forum

[resolved] Random FPS Spikes and Drops

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IxWolfie
!EDIT! Yeah I figured it out myself, I just reinstalled osu! so yeah; if you're having this issue first thing is to probably try getting rid of the graphical additions; changing to OpenGL and if none of that works try reinstalling it.

Problem Details:
While I'm playing, I'll get usually 200 - 400 FPS. (Unlimited) and recently, I've been dropping to 70, 80, 100, 50, 40, 30. Stuff that gets so low that it's near unplayable since I'm used to smooth 300 - 400 FPS. (Rarely 200, maps like Centipedes I got about 190 on but still.)

I've also noticed that if I'm scrolling through the songs menu, maps that have a ranked grade (D - SS); my FPS will be at about 200. If I'm over maps that don't have ranked status, I'll get 60-80ish. It's weird, and I don't really get it.

While playing, it'll drop to that FPS and literally stay there until I fail or the song ends. It's really weird, and I don't get it. .-.
I changed some parts to my mash-up skin and it seems to run a little better, but not really that much better. It also seems to start getting weird at 150 - 200x combo; it doesn't do it before then.

Any help is appreciated!

*Excuse the really bad playing on the gameplay portion of this; it's hard taking a picture and trying not to fail at the same time and I was too lazy to rebind the screenshot key. XD*

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
abraker
Sounds all weird to me. Do you leave osu! open for extended periods of time? Also try getting process explorer and screenshot the disk usage as you are receiving the lag. I know my antivirus sometimes gives me some lag while it is doing stuff in the background.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

Sounds all weird to me. Do you leave osu! open for extended periods of time? Also try getting process explorer and screenshot the disk usage as you are receiving the lag. I know my antivirus sometimes gives me some lag while it is doing stuff in the background.
Well I quickly pulled up Task Manager and glanced at its CPU usage even while downloading something with Chrome and it was below 50%...
It's a peculiar problem, granted I haven't been playing osu that long; I've never seen this happen. Avast seems to not want to do anything, and it usually sits below Chrome, and well below Osu with it's processor usage. Additionally, osu seems to be using more of my cpu than Chrome is, however still relatively low compared to my quad-core. It's all weird to me too, it never used to do it. :/ I'm on a relatively old computer, sure, but it shouldn't be this droppy. (If that's a word or term.)

Switching the graphics style from DirectX to OpenGL seems to do nothing either.

Is there a slight chance that the letter grading is pulling my FPS down? Changing the stars on the menu seemed to increase it; so maybe the letters are too HD or something? I don't know.
abraker
I said disk usage, not CPU usage. On modern systems, CPU is rarely the cause of FPS drop. Instead, usually the bottleneck is the GPU (lagging all the time then) or in some cases the disk usage (occasional lag spikes). Depending on how the settings are on your PC, doing disk I/O may slow down the computer.

To test it, compress a large file using winrar, around 500 MB or more, using maximum compression to be sure
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

I said disk usage, not CPU usage. On modern systems, CPU is rarely the cause of FPS drop. Instead, usually the bottleneck is the GPU (lagging all the time then) or in some cases the disk usage (occasional lag spikes). Depending on how the settings are on your PC, doing disk I/O may slow down the computer.

To test it, compress a large file using winrar, around 500 MB or more, using maximum compression to be sure
My first reaction was "What the heck is 500 MB or more on my PC?" and instantly, I decided that I'd go to my osu! songs folder.
(5.45 GB and 5.47 GB on disk) and selected "Add to "Songs.rar" which brought up the compression process meter thing.

I saw some... Obvious FPS dropping, by some I mean it was almost identical, but after a few seconds versus getting to 200x.
So if that's one issue, or maybe the main issue; how do I fix that?

*Just in case "add" and "compress" didn't do the same thing; I selected "Compress to "songs.rar"" and it didn't seem to do anything different than doing "add to songs.rar". So I do believe a main problem might be disk usage, but why is it doing it just now and not before?*
abraker
It will be best to catch what might be using up your resources when it happens. Don't use task manager as it doesn't give enough info, go ahead and get process explorer.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

It will be best to catch what might be using up your resources when it happens. Don't use task manager as it doesn't give enough info, go ahead and get process explorer.
What tab or what section should I be looking for to specifically find that out?
(I was looking around a bit, and I did find an I/O section tab, with the System Information tab.)
abraker
Just keep it in summary and see what spikes up when you get lag. You can go to the corresponding tab after that.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

Just keep it in summary and see what spikes up when you get lag. You can go to the corresponding tab after that.
CPU Usage is the only one that's really spiking with osu.

osu!.exe and mbam.exe are the only two on that small spike, from scrolling over it.

However, now that I glance at it again I/O is spiking a little after (to my knowledge) when osu! is lagging. The only thing on osu is mbam.exe
Kinda weird how it didn't do it the first time, but it's dong it now :/

*mbam.exe is Malwarebytes; which I can see why it's spiking I/O; however it's doing it WITHOUT malwarebytes being on. I'll close it and take another picture of another spike if need-be.*
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

Nothing conclusive found, however the spikes seem to happen when the red is higher than the green; however the bars are both too low for me to test this without malwarebytes open; and malwarebytes causes it whilst it is open. While Malwarebytes is closed, it still happens; it's still noticeable, however it's not as long.

It's always in the same exact spot, so I'm thinking it's osu! based.
VeilStar
See if setting the priority of osu!.exe to 'hiigh' helps? (If it does it's an issue with other processes trying to acces system resources at the same time.)
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

VeilStar wrote:

See if setting the priority of osu!.exe to 'hiigh' helps? (If it does it's an issue with other processes trying to acces system resources at the same time.)
I do remember at one point when I was opening osu I did Control + Alt + Delete to get to the Task Manager (Control + Shift + Escape is too weird for me sometimes, and I'm too used to Control + Alt + Delete) Anyways. It said something about how my Graphics Card Memory was too low or something, and I should try switching my graphics style to OpenGL; and that didn't fix anything.

Additionally, when I attempt to sometimes click Chrome or Skype from osu! it tends to lag horribly, and I have to close osu! and restart it or wait for my computer to figure it out. I play in windowed mode, at 1280x800 in case it helps any.

Nope.
That didn't change anything. :/
abraker

IxWolfie wrote:

Anyways. It said something about how my Graphics Card Memory was too low or something, and I should try switching my graphics style to OpenGL; and that didn't fix anything.
Screenshot the GPU tab a bit after the lag hits
BillyBaka
hi,

i am having some sort of the same problems. lets explain a little bit...

my usual setup use opengl.

since some time maybe a week or little more, i have desync / lag issues like the map will jump ahead or late to the music.

i search here on the forums to see a lag thread so i tried directx. its different timing so i have a hard time playing on directx seems a bit better
but then again it desync or randomly getting offset.

ive also seen this thread https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/207477 been a year ago so i dont know but that's the feeling i have in game

there's a fact i would like to mention and that is : its seems laggy / worst since i'm supporting ...

right now ill do some test trying to disable anti-virus program and see.. i was feeling that it was over the network kinda problem either bancho / routing ect ...
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

BillyBankai wrote:

hi,

i am having some sort of the same problems. lets explain a little bit...

my usual setup use opengl.

since some time maybe a week or little more, i have desync / lag issues like the map will jump ahead or late to the music.

i search here on the forums to see a lag thread so i tried directx. its different timing so i have a hard time playing on directx seems a bit better
but then again it desync or randomly getting offset.

ive also seen this thread https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/207477 been a year ago so i dont know but that's the feeling i have in game

there's a fact i would like to mention and that is : its seems laggy / worst since i'm supporting ...

right now ill do some test trying to disable anti-virus program and see.. i was feeling that it was over the network kinda problem either bancho / routing ect ...

Your problem seems to be similar, but different. I'm getting lag spikes in the actual gameplay, to the point where it becomes unplayable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your problem seems to be that it's connection lag; and your FPS is staying stable?
BillyBaka
yes fps are fine like i said im on the impression that is network / bancho related ... for some reasons today it seems pretty fine like maybe some weirdness once or twice but its really good idk i think it comes from server or bancho or both ^^ for now im good like today it went pretty well so far

after a week of weirdness

but for your problem it would maybe help to have your pc specs

just as exemple intel cpu / nvidia /x58 chipset i get more fps in directx than opengl but opengl feels smoother.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

IxWolfie wrote:

Anyways. It said something about how my Graphics Card Memory was too low or something, and I should try switching my graphics style to OpenGL; and that didn't fix anything.
Screenshot the GPU tab a bit after the lag hits
I can't find a spot that shows me GPU (I did click "Select Columns" and I did select everything that applied to GPU, went to Properties; didn't see a tab for it. Even reloaded the program, still can't find it. I go to "Load Column Set" and it doesn't bring up a menu, but I have 2 saved (0 and 1)).

So. :/
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

BillyBankai wrote:

yes fps are fine like i said im on the impression that is network / bancho related ... for some reasons today it seems pretty fine like maybe some weirdness once or twice but its really good idk i think it comes from server or bancho or both ^^ for now im good like today it went pretty well so far

after a week of weirdness

but for your problem it would maybe help to have your pc specs

just as exemple intel cpu / nvidia /x58 chipset i get more fps in directx than opengl but opengl feels smoother.
I'm pretty sure my PC hand handle osu, it's never done this before.

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad-Core Processor (2.4ghz)
8GB of System Memory (RAM)
750 GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD 3650 (Which can really pull it's own weight, for a free PC; this is actually okay. I have a PC getting fixed atm so)
64-Bit Windows.

It doesn't do this on ANY other game, so I think it's safe to say either osu! hogs more CPU / GPU power than most other games; or it's just weird. I can play League of Legends fine, no FPS drops or spikes; but osu recently just wants to fail.

*According to Peppy on another thread, a guy running an i3 shouldn't see spikes or drops in FPS.*
abraker

IxWolfie wrote:

I can't find a spot that shows me GPU (I did click "Select Columns" and I did select everything that applied to GPU, went to Properties; didn't see a tab for it. Even reloaded the program, still can't find it. I go to "Load Column Set" and it doesn't bring up a menu, but I have 2 saved (0 and 1)).
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

IxWolfie wrote:

Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

IxWolfie wrote:

I don't think it'll work, because from what I've seen; it only works on newer systems (7/8) and I'm running a backup Vista PC while either my main PC gets fixed or I buy a new one.
abraker
Oh, GPU is displayed win 7 or up. Don't know what to do from here. other than question why you still have the worst OS in existence.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

Oh, GPU is displayed win 7 or up. Don't know what to do from here. other than question why you still have the worst OS in existence.
Hm.
It seems to be only osu! which has problems, even more graphically intensive games; like League of Legends, will run at a stable 40 - 60.
(I'm not sure if this helps you any.)

Hey now, vista isn't that bad. At least it's better than 8 (imo).
My PC that's broken now runs 7, and I miss it. xD
7 > Vista
Vista > 8
8.1 > 8
7 > 8.1 (for gaming, imo)
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

At least I'm still not running XP. ;)
(Yes, some people are still running XP)
Topic Starter
IxWolfie
bump because I still have this issue. ._.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie
Since uh, y'know nobody decided to continue helping me since yesterday; I figured it out myself.
Thanks abraker for trying, though. c:
abraker
What was it? It would be helpful to know for future reference.
Topic Starter
IxWolfie

abraker wrote:

What was it? It would be helpful to know for future reference.
Seems to be something with my skin, as when I switched it; the whole thing kind of started to work again. I reinstalled the same skin, and it started to do it again; deleting it, fixed it. I'm not sure why, and really I don't think it's a huge deal. But if anyone else has this problem, I'm sure either changing the skin or reinstalling the game will help. c: