forum

Real life vs Internet - personality

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kouya-
I sometimes do, but mostly I am the same in both worlds .

Although, if you were to approach me in real life, I'm a bit more awkward and shy, but once you get to know me ~ I'll promise you that you won't regret it :P
trebby
I try to be nice on both the internet and in real life, though people can get on my bad side for not using common sense or by being an all around idiot. I'm more of an introvert in real life, too. I don't have any friends at school, or anyone to talk to, which is why I still prefer to spend my time on a computer rather than in public events.

In all honesty, I think people on the internet are much more interesting than those in real life. everybody has an opinion, and they can say it without being embarrassed.
Conor
LoliPantsu
I act the same in real life as I do on the internet which is probably why alot of people think im weird.
Mafuuu
Same personality but I do enjoy things differently. In real life I tend to just watch people and observe how normal human beings act because I find it adorable how mundane everyone is/ is trying to be. On the internet though- I generally enjoy myself more because people tend to show their fun/ dramatic sides while not really giving a fuck anonymously.
eeezzzeee
A lot of people probably think it's supposed to be the other way around but I'm way nicer online..
Astrofiziks
there's not much of a difference between me online and off. i prefer to keep to myself and just observe what everyone else is doing for the most part, because i'm not entirely sure how to approach people or hold very good conversations. i think i tend to be a bit meaner online though.
silmarilen
online me is how irl me would be if i wasnt so scared of talking to people or speaking my mind.
EneT

bigfeh wrote:

Nope. What you see is what you get

I just really give even less of a fuck on the internet than I do on the real life for some reason. I wouldn't say that's the anonymity since well, I'm not anonymous (protip: nobody is) and I don't even try to hide who I am, really
this
Wind_14

mrdumpling64 wrote:

real life: almost don't really talk to anyone
internet: depends, sometimes i talk to many people but otherwise it's the same as real life
same here ,
KokoaCrunch
Well in real life most people tried to talk to me but i mostly ignored them, I'm more of an antisocial type i guess. But in the internet i keep spouting out nonsense trying to get people's attention.
A complete opposite :/
EneT

KokoaCrunch wrote:

Well in real life most people tried to talk to me but i mostly ignored them, I'm more of an antisocial type i guess. But in the internet i keep spouting out nonsense trying to get people's attention.
A complete opposite :/
In that case I would prefer that you act like your irl self more
Varetyr
Being online gives me much more time to choose my words, which helps a lot with my somewhat blunt nature :/
Aurani
I'm a sarcastic mongrel IRL, same as online.
sottovoce
Generally the same, but more friendly and personable in reality. I find it harder to build a rapport with someone over text and therefore can lack patience online.
gregest
I'm totally different
HaruryuuSan
Same irl and on the internet,

A potito
uzzi
I don't understand the concept of having an online personality. I've always found it to require effort to do something like that so I just don't.
Mahogany
IRL I'm withdrawn and won't talk to you unless I know you

Online I'm horribly blunt all the time and I'm not worried about pissing people off
Yuudachi-kun

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Online I'm horribly blunt all the time and I'm not worried about pissing people off
Be the same outside as you are here, like me.
Marcin
Been there, seen that, I was on convention a bit ago (pyrkon, you should recognize), and I can tell you about differences between RL and IL:

There are 3. types of people:

First that will be hating you in internet (I as moderator am hated a lot), but is not going to do a thing when he meets you in real life, and will generally stay cool
Second that will be cool in internet and even better in real life
Third one complete fucktards that will attempt to be idiots both in real life and internet

Unsurprising will be that first type of people are majority, then comes second, and last are exceptions, I've been literally threatened with death, and guess what? Not a single person that did it even tried to do so, more so, some were first type of people, so yeah, people can be total morons in internet, and cool in real life, but there are people that are dumb in both, but there are not as many (seen a few of them)

As for me, depending on situation in real life I can be both antisocial and open, that depends on what type of people I've to deal with (I don't mean friends and non-friends here).
In internet ... that depends on mood :D
Aurani
I beg to differ. Being open on the Internet (being a general dick) and completely withdrawn in real life means that the person lacks self-confidence and is generally a spongy nerd.
I would never attempt to befriend someone who can't even open his mouth IRL because he's too big of a fag, but acts like God almighty on the Internet because he KNOWS that no one can do him harm there. That's just utter spinelessness, besides the fact that they lack manners, even if they know they're pretty safe on the net.

If I'm brutally honest on the Internet, I'll surely be so in real life as well, and that's how it should be. Trying to pretend you're someone else in either direction is just disgustingly sad. Be yourself and be proud of who you are - even if you're a dick, be a fucking dick until the end, and don't deceive others!
Mahogany

Kheldragar wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Be the same outside as you are here, like me.
Dear god, talking about the stuff you talk to me in chat IRL? Everyone would think I'm wierd...er.

Aurani wrote:

I beg to differ. Being open on the Internet (being a general dick) and completely withdrawn in real life means that the person lacks self-confidence and is generally a spongy nerd.
Sounds exactly like me
Aurani

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Sounds exactly like me
Why would you be like that? I mean, unless you really enjoy being a dick, I see no reason why you would behave like that...
Mahogany
I don't mean to be a jackass (most of the time (not on these forums anyway)) but I'm usually incredibly blunt with what I say, not for the intention of being a dick, but because I've always been blunt with what I say.

It's the same reason I'm completely hopeless with people
bigfeh
and while we're at it (and if we're going to be honest), who doesn't enjoy being a dick from time to time
Aurani

Mahoganytooth wrote:

I don't mean to be a jackass (most of the time (not on these forums anyway)) but I'm usually incredibly blunt with what I say, not for the intention of being a dick, but because I've always been blunt with what I say.

It's the same reason I'm completely hopeless with people
No no, I didn't mean it like that. You have just said that you don't INTENTIONALLY want to be a dick, but people perceive you as one because of your straightforwardness. I would also fall under that category, so no, there is nothing wrong with that.
There IS, however, something wrong with intentionally wanting to be a mongrel towards other people because you know that you enjoy complete anonymity and thus safety on the Internet. That is what I meant with my other post.
Mahogany
Oh, my bad, I hadn't read your post correctly.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't indulge in a little jackassery from time to time, though.
Aurani
We all enjoy doing naughty things from time to time. :p
Marcin

Aurani wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

and while we're at it (and if we're going to be honest), who doesn't enjoy being a dick from time to time
I can be a dick too, despite looks, actually, everyone from staff can be if you're dick/dumb to them.
bigfeh

Marcin wrote:

Aurani wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I can be a dick too, despite looks, actually, everyone from staff can be if you're dick/dumb to them.
Most people (and just so we're crystal clear, I'm not most people in this case) would first assume staff are asses instead of normal people. It's happened to me and people often go "you're actually nice", which is... weird (especially considering it's me we're talking about here)

I mean staff were still people last I checked, and people gotta be people
Marcin
People that assume/think that staff are asses are almost always the ones who get silenced, so no surprise there \:D/
Aurani
I only got silenced two times, yet here I am, openly thinking that beyond the staff guys I really enjoy talking to, the rest are just pure asses who need to vent on others to attempt to cure their inferiority. :p
There are.... what, 40+ mods in total? I can think of 8 who I've talked to who AREN'T pure sadistic morons, and another 20ish who I've never even seen so I can't judge them, but the rest I can safely assume are fucking sadistic assholes, pure and simple. :p
bigfeh

Marcin wrote:

People that assume/think that staff are asses are almost always the ones who get silenced, so no surprise there \:D/
Genuine question: where did you get that from? Just because you assume someone's an ass, it doesn't mean you'd act like an ass

I mean, I wouldn't. I just try to avoid them most of the time

@edit
and yeah, even though I'm not gonna call names - because 1. I don't want to get silenced (since I'd be calling out some mods for being unable to take a fucking joke and applying incredibly overkill punishments and silences) and 2. it's a dick move - calling people out publicly is not okay in most cases anyways - I've seen and heard of some pretty fucked up stuff and absolutely disgusting cases of power abuse. Again, not naming names out of respect

but I've also talked to great staff members (whose nicks I won't reveal either in the name of fairness) that are absolutely great people and that I'd love to talk to more often and meet IRL. If you're reading this, you probably already know who you are. I love you <3
Marcin
I think I derailed topic a bit, back to the track we go!
Friendan

silmarilen wrote:

online me is how irl me would be if i wasnt so scared of talking to people or speaking my mind.
this
I only talk to a couple of friends irl
Yuudachi-kun

Marcin wrote:

Yeah, because they express their opinion
-sev
I'm 10 times gayer on the internet
Chiuyo
bigfeh

Chiuyo wrote:

In-real: I'm careful with not making weird jokes that makes people feel different about me, and I don't like sociolizing with a lot of people cuzzz it's too far away from my comfortable zone (?) I can't express my feelings at all too.

Internet: I'm too honest and always make sexual and immature jokes and literally don't give a crap if people consider me as a weird person. Also I'm more loveable for some reason.
your avatar makes me like you
show more