forum

Osu!mania Offset problem!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Grassgrow
Hello,

I used to play quite a bit of osumania about a year ago, which was my first rhythm game. I then switched over to Stepmania 5.06 because I wanted to primarily play 4K mode. It took a lot of getting used to the sound offset, but when I managed, it was way better and felt more comfortable than in osumania, because the sounds my button-presses made when I was playing actually fit the rhythm of the song, unlike with O!M.

When I attempt to play osumania now, it is really awkward and i notice that i have to press the notes WAY earlier than i would usually (like in SM), consequently sounding like shit and not fitting to the rhythm of the song.

I tried to tweak the Universal Offset to -5, -10, -20, 0, 5, 10, 20 but it is all the same problem. I cannot play the song and have my button presses actually fit it. Can anyone please help me because I cannot play osu!mania but really want to D: :| :| :|
EtienneXC
Just keep on trying offsets. It took me months to adjust to this game/find my offset. I ended up with -70 lol.
Topic Starter
Grassgrow
The thing is though if i have it at like +90 then the button-presses are..somewhat better but the beatmap itself is moved way out of proporion...it doesnt make any sense..is there some sort of option to change the visual delay or so like in SM?
Redon
Topic Starter
Grassgrow

Redon wrote:

By default, osu!mania uses hitsounds like osu! standard. You are supposed to time those hitsounds to the music - and because there is a very noticeable delay between the time you press a key and the time the game registers it and plays a hitsound, you're really meant to hit everything a little early. If you want to time your own keypresses to the music instead, hitsounds will only throw you off, they will always produce a sound a while after your keypress.

peppy apparently hates the idea of anyone not using hitsounds so there is no straight-forward alternative to this, but you can use universal offset as a workaround (which, if I understand correctly, is really meant to be used to fix offsets between audio and video).

Turn the games sound effect volume down to 0. Then you figure out how much earlier the game was expecting you to hit notes to begin with, and you adjust the universal offset to compensate for it. The best way to do this is using easy maps that you get a consistently high accuracy and low unstable rate on. It will be a negative number. To give you some examples, the value I use for my keyboard is -73ms, and a controller I use seems to be around -50ms

The downsides of this is that keysounds won't work for obvious reasons, there's even the rare case where a map is fully keysounded so it goes all silent (Imperishable night, for example). You could also turn the effect volume on and use a skin with silent hitsounds if you want to keep UI sfx, but that won't solve the former problems either.
Hmmm I see... Thank you very much for all this insightful information! It just really frustrates me that the mania gamemode is NOT a gamemode about rhythm but a gamemode about timing hitsounds to the songs, requiring the player to hit the notes noticeably earlier, which is not what a real rhythm game should all be about. I find it weird that just because the Standard gamemode relies so heavily on hitsounds, it means that all other gamemodes should too.

I will continue to tweak around in the offsets...maybe I can find something comfortable if I try hard enough...such a pain :x :x :x :? :? :?
Redon
Bobbias
Osu's default hitsounds have very little delay between when you press the key and when they are heard. I play with -20 global offset, which basically accounts for the delay between the moment you hit a key and when the game is able to process it. I set this delay before I played FL, however, since I play with FL now I rely heavily on hitsounds for timing. Just by playing so that hitsounds are on time, I can tell if a map is offtime by more than about 5ms.

The HitPosition is an important visual cue for most players, and that is probably what you need to adjust here. Pick a global offset that seems ok, and then begin adjusting your HitPosition in skin.ini until your timing feels more natural.
Redon
Bobbias
When I say -20 is enough to account for input lag, I mean the most basic level of input lag. When a key is pressed, there's a small delay in the keyboard because switches bounce a bit, so the keyboard waits till the switch has stopped bouncing. I'm not sure what modern keyboards use, but it's common to use values like 5ms when writing your own debounce code for something like an arduino (I'd assume modern keyboards use shorter times than this). Then there's the delay from the moment the keyboard's debounce setting is done until the signal actually reaches the CPU. The -20 global offset should take care of that sort of input lag. Of course there's more lag than that, such as the time it takes osu to fetch the input message from the operating system and respond. I don't have any numbers, but i'd assume that the initial delay is probably only a few ms, but the second part is probably a lot longer, so I'd hope that my offset covers a decent amount of osu's input lag.

I don't like trying to play using the sound of my keyboard, but that's because I play on a laptop keyboard, and it's relatively quiet, so it's not very good to use. Of course, hitsounds aren't necessary for me either, since I've actually had some very good scores playing with osu completely muted, but I find that as long as there isn't some annoying amount of hitsound delay, I prefer keeping hitsounds on. I do however disable custom hitsounds unless something is keysounded and requires them.
abraker
Play this map until you can 99% it with your eyes closed. If you miss everything, start with your eyes open and look at your hit delay on results screen. Adjust offset as needed.