forum

[Archived] Osu blackscreens after finishing a beatmap.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Flozker
Problem Details:
Osu only shows a black screen and doesnt seem to respond to any input after finishing a beatmap.
Instead of the score screen, my entire screen just goes black and I can only close it by using alt-f4 or task manager.

EDIT: While I was trying to replicate this bug, it also occured the moment I clicked "solo play" from the main menu.
And now it's happening mainly after exiting the score screen, instead of at the moment of the score screen.

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
Andrea
Have you tried installing recent drivers from your audio and video card? Also what's your FPS limiter? Since when you've started having this issue? Did you do any recent change to the osu! options at all before this problem appeared? A bit too many questions but maybe the solution could be between these.
Topic Starter
Flozker
Setting the fps limit from 240 to 120 seems to have fixed the crashes.

EDIT: Nevermind, the crashes are occuring again. They did not happen for a while after changing the fps limit though. Very weird...

More accurately, the crashes seemed to have disappeared, but when I alt-tabbed out of osu and back again, Osu crashed. It then started the Osu patcher, which patched for a short time. I then launched Osu again and the crashes were happening again.

The crashes started happening after I re-installed Osu. I re-installed Osu because of other crashes that were happening, but those would just close Osu at random times and leave me with an error window.

I just tried to see if the crashes would persist when if I set Osu to borderless windowed, instead of fullscreen. Now I get the old error message that just says "Oh no! Osu crashed!".
VeilStar

Flozker wrote:

Now I get the old error message that just says "Oh no! Osu crashed!".
Click the image that says that, it will give you a crash log. Copy paste that crash log in here in a spoilerbox and code tags.
[box=crashlog][code]Insert the crash log here.[/code][/box]
Corefish
It could be you running your game is not running on your dedicated GPU

If you have a graphics card control panel try changing osu.exe to run on the GPU

(if a GPU is present)

You could switch the Graphics Backend (Open GL, Direct3D)
Andrea
I would suggest you to update your graphic drivers and see if something changes.

Also, try updating your .net framework as well if you don't have the latest version.
Topic Starter
Flozker
Click the image that says that, it will give you a crash log. Copy paste that crash log in here in a spoilerbox and code tags.
I haven't gotten another of those errors yet, but I will do this the next time it happens.
EDIT: I got the error window, I tried clicking the area where it said "Osu crashed", but it was empty and nothing happened. I tried clicking one of the smaller boxes at the bottom of the window, and it restarted Osu.

If you have a graphics card control panel try changing osu.exe to run on the GPU
I have a GTX 770, but no graphics card control panel where you can set which programs use it.

EDIT: I used PrecisionX to check my GPU usage, and it went up reliably while playing Osu. Therefore I doubt that it's not properly using my GPU resources.

I would suggest you to update your graphic drivers and see if something changes.

Also, try updating your .net framework as well if you don't have the latest version.
I downloaded the .NET 4.5.1 installer from microsoft, it said .NET 4.5.1 was already installed.

I let Geforce Experience check for GPU updates, but there weren't any, and I was already running the latest version.
Corefish
Has anything changed? that we need to know about?
Topic Starter
Flozker

ToastieCorefish wrote:

Not really. For a while I thought my problem was solved, since Osu wasn't crashing for a long time. This was after setting the fps limit to 120. But it just crashed on me again...
Corefish

Flozker wrote:

ToastieCorefish wrote:

Not really. For a while I thought my problem was solved, since Osu wasn't crashing for a long time. This was after setting the fps limit to 120. But it just crashed on me again...
Did you try changing the graphics back end?
abraker

Flozker wrote:

EDIT: I got the error window, I tried clicking the area where it said "Osu crashed", but it was empty and nothing happened. I tried clicking one of the smaller boxes at the bottom of the window, and it restarted Osu.
Yea, not all crashes end up with a crash log, making tracing it down a bit more difficult.
Topic Starter
Flozker

ToastieCorefish wrote:

Did you try changing the graphics back end?
I did now, I set set it to OpenGL locked at 120 fps. This seems to have fixed the crashing. OpenGL makes the game stutter sometimes in menus, but if it solves my issue I guess I'm going to keep it this way.
TheVileOne
I will advise you to try out the latest cutting edge . A significant change in how graphics are handled has been implemented. It might or might not have been resolved. (It's hard to say what is causing it).

If you get a crash without a log it is usually reported to EventViewer if you have it enabled. Note that the details given through EventViewer are a bit harder to understand.