forum

Left handed mouse player (right hand mouse) swapping to tab?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Worst Aim NA
So I am left handed but use a right handed mouse and have for my whole life. I am thinking of trying out tablet as the play style seems more fun. The issue is that when swapping, I'd either have to learn to tap with my right hand (so weak vs left) and regain months of muscle memory, or learn to use tablet with right hand, which is my non-writing hand... thus, probably lengthening the learning curve of tablet since if I used it with left hand it would be faster (right?)

So, are there any of you out there that have been in my situation? I wish I was just right handed so I would not have to go through the same extra learning I will have to go through if I do the swap. If you are like me, what did you end up doing? Just suck it up and take the extra time to learn? Or just give up with it and stick to mouse?

Endaris
theoretically using tablet with your left and keyboard with your right hand would make most sense as aiming with the tablet is a fine motor skill while tapping isnt
however as you learned proper aiming with your right hand on the mouse i don't see why it shouldn't work with a tablet as well.
personally i feel like the tapping hand is more important in the end as the requirements for aim are more limited.
Both would be fine and you are capable of learning either so just do what feels better for you
trebby
Usually, left-handed players use the tablet with their left hand, and tap with their right. I've seen some players reverse this, though it's hard to learn to direct with your non-dominant hand. I'd say, just play with whatever feels comfortable with you.
Topic Starter
Worst Aim NA

CuboidBeats wrote:

Usually, left-handed players use the tablet with their left hand, and tap with their right. I've seen some players reverse this, though it's hard to learn to direct with your non-dominant hand. I'd say, just play with whatever feels comfortable with you.
But doesn't that go with tapping with non-dominant hand as well? In this case right hand. I tried it out just to see how much weaker my right hand is and its a crazy difference... No idea how I'd ever to the speeds I tap with while using left hand. Obviously it would just requires months of practice but then again, if I have to regain all of that tapping muscle, I'm trying to determine whether its not even worth switching to tablet and I'd end up at the same skill or high skill level if I just kept playing mouse.

You get what I am saying? Sort of hard to explain.
-sev
Writing =/= aiming.

Keep using your left hand for tapping and your right for aiming.
Topic Starter
Worst Aim NA

Kaienyuu wrote:

Writing =/= aiming.

Keep using your left hand for tapping and your right for aiming.
So are you saying that I should just stick to mouse? If writing is =/= aiming which is how I am seeing it.
-sev
No, I'm telling you that writing requires finer movements than aiming.
I Give Up
I'm trying to determine whether its not even worth switching to tablet and I'd end up at the same skill or high skill level if I just kept playing mouse.
You will go further with tablet regardless of which hand you use.
Mahogany
using tablet is free PP+free skill
Topic Starter
Worst Aim NA

KukiMonster wrote:

I'm trying to determine whether its not even worth switching to tablet and I'd end up at the same skill or high skill level if I just kept playing mouse.
Even with the massive handicap I will have? Using my off hand? That will be basically months and months of using tablet with my off hand where as I could just stay mouse and well, yeah I think you get it.
I Give Up
Yes I do get it. Still, you will go further with tablet. Or you can climb slowly with mouse your choice.
Topic Starter
Worst Aim NA
Hmmm I mean, its a stretch, but what about tap x? I know for a fact I'd be more comfortable with the pen in my left hand. My right hand is useless lol. So all I'd really need to learn to tapping for triples and such. Idk. I just need to buy a tablet and try it all out.
TakuMii
Hi, I'm a player that switched from right-handed mouse to left-handed tablet... I'll just say that it might feel as if you're relearning the game from the beginning, but don't get intimidated. With a bit of practice, you'll get back up to the level you were on the mouse, but it'll feel more natural in the long run.
(and I've experimented with tap+x... it might hinder your accuracy a bit though, so I feel that it'll take more practice)
Topic Starter
Worst Aim NA

YayMii wrote:

Hi, I'm a player that switched from right-handed mouse to left-handed tablet... I'll just say that it might feel as if you're relearning the game from the beginning, but don't get intimidated. With a bit of practice, you'll get back up to the level you were on the mouse, but it'll feel more natural in the long run.
(and I've experimented with tap+x... it might hinder your accuracy a bit though, so I feel that it'll take more practice)
Hmm I see. I fully realize my "skill" will be backwards regardless of which style I play. I guess there is really no reason not to buy the $30 tablet and try it all out. Encouraging to see someone else make the switch and do well.
bigfeh

KukiMonster wrote:

ayy not true

unless op is shit with da mouse
ZenithPhantasm

Mahoganytooth wrote:

using tablet is free PP+free skill
Dont forget to stick the pen up your behind for maximum pp size
sottovoce
Swap to using the tablet with your left hand.
You may use a mouse with your right but the chances are you have decades of learning to do that.
It will take a while to get used to.
Also, bear in mind this doesn't have so much to do with writing as it does with the fact that one hand is dominant over the other... you choose to write with your left because the left is stronger, not vice versa.
Also prepare for a massive shock at how hard streaming now is. I see you've already played the game a lot, so t's unlikely you'll ever be quite as good as tapping with your right as you were with your left, but generally aim is more important anyway.

Source: Left handed person who uses mouse with their right
B1rd
I changed to using tablet in my left hand. I think it's better to use your dominant hand for aiming and just relearn tapping.
-Soba-
you could switch to writing with your right hand along with right hand aiming