forum

Hovering transformed into Dragging?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zuikaku
Random post, but I've noticed that recently after taking a 3 month break from osu, I've started to develop a habit of dragging my pen across my tablet.
Is this a bad thing? I know that hovering is most likely better since you can prolong the lifespan of your tablet + you have that speed advantage but instead of raising the pen too high, I accidentally push it on my tablet but my speed and accuracy seems to be fine. Any thoughts on this, and what would be the best alternative? The tip of my pen has flattened out on an angle, making it look like a spear point :P
I think I should try to hover instead of drag, so would playing slow songs until I got used to it be a good idea? :roll:
woqx

Poisonmellon wrote:

I've started to develop a habit of dragging my pen across my tablet. Is this a bad thing?
no

Poisonmellon wrote:

hovering is most likely better since you can prolong the lifespan of your tablet + you have that speed advantage
no

Just do whatever feels more comfortable, it really doesn't matter.
B1rd
grip and style is pretty irrelevant, do what is comfortable.
pandaBee
It's not necessarily bad if you can pull it off. Personally I like to tap my tablet for jumps and stuff for the fun factor. Ofc I don't have mouse buttons enabled though.
Topic Starter
Zuikaku

pandaBee wrote:

It's not necessarily bad if you can pull it off. Personally I like to tap my tablet for jumps and stuff for the fun factor. Ofc I don't have mouse buttons enabled though.
Next gen cross-tapping :D
I once saw a video of someone who only played with a tablet and the buttons on the tablet pen lmao xD He didn't even tap the tablet, just hovered and clicked.
Had a large sum of pp too :o

Yeah, It's more like I'm resting the pen on the tablet, I'm not forcing it on the tablet now but I don't suspend the pen very much at all. Whatever works, 8-)
trebby
Play however you want to, it's always best to play in optimal comfort.
Unless it becomes a bad habit that may hinder your gameplay. Also, dragging won't wear down your nib unless you press to hard.
Vuelo Eluko
comfortable isnt always the best way to go
trebby

Riince wrote:

CuboidBeats wrote:

Unless it becomes a bad habit that may hinder your gameplay.
B1rd

Riince wrote:

In the case of pen grip it mostly is, your type of grip doesn't really have an effect on your gameplay unless it's uncomfortable, causing you to pay attention to your hand more and fail at focusing on the game.
woqx
current #1 player has the weirdest grip i've ever seen so it should be safe to say b1rd is right
ZenithPhantasm

woqx wrote:

current #1 player has the weirdest grip i've ever seen so it should be safe to say b1rd is right
8-)
otoed1
There is no huge advantage between dragging, tapping, and hover. When I started with tab I tried to play hover and didn't have the manual dex or patience to learn it. I then swapped to dragging. Later I got indecisive and wanted to hover again. This gradually turned into jump tapping and dragging on streams. Basically, do whatever want and it will work out.

I now play mouse and don't have to worry about anything :D
cheaptricks
There's nothing wrong with dragging and it's not worse than hovering. I mean the tablet was designed to be drawn on, so I wouldn't worry about that being a bad thing. Between the two playstyles, I would say that hovering gives you more freedom of movement and more speed, while dragging is more accurate. I've played with a full hovering playstyle and a mixed playstyle (tap hit circles, drag sliders and hover everything else) and I can say both can work. Just use what you find more comfortable.
Tenshinawi
I typically drag on sliders myself and I hover for the rest, but before that I dragged all the time and it's really no different. It's simply preference.
Corefish
I drag

Because I Can
-Atri-
I drag for spinners and i hover most time, It's so hard to spin hover for me
Yuudachi-kun
I used to do that, then I decided I didn't want to scratch the fuck out of my tablet.
The Gambler

Kheldragar wrote:

I used to do that, then I decided I didn't want to scratch the fuck out of my tablet.
OT: Azer is known to have a decal sheet on his tablet. I put frosted glass on mine for drawing purposes. Unless you're comfortable with getting bald spots on your tablet (learned it the hard way), get a cover sheet to protect your surface (WWW has a big ass shiny area on his tablet). Speed - and nib longevity - vs. control is the tradeoff you make here

Nibs are the least of your worries as you can buy & replace them; surfaces not so much (unless you have an Intuos 4 -> Wacom sells the official surface sheets for those).

That is, if you plan on full drag. The occasional tablet bump is little to worry about