forum

Is alternating bad?

posted
Total Posts
show more
autoteleology

bigfeh wrote:

If you can singletap 200bpm without needing to alternate, then you can alternate at higher speeds. If you can singletap at 200bpm with both fingers, you should get to about 400bpm when alternating
By your logic I should be able to stream 800BPM if I bind M1 and M2 to the keyboard and use four fingers. Obviously this is not the case and not because of artificial technical limitations of binding M1 and M2 to keyboard. You've basically committed the fallacy of composition with your statement. Single tapping only makes you good at single tapping, though the reverse is not true for alternating.
Lagel

CuboidBeats wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
so why are you guys arguing.
someone has to be right
-sev

bigfeh wrote:

I should definitely note, however that it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
git gud with a trackball skrub
jasian

bigfeh wrote:

you're like the billionth person that implies I'm mad

I am not
Why do you assume I'm directing this at you? Everyone seems butthurt enough to post some nasty words to each other. I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
autoteleology

litejason wrote:

I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
Hello? You're on G&R. Who the fuck cares what OP wants when there's shitposting to do
Lagel

litejason wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I am not
Why do you assume I'm directing this at you? Everyone seems butthurt enough to post some nasty words to each other. I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
People jump to conclusions too much, you could be posting a legitimate answer/post and someone would be like "damn u gud troll plz tch" or "y u so mad kek cri 2 mum"
jasian

Philosofikal wrote:

litejason wrote:

I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
Hello? You're on G&R. Who the fuck cares what OP wants when there's shitposting to do
In that case this will be my last post on these forums. G'day all!
Lagel

litejason wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

In that case this will be my last post on these forums. G'day all!
Au revoir! I'll probs be soon to follow hue
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

If you can singletap 200bpm without needing to alternate, then you can alternate at higher speeds. If you can singletap at 200bpm with both fingers, you should get to about 400bpm when alternating
By your logic I should be able to stream 800BPM if I bind M1 and M2 to the keyboard and use four fingers. Obviously this is not the case and not because of artificial technical limitations of binding M1 and M2 to keyboard. You've basically committed the fallacy of composition with your statement. Single tapping only makes you good at single tapping, though the reverse is not true for alternating.
and you just committed the fallacy fallacy. Just because a fallacy was made, it doesn't mean the claim is wrong (and yes I'm serious)

Alternating requires higher finger control but less finger speed since you're dividing the clicks in both fingers.

You alts, try singletapping to see if you can go as fast

litejason wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I am not
because people usually direct that shit at me. Wouldn't be the first
autoteleology
You use an entirely different technique to singletap at high speed than you use to alternate. Fast singletapping basically involves locking your finger and using your wrist to tap. You cannot apply that technique to using two fingers. Period.
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
autoteleology

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Play more
You shouldn't bother posting anymore, I already have everything you have to say in my signature. 8-)
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating requires higher finger control but less finger speed since you're dividing the clicks in both fingers.

Less finger speed for single tapping, i.e. 0 speed for single tapping since we (full alternators) don't use it at all. That being said, streaming high bpm is the same whether you're a full alternator or not, since noone is going to be able to single tap at certain speeds or above. Single tapping creates a different kind of motion than you would get when you stream, since you use your wrist movement rather than your finger movements to hit the keys while keeping your fingers very stiff. Streaming requires a different technique altogether so in the same way that just because you jerk off at night with the speed of a motorboat it won't mean you can stream 420 bpm, you won't necessarily be a super fast streamer just because you can singletap.
ZenithPhantasm

Philosofikal wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Play more
You shouldn't bother posting anymore, I already have everything you have to say in my signature. 8-)
Omg wot a forum casual. Go back to noscoping in CoD pls
autoteleology

pandaBee wrote:

420 bpm
420 blazes per minute
ZenithPhantasm

pandaBee wrote:

Streaming requires a different technique altogether so in the same way that just because you jerk off at night with the speed of a motorboat it won't mean you can stream 420 bpm, you won't necessarily be a super fast streamer just because you can singletap.
/thread :)
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

You use an entirely different technique to singletap at high speed than you use to alternate. Fast singletapping basically involves locking your finger and using your wrist to tap. You cannot apply that technique to using two fingers. Period.
Seen players use the wrist to alternate and I don't move my hand when I alternate on the keyboard, I just use the fingers

pandaBee wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Less finger speed for single tapping, i.e. 0 speed for single tapping since we (full alternators) don't use it at all. That being said, streaming high bpm is the same whether you're a full alternator or not, since noone is going to be able to single tap at certain speeds or above. Single tapping creates a different kind of motion than you would get when you stream, since you use your wrist rather than your fingers to hit the keys while keeping your fingers very stiff. Streaming requires a different technique altogether so in the same way that just because you jerk off at night with the speed of a motorboat it won't mean you can stream 420 bpm, you won't necessarily be a super fast streamer just because you can singletap.
autoteleology
That's 168 BPM who gives a shit

that being said apparently this guy can stream 340BPM if only he used two fingers omg!!1
trebby

bigfeh wrote:

So by your logic if I can pass this song with two fingers I'm better than this guy?
Lagel

Philosofikal wrote:

You do it mister CoD king
ziin

Philosofikal wrote:

Is this fast enough for you?

Also, if you single tap at a high BPM, you can double tap at twice that BPM, though your hit window is decreased. Considering that 1600 BPM 1/1 is 37.5 ms, there's a 35 MS window for you to hit 300 and 300 on both notes, else you get 100 on the other one (which isn't terrible).
autoteleology

ziin wrote:

Also, if you single tap at a high BPM, you can double tap at twice that BPM
No you can't, this is bullshit as I have already previously explained in detail

Show me a video where someone does this single tapping jackhammer motion with two fingers on the same hand
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

ziin wrote:

Show me a video where someone does this single tapping jackhammer motion with two fingers on the same hand
Yeah, it's obviously not double speed strictly speaking

but faster nonetheless, which is the fucking point
autoteleology
No. Single tapping at high speed and alternating require two entirely different hand movements. You cannot do anything approaching that single tap jack hammer with two fingers. It is a completely separate skill, gtfo with this insanity
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

So if what you're saying is true, people that single tap should be significantly faster streamers than alternating players are, can you actually prove that and not just say it's true because you think it is? Show me some statistics fehchan.
ziin

Philosofikal wrote:

ziin wrote:

The 300 hit window is 40 ms long. at 1600 BPM, each beat is 37.5 ms apart from each other. If you press 2 buttons at the same time you will hit 2 notes, and they can be hit both for 300 ms if you hit during the 5 ms window that they overlap (I was mistaken on the math, sorry). If you don't hit that 5 ms window, you will 300 one and 100 the other.

double tapping is easier and is faster than alternating tapping though it is significantly less accurate.
Endaris
ok, beware, serious post

as i'm full-alternating here's my insight on the topic:

I think alternating is the best way to start playing the game.
Reasoning is the following:
You instantly learn to alternate some patterns that you could easily single tap at easier songs but it will become impossibru at insanes/extras with higher bpm like triples, consecutive fast doubletaps etcpp
From what I've tried(I occasionally start singletapping with any of my both alternating fingers) it is relatively easy to go back to singletapping if you started playing the game alternating. My accuracy doesn't suffer at all(unless the map is fast or consists of triplespam and i try to singletap the triples) and 70% of my skill is perception, knowledge and aim anyway and it lies within my mouse hand and my eyes. And I'd highly doubt it's different for any player around my casual skilllevel.

tl;dr As alternating is mainly a mental problem(due to different reasons) it's easier to go from alternating to singletapping than the other way around. Alternating players don't have a general problem with singletapping it's just more relaxed to alternate when they can already do it.

The main thing that's really different i noticed so far is reaction on hitsounds and in that context your consistency.
With singletapping the feedback of hitsounds is absolutely clear and a conscious reaction will lead to better results which isn't a necessity at all when alternating.
Tbh I would love to have two hit error bars, one for each key I'm using ._."
autoteleology

ziin wrote:

If you press 2 buttons at the same time you will hit 2 notes
bigfeh

pandaBee wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

So if what you're saying is true, people that single tap should be significantly faster streamers than alternating players are, can you actually prove that and not just say it's true because you think it is? Show me some statistics fehchan.
what I'm saying is if you singletap, you naturally build speed up so you're fast enough to click shit when you need to alternate

I have the other finger just waiting to click, so while you're alternating I'm singletapping and whenever I need to be faster, I have the other finger
ZenithPhantasm
You can reach jackhammer speeds with two fingers by tilting your hand rapidly.
bigfeh
and on another note who is this jack and why is that named after his hammer
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

what I'm saying is if you singletap, you naturally build speed up so you're fast enough to click shit when you need to alternate
What I'm saying is if you alternate, you naturally build speed up so you're fast enough to click shit when you need to alternate.
dung eater
imo you build speed slower when you alternate, unless you play really stream heavy maps

alternating you get half the stress on fingers on what a singletapper would singletap, it's like using half the weight when lifting

i alternate and singletap moving just fingers, this is how i see it
bigfeh

jaaakb wrote:

imo you build speed slower when you alternate, unless you play really stream heavy maps

alternating you get half the stress on fingers on what a singletapper would singletap, it's like using half the weight when lifting

THIS IS MY FUCKING POINT
I LOVE YOU
alternating isn't bad
Sync
ITT: semantics that don't matter

Sync wrote:

ITT: semantics that don't matter
omg its sync so pro
ZenithPhantasm

jaaakb wrote:

Singletappers use wrist. Alternaters use fingers. Two different muscle groups. Your point is invalid.
Salytmacska
After reading 3 pages of pure confusion I feel the need to post(after 6 months of reading xD).Hi BTW!

So, my point of view. Your streaming speed is only as fast as your slowest finger, and if you can singletap 300 with 1 finger and 200 with the other(not by using your wrist...because alternating needs you to move your both fingers you can't lock them like people do when singletapping), your streaming will speed still be 200. So training one finger is not enough for getting better at streaming.

I think this not only says that bigfeh's wrong but also that alternating might even train your speed faster.

Now answering the OP (if anyone's still interested in it):

As an alternater I don't think it can handicap a player. Sure you might have a hard time doing triples at the beginning but I from my experience it makes very relaxing to play faster 1/2 spam beatmaps where others might just tap like crazy (so better stamina) and also makes easier to start a stream or basically any pattern on either finger. I'm sure it is not worse than singletapping so as long as you don't feel that you have to learn singletapping you don't have to switch playstyles.

I already feel better xD. Guess I'll try to be more active so say hi to the newest forum user. :D
nrl

bigfeh wrote:

THIS IS MY FUCKING POINT
I LOVE YOU
Dude, we understand what you're saying, the issue is that it's completely moronic. You don't improve finger-tapping speed by wrist-tapping, period.
show more