forum

desk position for osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vali
So before I get started, I tried searching as much as I can for this type of topic, but found 0(I found more university ones)

Recently I've been getting into long maps(non-TV size) but one of my main problems is that I'm used to having my wrist at the edge of my desk.
If I play for about 2:30mins+ I will usually need to re-position(making me lose combos and such). I wanted to know if anyone else has had this type of problem. This is really bothering me and I feel like eventually I'll need to switch over to my arm resting on the table.

I just wanted to know if any other mouse players have had this problem, and if fixed, what did you do. I don't want to keep playing TV size forever.
The Gambler
Well, here's Luke having no problems whatsoever

Anyway, either you get a new desk for better mouse estate, increase DPI or do something like I did for S&G

Seriously, absolute positioning is the best for consistency. It's just too bad I'd never spend $80 on what is essentially a mouse shell (I want a dead G400)
Topic Starter
Vali

dagambler999 wrote:

Anyway, either you get a new desk for better mouse estate, increase DPI or do something like I did for S&G

Seriously, absolute positioning is the best for consistency. It's just too bad I'd never spend $80 on what is essentially a mouse shell (I want a dead G400)
Gonna try increasing sensitivity.
Topic Starter
Vali

dagambler999 wrote:

this is basically how I play. The bottom area of my arm(over the wrist) is usually red when I'm done playing.
ZenithPhantasm
Stop using your keyboard tray and use the top of your desk.
Topic Starter
Vali

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Stop using your keyboard tray and use the top of your desk.
The thing about it is that the top of my desk is glass and my keyboard tray is not. I don't use a mousepad with my tray because it has perfect movement. So if I move it to the top of my desk I'd have to get used to a mousepad(which are slow to move on)
I Give Up
Every mouse has some degree of mouse drift and you just gotta get used to it. The more you play with same mouse on same surface the more you get good at it. If you're gonna play long maps make sure they have well spaced repeat sliders or breaks throughout the song otherwise you won't be able to recentre your mouse. With mouse drift there are always gonna be maps that you absolutely cannot beat, even some easy ones.

dagambler999 wrote:

Seriously, absolute positioning is the best for consistency. It's just too bad I'd never spend $80 on what is essentially a mouse shell (I want a dead G400s)
I really want to try that, I even have a dead G400s with still working buttons and scroll wheel D:
ZenithPhantasm
Buy a hard/hybrid mousepad. I heard Artisan Shiden Kai Mid is fast.
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Buy a hard/hybrid mousepad. I heard Artisan Shiden Kai Mid is fast.
^^ Or something more accessible like a SteelSeries 9HD or a Razer Destructor. Usually any hard pad from the big brands is available at most computer stores. Or, try get someone to sandblast sheet aluminium for your hard pad.

If you're really hardcore, try grafting a wooden board on your keyboard tray like this. I once did a quick release version of this using clips to hold the board in place (for schoolbooks and stuff - the desk itself was very small)

ZenithPhantasm
Those hard pads literally eat mouse skates. Be prepared to pay alot for replacement skates
trebby
Well, I have a fairly large desk, so I don't have this problem.
You could always move your whole setup back so you don't have to keep your wrists on the edge (obviously)
But if you have no space, get a new desk, or move your desk somewhere else where there's new space. You could also get one of those table extenders, that slide out from underneath the desk.

or just use the poor man's solution and grab a stool to use as extra table space.
The Gambler

CuboidBeats wrote:

or just use the poor man's solution and grab a stool to use as extra table space.
I hear cardboard boxes also work