forum

3-finger tapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tripletth
Would it be considered cheating if I would bind my left mouse button to my keyboard, allowing me to use three fingers on my tapping hand?
blahpy
yes
Topic Starter
Tripletth
well shit.
Railey2

blahpy wrote:

yes
what? where does it say that...
FuZ

Railey2 wrote:

blahpy wrote:

yes
what? where does it say that...
Here
Aurani
I would suggest you stop trolling people that want something constructive here, and go back to your FG for that.

Keep the cancer isolated, please.

OP - it's not cheating, go on.
Endaris
Afaik left mousekey is blocked while the left keyboard-key is held down and vice versa.
That would kill any attempt to stream with 3 fingers or make it harder than 2 fingers at least.
drum drum
moved to gameplay & rankings
Gumpy
You could try I doubt it will help you tho
ZenithPhantasm
Idk
Thatgooey
I suppose you could. I know people used to use tap+key with tablets back when I started to try and be faster. Don't see how that is any different than what you are asking. A mouse button is a button after all, just in a different spot. Nobody of note has replays of them beating maps made possible by 3 unique keystrokes, so I guess there isn't much controversy to an unproven technique.
GoldenWolf

Endaris wrote:

Afaik left mousekey is blocked while the left keyboard-key is held down and vice versa.
That would kill any attempt to stream with 3 fingers or make it harder than 2 fingers at least.
More precisely, you can't use K1/K2 and M1/M2 at the same time, basically rendering your attempt at 3 fingers tapping useless.

What you could do however is 4 fingers tapping, alternating with something like K1 > K2 > M1 > M2, which does work.
I don't recall anyone maining that playstyle, but I've seen Spro(sive) doing that in some of their older replays on stacked streams (This map comes to mind, unfortunately it was a nomod score and it went outside the top50 over time, I didn't think about saving it either.)

EDIT: hey gooey long time no see you in here
bigfeh
I use m1m2 and k1k2. Just do it but know it'll probably fail hard
cheezstik
It could be considered macroing and therefore against the rules, but even if you did this, it wouldn't help you much (It'd probably make you worse if anything), and you wouldn't get caught I'm sure.
Topic Starter
Tripletth
Well, if you never try, you never know.

I'll report back with results.
trebby
I'm more interested in how you would stream with three fingers.
Topic Starter
Tripletth
Alright, so here's the verdict:

It could theoretically work. If you're using for instance 1, 2 and 3 on the numpad, you can bind the left mouse button to 1 using third-party software, K1 to 3 and K2 to 2. It registers all keys if you use a 'bouncing' pattern like 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3..., but only if you make sure that you keep actually lifting your fingers; you can not hold down 1 and 3 at the same time or it won't work. You can stream at very high speeds if you keep it consistent though.

The real problem is that it's a very awkward playstyle, even for someone who mostly alternates (like me). You would seriously have to put in a lot of effort to learn this, and I doubt the payoff would be worth it in the end. You could try going for a hybrid style where you mainly single tap with your index finger on 3 and only switch to three-finger tapping at streams, or maybe alternate between 2 and 3 instead of single tapping... Either way, it would be extremely confusing in the beginning. Also, because you cannot have 1 and 3 held down at the same time it puts a lot of stress on your fingers, maybe even more than double-tapping streams at higher speeds.

Regardless, I'm going to master the three-finger-bouncing playstyle because I have no direction in life. Also because people will then know me as 'that one guy that will never be good at osu! because he refuses to just learn how to stream lol'.
7ambda
I suppose it could make triple-spaced notes such as on Tengoku to Jigoku (Mercurius's Another) easier to do.
Karuta-_old_1
I am sure you will find lifting up your finger on time difficult for harder songs
Bauxe
If it was a good way to play people would already be doing it.

And no decent players do it.
E m i
happy 1000th post
show more