forum

I need some tips for doing stacks

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LeaveDoubt
I'm pretty new to the game, currently at 330ish pp..
Is there any trick to doing stacks of 3+ single taps? I know, I've heard keep on practicing etc., but it's just not clicking in.. With jumps I can alternate between taps, but when they're stacked alternating just doesn't feel right since the taps aren't 'moving' .. It's been really annoying me, I can get S's in 3.5* maps that don't have many stacks, but when maps are stacked with them, then I start feeling hopeless :>, ending up with B's.. Anyone know of any good practice maps for stacks that aren't too fast? Tips are more than welcome. Using keyboard/tablet .. S/D for tapping (used Z/X before.)
Usually I end up getting 300 for the first two taps of the stack and then I end it with a 100 or 50.. Rarely do I get to see a nice blue stack Q_Q One day..
Vuelo Eluko
listen to the music, practice, you'll get it down within a week, even I did
uzzi
trebby

jesus1412 wrote:

Triples are simply a set of three notes typically 1/4 beat apart. They can either be places as a stack or a very short three note stream.

There are a few ways to hit triples, each one again with advantages and disadvantages. The first way which is far more appropriate for a user who alternates each beat is the zxz xzx pattern, switching the key used to start each triple allowing for increased speed. Doing triples this way will benefit you in the long run albeit a little harder to learn than the zxz zxz technique. Using zxz xzx allows you to continue ploughing through triples for longer than you could hold a stream at that speed due the break each finger receives between each set of triples.

The other patten used is the zxz zxz pattern. Players who use this pattern may have an easier time in the short run however multiple consecutive triples may be hard to perform due to the fact that it is the equivalent of streaming constantly for your lead finger while the other receives rests between each set. Although this may sound worse in every feasible way, most people generally find it easier to keep a rhythm using this method as performing the pattern requires the same keyboard clicks as a stream would.

In generals triples should run far more naturally on your fingers than a stream would once you learn to read them. The patterns mentioned should also work for tap/mouse + keyboard or mouse only players.

Or maybe you could just... practice.

I found this map recently which is amazing for practicing triples however it's incredibly difficult (the level 1 difficulty).[/box]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When in doubt, refer to our lord and savior jesus.
Mahogany
I played that really dumb McRoll'd map, and the constant triples section really drilled the motion into my head. That said, that map is really really bad, so I guess what I'm trying to say is to practice, play more, do more triples. You're still just beginning.
GhostFrog
I had trouble with that too when I started. Might be worth trying out singletapping and seeing if it in general comes more naturally to you. If you want to keep alternating or if it feels more natural to you, it's worth it to try to train this issue away now or you'll end up with some strange habits that will make things more difficult later. It's hard to give suggestions of good maps for it at your current level, but if you come across a map with stacks that you just barely can't play properly, retry it a bunch and really focus on your key presses when you get to the stacks.
Barusamikosu
Keep retrying those maps that are giving you trouble and experiment with the timing of your presses. Most stacks will have consistent spacing that follow the tempo of the song, like an extended triple. Learning to be accurate with triples and stacks now will make streaming (and eventually deathstreams) much easier for you later. So, practice. :D
Charm

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/148393

wow ty based uzzi <3
Topic Starter
LeaveDoubt
Thanks for the great help and advice everyone ^_^ I'll do my best !
Salytmacska

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

The hardest part in that are the jumps between two stacks.
Also I'm don't think the OP meant streaming but stacking in general(can be with both 1/2 and 1/4 notes) but it might only be me. Anyway I don't think this is a probelm with alternating I think it is easier with distance between the notes because travelling just gives a kind of time measurement or something like that. Listening is the music instead of the focusing on the visuals is probably the best you can try.Maybe try hidden.
GhostFrog

Salytmacska wrote:

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Anyway I don't think this is a probelm with alternating
For a while after I started encountering stacks, I would singletap them if they were 1/2 despite alternating everything else. I later had issues with alternating certain patterns that were more horizontal than vertical and paired left-->right with x-->z or vice versa, despite still alternating. Alternating doesn't have to be the same thing as just slow streaming through an entire map and training away certain singletapping mindsets while alternating in a singletappy way can be difficult later on.
Kouya-
alternate good .
EneT
play moar
ZenithPhantasm
Play alot more.
dung eater
It's hard, i still have hard time alternating some stacks or patterns.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/295368 the start in this is hard might be good practice.
zwoots
egg pain