forum

Mouse sensitivity too high?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Ayase Eli]
I pretty much never play standard, and my mouse is pretty much the reason why. My friend suggested I go to the forums to look at all the sensitivity and "pointer-precision" "raw-input" nonsense to improve my playing experience. The first thing I noticed is that almost everyone seems to sit at like 1.0x osu sensitivity, and around 5/11-7/11 windows sensitivity. I play at about 3.0x osu sensitivity and 8/11 windows sensitivity...

When I try to turn all the numbers down, I'm like literally moving my mouse from my elbow across my table to reach things halfway across the screen... I actually can hardly keep my mouse on my mousepad because I have to push it around so much. Do all standard players use this much arm movement when they play, or do I have some setting horribly wrong? Or am I just poorly informed...
E m i
200DPI player?
Mahogany
Get a tablet, that'll fix your problems.
trebby
If your mouse sucks, get a new mouse.
If your settings suck, find new settings and play how you feel comfortable.
Or just get a tablet.
Topic Starter
[Ayase Eli]

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Haha yeah that's what I like to say when people tell me I should play standard, but so many people do just fine without it so I'm trying to step away from the "You need a tablet to really be good at osu" thing. And also I have 0 idea what my dpi is. I don't even know what my mouse is. It says microsoft...
Kouya-
What about the description underneath the mouse ?

Does it just say Microsoft ?
Topic Starter
[Ayase Eli]
Haha all the descriptions and such have long been peeled off. Even the grip isn't really there anymore XD. I get that the obviously solution for me is to get a new mouse, but the op really is just concerning the sensitivity thing, which no one has really answered yet.

Someone did mention something about dpi, which I don't really understand, but sifting around the forums still yields results with sensitivities farrrr below mine 90% of the time...
Endaris
your mouse has an own dpi-setting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_%28c ... ouse_speed
high dpi means that your cursor will move a lot when your hand only moves a little and low dpi means that the cursor will only move if you wildly swing your arm
therefore it looks like your mouse has really low dpi
personally i use 720 dpi and i'm far from swinging my arm with 1,0 osu! sensitivity and 6/11 windows(generally recommended values, also turn off acceleration if you didnt)
once i go down to 400 i really have to move my arm

so why is a high sensitivity in osu!/windows not good? cause it makes your mouse skip pixels to move faster therefore being less accurate while higher dpi won't skip pixels
ZenithPhantasm

Mahoganytooth wrote:

No join the mouse army ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)
bigfeh

Endaris wrote:

your mouse has an own dpi-setting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_%28c ... ouse_speed
high dpi means that your cursor will move a lot when your hand only moves a little and low dpi means that the cursor will only move if you wildly swing your arm
therefore it looks like your mouse has really low dpi
personally i use 720 dpi and i'm far from swinging my arm with 1,0 osu! sensitivity and 6/11 windows(generally recommended values, also turn off acceleration if you didnt)
once i go down to 400 i really have to move my arm

so why is a high sensitivity in osu!/windows not good? cause it makes your mouse skip pixels to move faster therefore being less accurate while higher dpi won't skip pixels
more like cpi?

you noted pixel skipping which I was going to do, so that's great. congrats
BerryJellyXD
I personally prefer a tablet just for this reason,
Because my mouse is 8200dpi and osu 1.79x wich admitted gets me to the other side of the screen with just a pink spasm.
However this means its so easy to skip over the notes that i lack accuraccy in any way.
Skipping pixels is not always good as i overdid this.
However and this also applies to tablet having higher dpi makes the area that you aim for smaller.
Making notes in general harder to hit, then again you dont want to swing your arm around like a bird either right?
finding the balance in this is wat makes each player different even iff your gear is not 100% new in store.
With the tablet though you can simply point/draw where you want to go wich makes jumps more easy to make because everyone in his life already drew once.
Considering you already drawn or wrote anything in your life makes a tablet more easy to learn but you still will have to make the same movements as a mouse.

My advice is dont look up to other people their settings and use your own settings wich you can sometimes adjust for each song.

After all even the top 50 in osu use a different offset for each song/attempt.
As long you dont overdo it and change your settings 24/7 then you should be ok
otoed1
If your sens is too high lower it, if its too low increase it. It is important to note that if you find your "perfect sens" that you can gradually increase it via the osu settings going up by say .01x every couple of days if you want to increase your dexterity and obviously, increase your sens.
-sev

JellyberryXD wrote:

Because my mouse is 8200dpi and osu 1.79x wich admitted gets me to the other side of the screen with just a pink spasm.
You can't be fucking serious

With that kind of dpi your cursor lands in another postal code
ZenithPhantasm

JellyberryXD wrote:

However this means its so easy to skip over the notes that i lack accuraccy in any way.
Skipping pixels is not always good as i overdid this.
However and this also applies to tablet having higher dpi makes the area that you aim for smaller.
Making notes in general harder to hit, then again you dont want to swing your arm around like a bird either right?
finding the balance in this is wat makes each player different even iff your gear is not 100% new in store.
With the tablet though you can simply point/draw where you want to go wich makes jumps more easy to make because everyone in his life already drew once.
Considering you already drawn or wrote anything in your life makes a tablet more easy to learn but you still will have to make the same movements as a mouse.

My advice is dont look up to other people their settings and use your own settings wich you can sometimes adjust for each song.

After all even the top 50 in osu use a different offset for each song/attempt.
As long you dont overdo it and change your settings 24/7 then you should be ok
Great Wall of Text.
I suggest using your mouse's native dpi. If you don't know what it is then google it.
Vax_old_1

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

No join the mouse army ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)
Mousemasterrace ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)
Yuudachi-kun

Potatocracy wrote:

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Haha yeah that's what I like to say when people tell me I should play standard, but so many people do just fine without it so I'm trying to step away from the "You need a tablet to really be good at osu" thing. And also I have 0 idea what my dpi is. I don't even know what my mouse is. It says microsoft...
Any so many more people do better with it.
yumi

Kaienyuu wrote:

JellyberryXD wrote:

You can't be fucking serious

With that kind of dpi your cursor lands in another postal code
lol

When I first started I didn't know a thing about mouse settings and thought that upping my sens to do bigger jumps was the way to go. Turns out it's the opposite.

I learned that having a lower sens helped with muscle memory and "snapping" ability, so I toned mine down to 6/11, 1.0x in game, and 800dpi (I use a Razer DeathAdder) and over the course of a week my aim really shot up.

Yes most top mouse players do use a very low sensitivity with high arm movement, with the lowest being cptnXn at 400dpi I believe and the highest being Doomsday I think.
Cowtools
I play with 1600 dpi
1.78 Ingame osu sensitivity
mcfreder

[Ayase Eli] wrote:

I pretty much never play standard, and my mouse is pretty much the reason why. My friend suggested I go to the forums to look at all the sensitivity and "pointer-precision" "raw-input" nonsense to improve my playing experience. The first thing I noticed is that almost everyone seems to sit at like 1.0x osu sensitivity, and around 5/11-7/11 windows sensitivity. I play at about 3.0x osu sensitivity and 8/11 windows sensitivity...

When I try to turn all the numbers down, I'm like literally moving my mouse from my elbow across my table to reach things halfway across the screen... I actually can hardly keep my mouse on my mousepad because I have to push it around so much. Do all standard players use this much arm movement when they play, or do I have some setting horribly wrong? Or am I just poorly informed...
Hi,

I have a Mad Catz RAT 5 mouse and my dpi is set to 3000 DPI and I use 1.05 mouse sensibility. With these settings I barely move my hand at all.

Higher DPI at the first time you try for sure you will be misclicking a lot. Depending on your hand muslcles you should get used to it within a week or a month at most.

And from my own experience, by also playing RTS games that require a lot of multitasking especially age of empires 2 and starcraf 2; these games will speed up the process of getting used to using a different mouse settings in a very short time :D

Best of luck,
N0thingSpecial
Jesus, guys read the time stamps
mcfreder

N0thingSpecial wrote:

For googlers xD
Xyrus_old_1

mcfreder wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

For googlers xD

Google tells you when it's going to be a necro...