even copy and paste your mapping to finish your work faster. later on you still can adjust distance snap, approach rate and circle size. but keep your overall difficulty as high as you can comfortably adjust your accuracy. if the od is set too high beginners might have trouble to adjust to the right timing during streaming. once you are a little more familiar you can still increase the od. if the map is timed well inititially i wouldn't argue against od10 if you don't have trouble keeping up 300s before stamina leaves you.

just like any other skill in the game (aim, acc, reading, speed and so on) streaming skills aren't aquired over night. you'll sometimes have to repeat tedious practice sessions more often due to not many maps having stream sections compared to read intensive/aim intensive sections. later on you'll encounter more and more streams; sometimes they can break your neck if you're not prepared and most players really lack in that regard because really few take the time and practice streams in particular.
bigfeh

Infevo wrote:

I bought a tablet only for osu! but end up using it for several other thing in addition. Got the ctl 480 pretty soon after playing the game with mouse first and wouldnt go back. This does not mean I'd recommend anyone to play with tablet. There are not only a lot of people who have shown that a mouse player can do as fine but many also simply do prefer playing with mouse because they just like the controls and the feel.

Just ask yourself if you'd like to play it with pen in your cursor hand instead of a mouse and if you prefer the absolute over the relative aim. If yes, then just buy a tablet. I don't think you'll regret it. Just keep in mind adjusting to the tablet might take a while. It is a lot different from mouse. Give it a good try before making up your mind.
Pretty much spot-on here

As for streaming, simply stream more. Remember not to overdo it so you don't develop too many bad habits - finger coordination is more important than speed at first
ZenithPhantasm
You cant go wrong with Logitech
Endaris
Tablet and mouse both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore it's more important to ask what you want to play with as there is no evidence of different skill ceilings for these input devices.
However, a lot of people that are still playing lower star ratings find a tablet very helpful as it makes some things more intuitive due to the increased mobility(losing the stability of a mouse doesn't matter much at that level).
So I guess if you'd have any possible use for a tablet outside of osu! just go for it and try what you like more.
Mahogany
Do you care enough about the game to consider a tablet a worthwhile investment? Do you see yourself playing this game for months to come?
ZenithPhantasm

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Do you care enough about the game to consider a tablet a worthwhile investment? Do you see yourself playing this game for months to come?
No
Mahogany

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

No
then ur bad kappa
bigfeh
To mouse or not to mouse - that is the question

edited because lyrics were shit :(
beldaran
Yep definitely not too early to switch to a tablet. I had already been playing for like 3 months and was working on FCing 4*~ then ended up switching to a tablet. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it. But it really is all preference. I would recommend if you have a friend who has a tablet, to see if you can borrow it to check if it's right for you. As for tablets, I use the Intuos Pen from Wacom. It does me well, and it was fairly cheap around $80 USD IIRC. (Also I draw with it sometimes which is always fun and something to pick up so it doesn't feel like a total waste of money LOL)

As for streaming, I wish I could help you there. I don't know how I did it, or what maps I played to hone that skill. It just clicked for me one day when I turned the game on. I guess the play more thing everyone throws around here has a BIT of truth to it...
bigfeh

beldaran wrote:

As for streaming, I wish I could help you there. I don't know how I did it, or what maps I played to hone that skill. It just clicked for me one day when I turned the game on. I guess the play more thing everyone throws around here has a BIT of truth to it...
A bit of truth? Jeez, do you think we all have some insider secret that instantly makes you cookiezi? Because it's just down to playing more
beldaran

bigfeh wrote:

beldaran wrote:

A bit of truth? Jeez, do you think we all have some insider secret that instantly makes you cookiezi? Because it's just down to playing more
:^)
It was just a bit of sarcasm.
but seriously buy a tablet and you'll become as good if not better than cookiezi
trebby
1. If you feel like you'll be playing osu for a while, then go for a tablet.
2. Try these beatmaps called "Mendes" and "End Time (Another diff)".
3. If you're looking for something that's cheap and works for osu, get the Huion 420 or the osu!tablet. If you want something that looks and functions better, buy the Wacom CTL-480s.
Friendan

beldaran wrote:

but seriously buy a tablet and you'll become as good if not better than cookiezi
Friendok did not have a tablet and he could dt SS all.the maps cookiezi could barely pass.
Anyways, go with whichever you feel comfortable. If you're unsure, then try out a friend's if you can. I've never used a tablet, but I know I'd either be "the hacker" or I'd completely suck with it.
Yuudachi-kun
Wtf is "the hacker"
ZenithPhantasm

Friendan wrote:

beldaran wrote:

Friendok did not have a tablet and he could dt SS all.the maps cookiezi could barely pass.
Anyways, go with whichever you feel comfortable. If you're unsure, then try out a friend's if you can. I've never used a tablet, but I know I'd either be "the hacker" or I'd completely suck with it.
This Friendok guy doesn't exist.
Friendan
yes he does
he lives in Bahrain
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62386?f=13&t=62386

Kheldragar wrote:

Wtf is "the hacker"
Meant a hacker, as in I would rank up super quickly just because I got a tablet. I don't believe it, though.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

your mom
was thinking about posting that
Yuudachi-kun

Kheldragar wrote:

Wtf is "the hacker"
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Wtf is "the hacker"
Your mom
I Give Up
It is never too early or late to get tablet.