forum

Real life vs Internet - personality

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Makishima S-
Since it's night, my insomania keeps me awake almost 3rd day with short breaks for 2-3 hours of shitty dream, there is a topic what came into my head.

Not gonna post big story of life (while it sometimes have sense in question what i want to ask you), for me there is diffrence betwin real life and internet, big diffrence. People as living things will be the same but world is diffrent. Strange way of thinking? We all know that, noone looks into your eyes, noone watch your body language, people can judge you only by your way of thinking, way of writing / speaking.

Do you guys create your alter-ego, second part of yourself in internet? If yes, you feel like spending few min and being honest what's reason of this?

To be a bit more open and honest, as someone forever closed inside (complexes hurts :( and i don't have strenght to fight with them, like not in my age) who cannot be an as called "initiator" in interpersonal communication, using any posibility to stay away from group of people, living with forever thinking, being an passive observer - in short typical lonley person not accepting myself i just realized long time ago, that in time my personality in internet is way diffrent than in real life. I have less problems with communication but still huge freaking problems with starting conversations (and there is so many interesting people but heh...), i can be a bit more open etc. It doesn't change facts that i am still this guy who i am irl, just some parts are diffrent. I'm not a psychologist but it's weird and from other way, somehow keeps me alive mentaly.

Give trolls big punch into face plox, i want to keep good discussion thread.
FlyingNeko
The way I speak and the way I write are completely different. I have more freedom in writing since everyone who reads can 'hear' you; and less freedom in speaking, since very few listen. In the internet, I'm more of a playful, noisy, and extroverted person. In real life, I'm completely different. I do use different alter-egos in different situations, and lie when It's needed. I'm just a big liar and actor; I don't even know myself anymore.
kouzuki_karen
real life: almost don't really talk to anyone
internet: depends, sometimes i talk to many people but otherwise it's the same as real life
bigfeh
Nope. What you see is what you get

I just really give even less of a fuck on the internet than I do on the real life for some reason. I wouldn't say that's the anonymity since well, I'm not anonymous (protip: nobody is) and I don't even try to hide who I am, really
Yuudachi-kun
I am the exact same.
ziin
Everyone has a different personality on the internet.

Opposite of bigfeh, I give more of a fuck on the internet since it's easier to speak my mind and I don't worry about offending anyone. This is a rather common problem of the internet and what leads to cyber-bullying. The whole cyber-bullying aspect is quite disappointing to me because it's so easy for adults to turn into 12 year olds when speaking with actual 12 year olds who will take everything you say seriously and get offended.

For example, if someone says something stupid on the internet or starts a discussion, it's a simple matter for me to give my opinion on the matter. This is much harder to do in real life, partially because I care less.

I also closely guard my anonymity, not necessarily because I'm embarrassed about my online persona but that I like my privacy.
Kouya-
I sometimes do, but mostly I am the same in both worlds .

Although, if you were to approach me in real life, I'm a bit more awkward and shy, but once you get to know me ~ I'll promise you that you won't regret it :P
trebby
I try to be nice on both the internet and in real life, though people can get on my bad side for not using common sense or by being an all around idiot. I'm more of an introvert in real life, too. I don't have any friends at school, or anyone to talk to, which is why I still prefer to spend my time on a computer rather than in public events.

In all honesty, I think people on the internet are much more interesting than those in real life. everybody has an opinion, and they can say it without being embarrassed.
Conor
LoliPantsu
I act the same in real life as I do on the internet which is probably why alot of people think im weird.
Mafuuu
Same personality but I do enjoy things differently. In real life I tend to just watch people and observe how normal human beings act because I find it adorable how mundane everyone is/ is trying to be. On the internet though- I generally enjoy myself more because people tend to show their fun/ dramatic sides while not really giving a fuck anonymously.
eeezzzeee
A lot of people probably think it's supposed to be the other way around but I'm way nicer online..
Astrofiziks
there's not much of a difference between me online and off. i prefer to keep to myself and just observe what everyone else is doing for the most part, because i'm not entirely sure how to approach people or hold very good conversations. i think i tend to be a bit meaner online though.
silmarilen
online me is how irl me would be if i wasnt so scared of talking to people or speaking my mind.
EneT

bigfeh wrote:

Nope. What you see is what you get

I just really give even less of a fuck on the internet than I do on the real life for some reason. I wouldn't say that's the anonymity since well, I'm not anonymous (protip: nobody is) and I don't even try to hide who I am, really
this
Wind_14

mrdumpling64 wrote:

real life: almost don't really talk to anyone
internet: depends, sometimes i talk to many people but otherwise it's the same as real life
same here ,
KokoaCrunch
Well in real life most people tried to talk to me but i mostly ignored them, I'm more of an antisocial type i guess. But in the internet i keep spouting out nonsense trying to get people's attention.
A complete opposite :/
EneT

KokoaCrunch wrote:

Well in real life most people tried to talk to me but i mostly ignored them, I'm more of an antisocial type i guess. But in the internet i keep spouting out nonsense trying to get people's attention.
A complete opposite :/
In that case I would prefer that you act like your irl self more
Varetyr
Being online gives me much more time to choose my words, which helps a lot with my somewhat blunt nature :/
Aurani
I'm a sarcastic mongrel IRL, same as online.
sottovoce
Generally the same, but more friendly and personable in reality. I find it harder to build a rapport with someone over text and therefore can lack patience online.
gregest
I'm totally different
HaruryuuSan
Same irl and on the internet,

A potito
uzzi
I don't understand the concept of having an online personality. I've always found it to require effort to do something like that so I just don't.
Mahogany
IRL I'm withdrawn and won't talk to you unless I know you

Online I'm horribly blunt all the time and I'm not worried about pissing people off
show more